Sign in with
Your question

BSOD when I try to enable SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 27, 2010 2:27:12 PM

Hi Guys,

I used to have an inno3D 9600GT and a Palit 9600GT. They worked fine in SLI under Vista x64.

The Palit broke and while it was away I upgraded to Windows 7 x64. The company couldn't source the Palit so sent me back money, with which I bought an ASUS 9600GT. Only the ASUS can be my primary card because I have a HDMI monitor (which the Asus and Palit had connectors for).

I have plugged it in with the bridge etc. but when I try to enable SLI from nVidia Control Panel, my screen goes black (for 2s), freezes (for 2s), black (for 2s), unfrozen (for 2s), black (for 2s), freezes (for 2s), black (for 2s), unfrozen (for 2s) until the computer BSODs due to nvlddmkm.sys. I have tried 2 different drivers (196.21 and 195.62) with the same effect.

So my questions are:
Is there another way to enable SLI without nVidia Control Panel? Should I flash the cards to make them exactly the same? How on earth do I read/attach a .dmp file?

Thanks in advance,

Joseph.

More about : bsod enable sli

a c 172 Î Nvidia
February 27, 2010 2:32:12 PM

Try the 196.34's
m
l
February 27, 2010 2:33:27 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Will do.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
February 27, 2010 2:55:42 PM

Swap them around and use a DVI to HDMI adapter if sli does not work them test each card on there own. If the asus is still having issues RMA it.
m
l
February 27, 2010 5:01:27 PM

I tried with the beta drivers - no change.

I also swapped the cards around - they work fine on their own.

Any idea where to go from here?
m
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
February 27, 2010 5:11:09 PM

RMA the Asus card as it seems to be the probable cause.

Edit: Unless you want to try running XP or Vista first.
m
l
February 27, 2010 5:29:31 PM

I think I'll try Vista then post back.

Thanks guys.
m
l
February 28, 2010 9:18:56 AM

Hi again. It enables fine in Vista so it can't be a hardware issue. I also found this which is interesting but unfortunately does nothing towards fixing the problem.

Any idea of another way to enable SLI in 7?
m
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
February 28, 2010 9:26:48 AM

Have tried a slight increase in the CPU and/or RAM voltages?
m
l
February 28, 2010 9:38:47 AM

No. How much do you think I should increase it by?

I've just found that when I try to adjust settings in Vista, nVidia Control Panel crashes the scrren flickers and the drivers stop working (like in 7) but they eventually recover.
m
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
February 28, 2010 9:57:49 AM

Voltage adjustments should always be made in BIOS, DDR2 can be anywhere from 1.78v to 2.2v and a Q6600 could be from between 0.85v to 1.5v.
m
l
February 28, 2010 11:29:31 AM

I tried but it hasn't changed anything - I think I might flash the cards.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 28, 2010 11:51:16 AM

josephmil said:
I tried but it hasn't changed anything - I think I might flash the cards.

Only flash the cards as a last option.

nvflash -b old.rom to get the bios dump you will be asked which card you want the dump from.

nvflash new.rom

for multiple cards and NF200 is present nvflash new.rom -- index=( the # of the card you want to flash)
ex nvflash new.rom -- index=1
m
l
February 28, 2010 2:41:05 PM

I tried but it gave me a PCI subsytem mismatch error, or words to that effect. I'm beginning to tear my hair out over this...
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 28, 2010 5:40:46 PM

josephmil said:
I tried but it gave me a PCI subsytem mismatch error, or words to that effect. I'm beginning to tear my hair out over this...

I will admit that I have only flashed cards on Nvidia and VIA boards. As for Intel I have never flashed cards on those boards. Try start by getting the bios dumps nvflash -b old.rom you will see a list of devices. Note that I am using a older version that doesn't brick cards on a 15 year old floppy. :pt1cable: 

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38907

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread94018.html
m
l
February 28, 2010 6:26:49 PM

I flashed the cards but both Vista and 7 got uppity and wouldn't install the drivers/ recognise that the cards even existed, so I reflashed and am back where I was.

When they are in SLI in Vista there are occaisional black flashes across large sections of the screen, when loading or installing something big.

What makes these cards so incompatible in 7!!!???
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 28, 2010 7:27:09 PM

josephmil said:
I flashed the cards but both Vista and 7 got uppity and wouldn't install the drivers/ recognise that the cards even existed, so I reflashed and am back where I was.

When they are in SLI in Vista there are occaisional black flashes across large sections of the screen, when loading or installing something big.

What makes these cards so incompatible in 7!!!???

What changes did you make the bios on the cards?
m
l
February 28, 2010 7:41:11 PM

Nothing - I tried to copy the Asus' bios to the inno3D (thus underclocking it).
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 28, 2010 8:14:33 PM

josephmil said:
Nothing - I tried to copy the Asus' bios to the inno3D (thus underclocking it).

Flash it back just type this nvflash old.rom and restore the card back to ware it was. If you want lower clocks get nbitor and edit the clocks then since some cards have different firmware as well different timings for the vram.
m
l
March 2, 2010 3:38:40 PM

I put it back but this still doesn't solve anything. I think I might just give up and I'll post back if I (somehow) solve this issue!

Thanks for all of your help anyway.

Cheers!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 2, 2010 3:51:34 PM

josephmil said:
I put it back but this still doesn't solve anything. I think I might just give up and I'll post back if I (somehow) solve this issue!

Thanks for all of your help anyway.

Cheers!

What other changes did you make? What is your board?
m
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
March 2, 2010 7:34:27 PM

There is a new driver out today, it might be worth giving that a try before you start sending stuff back.
m
l
!