firehawk_19

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hello all,

I've unfortunately lost the use of my old mobo (ASUS M2N32SLI Deluxe) while trying to upgrade to the new AMD Phenom II X3 740BE, and now I need a decent replacement.

Here is a quick run down of my current parts set:
Corsair HX850 PSU
PowerColor Radeon HD 5850 OC
SB X-Fi Fatal1ty
WD Caviar 1TB SATA HDD
Scythe Mugen II
AMD Phenom II x3 740BE
Thermaltake Armor II full tower
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC6400 4x1GB

What I'm looking for in a mobo is the following:
Stable/reliable OC ability
Possibility of unlocking the 4th core (not necessary, but nice)
both SATA 3 GB/s and 6 GB/s (plan for a SSD down the line)
USB 3.0
CrossFireX (nice to have but needs to be 2 x16 PCIe 2.0 at min)
Price~$150USD (NewEgg.com is prefered)
Also since it's a new mobo, I'll need new DDR3 memory as well... I have a preference for Corsair, but willing to go another route if there is sufficient reason to do so. (like combo price or better performance, etc.)

I look forward to and appreciate the input!

firehawk_19

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Alright after several hours research and price comparison for the features I'd like to have or close to them...
I've think I've narrowed my field down to the AMD 890FX chipset... of course I haven't completely ruled out the 890GX.
So far I've come to the conclusion that my $150 price point (w/ Memory) combined isn't going to work, based solely on the mobo prices right now.
I could step down to the 790 chipsets as hell_storm suggested but I feel I leave myself less open to future expansions (CPU, GPU, etc.) without knowing what's coming down the pike next like Bulldozer, etc.

Currently since my main PC is down I don't have the luxury to wait until prices drop or future feature sets are known...
Also my other issue is that I must use Newegg and make my decision before this Friday (11/12) so that I can return the DDR2 memory modules I can no longer use.
So, I'm going to pick out these four following mobo's, and I'd like some input as far as experiences with these specific boards.
I realize I might not be able to unlock the 4th core on my 740BE, but I can overclock it and that's something I want to do regardless of the unlock.
Also I may utilize the Crossfire each has with another 5850 or such down the line.

GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 ~$179

MSI 890FXA-GD70 ~199 w/$20 rebate

ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 ~$175 (I think this is the right model as New Egg has two of these same model boards but one has SATA 6GB/s and the other doesn't?)

Open Box: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula ~$166

Lastly, I'm going to need DDR3 memory... Not fully understanding the OC part in the descriptions each board has... I'm assuming that 1333 is the standard?
If not what would be the best 2x2GB? I favor Corsair and the XMS3 series, but if there is a better let me know!
TIA

Keep the RAM's which i mentioned above. And about your motherboard, when the Bulldozer comes in you would have to go in for a new mobo. Because they will all be on the AM3+ platform and wont be backward compatible as we hear rumours now. So i would say get a 790GX motherboard and you would do just fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-136-533&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3

This is a nice board and is a lot cheaper than the boards you mentioned above.

firehawk_19

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hell_storm your link is for a WD HDD not a mobo. Just curious why you keep suggesting the 790's? I do realize they are cheaper but also are missing some of the features I want. Also the ram you suggested, what is so great about than say a lower cost Corsair XMS3 or Crucial ram? Just need more info before I completely backtrack to the older boards.
Thanks!

Ooops my bad. I was replying to some other thread.

I suggested the 790GX boards, because you said you are willing to spend $150 combined. But if you want to go for 890GX/FX boards they would stretch your budget by quite a while.

The Crucial RAM's which i suggested are good. Have nice even timings.

It would be so much better if you could provide a concrete budget for the two things.