First custom Build advice

Bondo2k

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Hello Everyone

Looking to set up my First custom water cooling build. ive had good luck in the past with kits but i think its time to go to a custom solution

Lets start off first with the pc
intel i7-3770k stock for now
asrock extreme 6 z77
32gb corsair vengeance 1866mhz cl-9 ram
evga GTX680 SC signature+ (sli in the near future and liquid cooled)
Corsair obsidian 800D
2 Ocz vertex 3 128gb in raid 0 (OS)
4 1 tb WD green in Raid 10 (Media)
2 2 tb WD Black in Raid 1 (games)
Highpoint Raid card

OK so living in Canada theres not many places to find liquid cooling supplies but this is what i sourced out at NCIX.ca id love to know what everyone thinks.

The rad is going to be mounted on the top of the case

Swiftech APOGEE HD LGA1155/1366/1156 CPU Water Block G1/4I X1/2 Eurostyle Barbs Black *IR-$10* In Stock  1.00 $79.99 $79.99
Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs In Stock  1.00 $89.99 $89.99
Swiftech MCR320-XP "EXTREME PERFORMANCE" Radiator Series - Triple 120MM *IR-$9* In Stock  1.00 $64.99 $64.99
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO-R2 Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir 3/8IN & 1/2IN Barb Fitt *IR-$3* In Stock  1.00 $21.99 $21.99
Swiftech Adjustable Black Hose Clamps for 1/2IN Inner Diameter 3/8IN Outer Diameter T *IR-$1* In Stock  1.00 $2.99 $2.99
Bitspower BP-MBWP-C01 G1/4 to 1/2IN Straight Barb Fittings -MATTE BLACK- (Pair) In Stock  1.00 $5.49 $5.49
Swiftech Hydrx Water Additive Coolant *IR-$1* In Stock  4.00 $1.99 $7.96
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Green 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing (10 Feet) In Stock  1.00 $14.99 $14.99

Any suggestions on whats good or bad or where i can save money that would be great

sluggercz

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

I would go for the XSPC Raystorm CPU block which can be had for ~$49 and performs better than the Swiftech, also would suggest going for compression fittings over barb + clamp. Pump, res, rad, and the tubing are all great though.

Bondo2k

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

I was wanting to use compression fittings but i was told they're not to be trusted lol so thats good news. does it look like i have everything i need to set up a complete loop?

Lutfij

Titan
You are the glue that bonds a loop together - if your knowledge of its workings is crude, then you'll have a tough time transitioning from the pre-assembled units to your very own custom loop. Compression fittings are for aesthetics but are on the pricey side of things,barbs or comp fittings? either will work.

That said, have you checked out the watercooling sticky? full of info, considered to be the manual to all that's to know about watercooling, located in my sig.

would you like me to shoot you a link about cpu blocks?

have you thought of your overclocking goals? your TDP? noise level? rad placement, internal or external)?

Have you tried Dazmode? He's an e-tailer located within canada.
*I like that case btw :sol:

** before you pull the gun on your above purchase list, my utmost&topmost suggestion would be to go through the watercooling gallery and the watercooling build logs gallery for a take on inspiration and ofc maybe an opportunity for window shopping to assemble a better list of parts.

*** you sure no other e-tailer ships to canada? I know they do.

Bondo2k

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

Many e-tailers do ship to canada but with things subject to duty i will def look at dazmode to see what they have to offer. ive read alot about cpu blocks and the xspc does get marginally better reivews from what i can see but the retailer i mentioned does not carry their blocks.

i would like to achieve atleat 25-30% overclocks on the cpu with minor overclocks on the gpu (additional 10-15% considering it is oc from the factory) noise level is not much of a concern im not building a silent build by any means... i would like to read up on any info. im not new to overclocking i started with my q6600 about 5 years ago. i know i will be placing the 360 rad on the top of the case where corsair has intended it to be. thank you for everything everyone has offered this is making me more comfortable with the build. i just want to confirm that i have all i need to do this

Lutfij

Titan
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?282245-Stren-s-2012-CPU-Water-Block-Roundup

* i'd like to stress to go over the watercooling sticky, go through it patiently and it'll click in your head :)
** not all barbs require a clamp to have the hose onto it.

no coolant!!! silver kill coil/PT nuke aka deadwater or both and distilled water in your loop. Hydrx along with all the other coolants found break down into their constituents - and perform less than distilled.

^ watercooling sticky fills you in on that info.

Lutfij

Titan
Yeap, they are them alright! + Bought off of Koolertek for a dollar less per fitting compared to frozenCPU. I thought I needed a clamp thus the Lamptron elite anodized black tubing clamps, but getting one of them even by force was really tough. After I abandoned the idea of using the clamps during flushing/rinsing - I realized why they were called perfect seal's

Oh yeah they're also available in 3/8"OD - I have the 1/2" OD. For the short bit of tubing routed to the back of case from my NB was possible via dipping tubing in hot water and slipping them on the barbs. A lil tough to do as you'll need alot of room to maneuver the tubing round the fitting if you don't go hot water route.

* fret not mate, they're yet available on all the other e-tailers, however Koolerteks offerings are the cheapest of the bunch. I have 2 in hand as spare, may think of getting some more for a build log :p...too many spare parts are stacking up in my favor for a slimmer wallet :lol:

I really liked the look of them
** Thanks btw mate!

TRENDING THREADS