Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Swiftech's H220 - there new take on AIC's

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
January 12, 2013 10:48:23 PM

Since I haven't seen this posted on here figured I would, although not really fond of AIC I found it interesting since I'm pretty new to the water cooling side of things and have been looking at possibly at some point doing a custom loop myself.
I know, I know another AIC cooler to flood the market although it looks like similar to a proper water cooling kit, but they have taken the idea and improved upon it significantly in my opinion.

Some quick features:

Comes prefilled(Plug & Play)

Fill port via the radiator

6w pump translating into better flow(verses the 1.3w on a H100)

Future expandable, you will be able to add to the loop if you want.

Suggested retail price of $139

Little preview at CES that Linus did with the CEO of Swiftech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZgctchIQ7M&feature=shar...

More about : swiftech h220 aic

January 14, 2013 10:05:11 AM

Yeah I saw this. Was truly amazed!

I want to get myself a water cooling setup, but at the moment I only care for cooling my CPU, and to set up an entire custom loop just for my CPU would end up being rather pricy.

Setting up a closed loop system like the H100i isn't an option for me though, since I do want the flexibility of being able to expand the loop in the future, and the H100i would then just be rendered useless...

Beyond that I had my concerns that many products were just too loud, loud pump, high spinning fans to make up for cheap radiator, etc.

In other words, whilst I was watching Linus's video earlier yesterday, it just came to me. This is exactly the product I've been waiting for! Good thing I held off buying a H100i or H80

Related resources
a c 76 K Overclocking
January 14, 2013 3:58:11 PM

Regarding the OP, you may be interested in posting new updates on watercooling in the discussions thread. Stickied at the top.
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2013 12:29:19 AM

Apologies, I didn't notice one was there to post such things.
a c 76 K Overclocking
January 15, 2013 1:18:49 AM

There's a first for everything :) 
January 15, 2013 2:53:19 AM

i just bought H100..not big difference between this..and later i will buy this AIO close loop to my GTX680..
This is futureproof for custom WC..
a c 76 K Overclocking
January 15, 2013 3:07:18 AM

:lol: 
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 15, 2013 12:49:46 PM

takpimanadah said:
i just bought H100..not big difference between this..and later i will buy this AIO close loop to my GTX680..
This is futureproof for custom WC..

Not exactly and not exactly the terms or conditions one should buy closed loop coolers. A custom loop would be far better suited for what you are planning to do.
January 20, 2013 12:22:40 AM

Wwhen is this coming out!!!! :ouch:  i want it already for my new build. :pt1cable: 
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2013 11:11:15 AM

arizad93 said:
Wwhen is this coming out!!!! :ouch:  i want it already for my new build. :pt1cable: 

Its suppose to be out in sometime in February.
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 20, 2013 11:54:29 AM

**This is futureproof for custom WC..**
This item is Not Custom W/c by a long stretch, although Swiftech are one of the best Aio manufacturers, its still not custom.
And I +1 Rubix, I wouldn't get one and mod it for a Gfx card, maybe they will bring out a gfx version but wait and see :) 
Moto
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2013 12:42:39 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
**This is futureproof for custom WC..**
This item is Not Custom W/c by a long stretch, although Swiftech are one of the best Aio manufacturers, its still not custom.
And I +1 Rubix, I wouldn't get one and mod it for a Gfx card, maybe they will bring out a gfx version but wait and see :) 
Moto

The people that say this is a replacement for a Custom water cooling setup are wrong but like I said Swiftech has improved on the idea. :) 
If you watched the video they are running two GTX680's, CPU, VRM and chipset all with one H220 - there is no special version needed for a GFX card, just buy the appropriate water block and fitting's and add it into the loop.
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 20, 2013 1:36:57 PM

Exactly my point, you need a graphics block (sold separately at further cost),
the pump/Cpu block is going to power multiple blocks and rads?
with what consequences upon the flowrate I wonder...
Don't get me wrong, I often recommend Swifty's gear like the drive and edge systems alongside H100's as starter setups/low maintenance gear,
I just took offence at the statement that it was in any way futureproof or comparable to a custom loop, despite its flexibility
Moto
a c 206 K Overclocking
January 20, 2013 1:47:03 PM

Cooling performance wise, you get what you pay for in the water cooling world, Otherwise!

It's just a prom dress with a new garter belt!

It's only viable plus is the refillable option which would allow you to custom fit your tubing.

Regarding expandable! :lol: 

Expandable to what?

Adding a GPU block?

But then the radiator will be inadequate!

But it's expandable remember!

ROFL Here comes the heat, and pump shortening life!

Being possible and viable, is two completely different things.

So really the only plus past the hype is the ability to refill the loop and custom fit your tubing!

It's cooling performance can be stomped by a high performance air cooler fitted with higher rated cfm fans than the stock cfm options.

Higher performing fans wouldn't necessarily improve the H220s radiator cooling performance at all, so no edge there.

So if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck!

Otherwise it's just another CLC cooler.

No Offense Orlean, but I am the Black Sheep of this little water cooling community, (Seeing as how I have testing load temperatures lower than the mass majority of idle temperatures out here, but that's another thread!), and I have a reputation to uphold! :lol: 
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2013 2:06:43 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Don't get me wrong, I often recommend Swifty's gear like the drive and edge systems alongside H100's as starter setups/low maintenance gear,
I just took offence at the statement that it was in any way futureproof or comparable to a custom loop, despite its flexibility
Moto

Well I misunderstood your statement about modding, I was assuming like how people modded other AIC like the H50's,H60 etc,... by cutting some sort of custom mounting contraption and using zip times to secure them to GFX cards until something like the Artic Accelero hybrid VGA Cooler hit the market so I was over thinking things.

Anyway no way to really know know the real details until it hits the market but towards the end of the video they show it also running 3 blocks(2 VGA,1 CPU) and 3 radiators with pretty nice temps to boot 53c for 7970's, and a 3930k oc to 4.5ghz with a max temp of 65c. But by no means a replacement for custom water cooling but I thought it was impressive for a company like Swiftech to improve the whole concept of plug N play water coolers.
January 20, 2013 6:49:46 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Moto

Why take offense at the truth. So it is NOT custom, it works far better than any corsair offdering and the pump is damn well good enough to take the load of a graphic water block add on. What are you bitching about???
January 20, 2013 6:52:23 PM

2033417,15,5043 said:
Cooling performance wise, you get what you pay for in the water cooling world, Otherwise!

It's just a prom dress with a new garter belt!

It's only viable plus is the refillable option which would allow you to custom fit your tubing.

Expandable to what?

Adding a GPU block?

So really the only plus past the hype is the ability to refill the loop and custom fit your tubing!

It's cooling performance can be stomped by a high performance air cooler fitted with higher rated cfm fans than the stock cfm options.

Higher performing fans wouldn't necessarily improve the H220s radiator cooling performance at all, so no edge there.

So if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck!

Otherwise it's just another CLC cooler.

No Offense Orlean, but I am the Black Sheep of this little water cooling community, (Seeing as how I have testing load temperatures lower than the mass majority of idle temperatures out here, but that's another thread!), and I have a

WRONG you can add an additional raiator as well. You obviously did not see the product release and the video done by the CEO of Sweiftech that clearly sates you can add another radiator.

a c 206 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 8:25:19 AM

Quote:
WRONG you can add an additional raiator as well. You obviously did not see the product release and the video done by the CEO of Sweiftech that clearly sates you can add another radiator.

4Ryan6 said:

Expandable to what?

Adding a GPU block?

I did not miss anything!

a c 168 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 8:49:24 AM

Ryan, the resident poet of the water-cooling forum :p 

@os2wiz
You have four posts to your name, two of them here. You don't exactly have the credibility behind your opinion as Ryan or Moto does, nor have you done anything to help that as all you have done is insult them.
And Ryan did address that you can add more radiator in his poem, but then you will be pushing that 6W pump fairly hard, reducing its lifespan and cooling performance.

Theres also the point of, if your buying an all-in-one with expandability in mind, why would you not just go fully custom anyway?
Chances are this thing will retail at ~$120, an entry level custom kit comes $25 more, and you get a better pump, rad and CPU block.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16891/ex-wat-219/XSPC...
a c 206 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 9:04:55 AM

@manofchalk, Excellent interpretation sir, and Thank You! Ryan :) 
a c 206 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 10:07:21 AM

Regarding this product it is a Swiftech product and the quality is there it's obvious from the video, as Swiftech is and always has been a quality product.

It's easy to see the Ohhs and Ahhhs, for a newly marketed product but even Swiftech has to stand the test of time.

Just because the product is expandable doesn't mean it is limitless, adding additional components increases flow restriction, even though it is a 6w pump where does it's capabilities end?

Pump wise comparing to it's big brother the Swiftech MCP655 a 24w pump, 6w is a joke, but it is one of the highest wattages of it's direct competition as this is clearly not the stepping stone to a full system loop, but some will attempt to make it that way I'm sure!

Adding full coverage GPU blocks is not a whole lot of restriction just added heat , but can it handle dual pass rads in the higher restriction line?

What radiator sizes can it handle?

The Swiftech representative said it was designed novice friendly, and unfortunately a novice thinks they can do anything and everything without any information just plug and play.

One disturbing thing the rep said was they had bonded the fans to the radiator?

Bonded How?

Are they replaceable?

Hopefully Yes!

I did like the swivel fittings, but even they can be a leak problem over time!

For the record, I do think this is a better product than what's presently on the market in this cooling line, now lets see how it lasts in the real world.

a c 168 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 10:20:43 AM

From the looks of this screen-cap I took.

It seems to be just a short screw through the radiator side of the fan. Similar to what Lufti did in his build.
Get a thin enough screwdriver and you could take it out.

Though that is a barrier to entry, requiring a semi-special tool to customize the fans. Bad move by Swiftech IMO, especially when they want this unit to be customizable.

EDIT: I also like the swivel barbs, if they could be adapted for custom use I would be all over them. To the point where I would be willing to pay $10 a barb, instead of getting a rotary adapter.
This could be a little gold-mine for Swiftech if they patent the idea, something like this really has potential to be useful.
a c 206 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 10:23:26 AM

^ Agreed!

It will definitely need good protective packaging for shipping!
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 1:00:53 PM

I was truly hoping that Swiftech wouldn't enter the closed loop cooler race, but I think they tried to do so with a product that separates itself from other similar products. The option for expand-ability is a nice feature and I agree with others in this thread that the pump really needs to be well-tested to determine it's capabilities. It seems low power to me and I don't know that they have released any specs on it yet (could be wrong...maybe I missed them). Considering that the Corsair pump unit is a very low 1-3w drive unit that pushes a very low volume of liquid as-is. 6w would be an improvement, but it really depends on how well it performs in the real world.

It still doesn't dent the performance of a DDC or D5.
January 21, 2013 4:24:03 PM

manofchalk said:

@os2wiz
You have four posts to your name, two of them here. You don't exactly have the credibility behind your opinion as Ryan or Moto does, nor have you done anything to help that as all you have done is insult them.
And Ryan did address that you can add more radiator in his poem, but then you will be pushing that 6W pump fairly hard, reducing its lifespan and cooling performance.

Theres also the point of, if your buying an all-in-one with expandability in mind, why would you not just go fully custom anyway?
Chances are this thing will retail at ~$120, an entry level custom kit comes $25 more, and you get a better pump, rad and CPU block.

How is pointing out a factual discrepancy in his post insulting.He said you couldn't add an extra radiator and I posted that he is incorrect. Why does that require moderator intervention? There is nothing to suggest that a 6 watt pump can't handle another radiator. That is purely conjecture.
January 21, 2013 4:41:46 PM

manofchalk said:

@os2wiz

As far as why not buy a custom loop to begin with, as you said if expandibuility is a definite goal perhaps it would be better. I do not myself plan on expansion.I see very little performance difference in a $145 custom loop and the H220 offering . I sincerely doubt as $145 custom loop is going to ghive you the best pump over a $300 setup or the kind of block and radiator you'll wind up needing-desiring, if you really want a15 degree Celsius drop in temps over a Corsair H100. Within a year after buying a entry level custom loop you will end up getting rid of it and spending considerably more. I don't see myself going that way. I use my computer a little for pleasure and experimentation , but mostly to gain and impart knowledge in organizing class warfare against the capitalist system. I have no desire to spend all that time and money to prove I have the fastest hot-rod in town. At the end of the game that may be crucial to self-gratification for some but it pales in import to mass global unemployment, warfare for corporate dominance, starvation and disease that plague this planet. I am on a fixed income as well so I try to do the best within my means.
I do not seek to impose my will on others but I try to keep things in perspective. Thanks for your comments. There is no absolute truth on water cooling it totally depends on ones objectives and wallet size.
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 5:00:06 PM

I think it's best to close this thread as it stands. Please contact me via PM if anyone has any issues with this decision.
!