Alan8609

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Hello,

I am running a i5-2500k with a st1000dm003 HD. I wanted to take advantage of Intel's Smart Responce Technology and add an SSD in a RAID to use as buffer. You guys are the experts. What SSD should I team up with my hard drive for SRT? thanks

Solution
First, you won't set up the drive in RAID! But you do have to set up SATA in RAID in the BIOS.

You will install the SSD, and using the iRST software, set up the SSD as a CACHE drive for the HDD.

The iRST software has a 64GB size limit for the cache drive.

I'd recommend, just like if the drive were for OS/Programs, in this order: Intel 520, OCZ Vertex 3, Samsung 830. All either 60 or 64GB models.

I assume that you have a Z68 (or higher) chipset on your motherboard. Only these will use the "hardware" to accelarate the drive(s).

If you don't have that chipset, then the OCZ Synapse works, but it used software to accelarate. But these drives are pricey,
First, you won't set up the drive in RAID! But you do have to set up SATA in RAID in the BIOS.

You will install the SSD, and using the iRST software, set up the SSD as a CACHE drive for the HDD.

The iRST software has a 64GB size limit for the cache drive.

I'd recommend, just like if the drive were for OS/Programs, in this order: Intel 520, OCZ Vertex 3, Samsung 830. All either 60 or 64GB models.

I assume that you have a Z68 (or higher) chipset on your motherboard. Only these will use the "hardware" to accelarate the drive(s).

If you don't have that chipset, then the OCZ Synapse works, but it used software to accelarate. But these drives are pricey,

Solution