Heatsink/Fan upgrade w/out mobo removal??

sawdin

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
My Dell XPS 8100 desktop is starting to sound like a jet and when I checked my temps after the computer was on for about an hour (nothing cpu intensive), the core temps were around 57 degrees centigrade. Thus, I want to replace my heatsink/fan and the case fan. Someone on another forum suggested the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO for the new heatsink/fan combo, which requires the installation of a mounting plate behind the motherboard. As the case does not have a cutout, I have to remove the motherboard, which I’d rather not do. Is there an effective and QUIET heatsink/fan combo that can attach using plastic pins, or will I just have to bite the bullet and remove the mobo?

Questions:
The EVO works with LGA 1366/1155/1156/775 sockets, but I can’t find any identifier near the processor or on the board. However, I have an Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, so I should have an LGA 1156 socket. Correct?

Current case fan is FoxConn PVA092G12M which is listed as 92mm x 92mm x 25mm (I measured outside of fan case as 3 5/8” x 3 5/8”). Any recommendations for a quiet, but effective, case fan?

While I have the mobo out, is there anything else that I should upgrade? The power supply does not seem that loud and I’d rather not drop money on a power supply if not needed. I’m not a gamer, nor do I do 3-D rendering, video production, etc. But if it is easy to swap out and there is something quieter/better for around $50 or less, I'd probably switch out the ps.

TIA!!

Heatsink_zpse4ea1299.jpg.html

Plastic Pins:
http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/sawdin/media/PlasticHeatsinktabs_zps2dfc9bff.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

sawdin

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Not sure what you mean by wanting 120mm fans for exhaust and intake. Do you mean replace fans that come with it with two stacked together, or do you mean one 120mm fan to replace fan on this unit and another 120 mm fan for case exhaust? Sorry, but I'm a total noob when it comes to cooling.

Thanks

Compared to the OEM fan, this thing looks like it will do the job...just hope it's not too loud....

sawdin

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

sawdin

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks...I'll probably start off w/ the 92 mm fan that comes with it, which happens to be the size of my case fan...so I'll grab a couple of different 92 mm fans when I order the cooler and can swap them around and hopefully find one that works and isn't too noisy.

Thanks again...