Solved

CPU charts question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Hardware
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 8:17:42 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldnt figure out where to put it.

In most all of the benchmark articles on this site, there is a breakdown of all the components being used, as well as what was actually tested for the software. This lets you replicate the results if you had the same hardware. So, in the CPU charts section (specifically the 2009 update 1), there are all these benchmarks with various programs and scores, but the breakdown of hardware and software used isn't there. I looked for over an hour, maybe I'm just stupid, but I couldn't find it. Is it actually posted anywhere?

The 3dmark vantage scores for my chip are nowhere near what my ATI powered machine is pulling, so I'm thinking the GPU was nvidia, which would have bumped the CPU scores. I understand it's mostly irrelevant, the charts are there to show the differences in CPUs. Well, I want to upgrade my q6600 and I'm trying to find out numerically how much better a q9500 or thereabouts is going to perform, and I get CPU of 11362. This doesn't help me, I want to see how my OCed rig compares to buying a new chip, if it would be worth it. I don't want to get all new hardware yet. Also, wtf with q9xxx chips not dropping in price yet.

More about : cpu charts question

a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 9:23:31 AM

festerovic said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldnt figure out where to put it.

In most all of the benchmark articles on this site, there is a breakdown of all the components being used, as well as what was actually tested for the software. This lets you replicate the results if you had the same hardware. So, in the CPU charts section (specifically the 2009 update 1), there are all these benchmarks with various programs and scores, but the breakdown of hardware and software used isn't there. I looked for over an hour, maybe I'm just stupid, but I couldn't find it. Is it actually posted anywhere?

The 3dmark vantage scores for my chip are nowhere near what my ATI powered machine is pulling, so I'm thinking the GPU was nvidia, which would have bumped the CPU scores. I understand it's mostly irrelevant, the charts are there to show the differences in CPUs. Well, I want to upgrade my q6600 and I'm trying to find out numerically how much better a q9500 or thereabouts is going to perform, and I get CPU of 11362. This doesn't help me, I want to see how my OCed rig compares to buying a new chip, if it would be worth it. I don't want to get all new hardware yet. Also, wtf with q9xxx chips not dropping in price yet.

Can't seem to find the config details, I know they used to have a link to the complete details but I can't find it now.

In my opinion though, the 9500 might be better as it made with a later process and should consume less heat, less power, implying (but not guaranteeing) a better overclock. Also since it's the End-of-the-line for the C2Q series, there's probably little reason to have a price drop as the 775 is starting to be a market for "a little bit ancient" tech.

What games are you going to play anyway?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 12:59:21 PM

With out giving you a chart I can tell you that the 9500 is about 6 to 8 percent faster clock for clock. Hardly worth the upgrade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 3:54:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. ksampanna, nice link. I didn't know that site had such charts, very cool.

"What games are you going to play anyway?" - anything new and modern, at 1080p with the details turned up. Most games that have come out in the last 2 years play at 50-60 frames or better, so no problems on that front for me. No Crysis, I tried it, it's just not that cool a game past the eye candy.

Since I am OCing my q6600 to 3.2, 3.6 when I need to do demanding stuff, I wanted to see where the fits in the charts. I am also running 2 4870s (512mb) on a p45 board. I think I could OC better with a newer chip, maybe hit 3.6 or 2.8 on a q9500. Is that possible? I have a sunbeam CCF, works damn well on the q6600.

"Hardly worth the upgrade" - yes I totally see the validity of the statement, but I don't play games as much as I did when I bought all the hardware, so this would be "finishing off" this rig and having it muscled as far it can go without bottlenecking somewhere. Mostly I am looking at the OC potential of the 45nm chips.

And for the most part, I don't see a $400 difference in performance between my work rig, and i7 920 OCed to 3.6 and my rig now, unless I do some transcoding or other processor intensive stuff.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 4:01:03 PM

The thing is you can get a new board and chip for around 300 USD. I just don't see the point in buying old tech.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 4:41:06 PM

I would need new ram, as I have DDR2 800 right now. Add in 6-8 gb of ram - that's another $200 bucks, minimum. So its $500 bucks more. And looking through the cpu charts, a newer mobo and chip may only net 20% more performance than what I am running.

So $200 for 10% (I will OC it) vs. $500 for 20-25% more. I looks even to me, aside from buying old stuff. Last chance to talk me out of it.
m
l
May 20, 2010 4:51:49 PM

The truth of the matter is you're probably better off keeping the $200 for when you decide to finally get a new system. The 10% performance boost doesn't sound like it justifies a $200 tag. Meanwhile, since your next upgrade is going to require a new board anyway, you can save your money for when that time comes around. Or spend it on h&b if you want. Your call really. Either way this seems like a steep upgrade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 5:11:41 PM

You might be right, but all things being equal, at least you'll have current hardware with some kind of upgrade ability. Don't forget you can sell your old hardware on EBAY, and effectively get yourself a cheap upgrade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 5:47:34 PM

Your current CPU @ 3.6 is going to beat/match ANY Core2Quad and ANY Phenom II x4 on those charts, fyi.

If you live near a microcenter they have Q9550s for under $200. Including OC headroom you can get a good 20% performance gain over your Q6600 (assuming you get to 3.8-4.0 region), which the Q9550 does with ease if your mobo can handle 450-470FSB.

You are on an older tech, but for games you will gain nothing (except maybe in a few CPU-bound games, which is rare) by changing platforms. DDR3 gives no significant increase and a high clocked C2Q is fine for 4870 crossfire.

I'll run some tests when I get home on the difference between 3.2/3.4 and 3.8/4.0ghz to give you an idea of what you'd gain if you haven't decided yet.

TBH you'd probable be fine sticking with a 3.6 QQ6600, we'll see!
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 5:54:25 PM

Quote:

Since I am OCing my q6600 to 3.2, 3.6 when I need to do demanding stuff, I wanted to see where the fits in the charts. I am also running 2 4870s (512mb) on a p45 board. I think I could OC better with a newer chip, maybe hit 3.6 or 2.8 on a q9500. Is that possible? I have a sunbeam CCF, works damn well on the q6600.

Hitting more than 3.4 with the q9550 depends on your board's capability. But if you can do that with the q6600, then maybe you can do the q9550.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 7:12:51 PM

He already has an overclocked q6600, is the q9 still going to be 20 percent faster? Your looking at 6 to 8 percent clock for clock and maybe a few percentage points more for the higher over clock the q9 will yield. I'm guessing 12 to 15 percent tops, if he overclocks the piss out of it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 10:41:02 PM

10% from IPC, 10% from clock frequency. ~20%

He may have a easier OC on the Q9550 as well, since he mentioned he only used 3.6 during demanding times.

I did mention that the Q6600 is probably fine to stick with.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 11:11:39 PM

Got ya

I would go with a one generation upgrade if I had money burning in my pockets and was inching to build something. Other than that, I think it's a waste of money. It's almost better to just slightly over volt the q6600, and overclock it to 3.6+, and get another year out of it.
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 2:55:39 AM

Best answer selected by festerovic.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 2:57:09 AM

all right, you all have convinced me to stick with it vs. the new cpu. Thanks for the advice.
m
l
!