New build advice...

andymcdougal

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as possible (within 1 month).
BUDGET RANGE: £400-600 UK Pounds.
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (such as FS9/X, RCT3) and screen recording; video editing and rendering using Adobe After Effects, Adobe Flash, Sony Vegas; image editing in Photoshop CS4; watching HD videos; office documents and surfing the web.
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor.
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://www.ebuyer.com/ .
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United Kingdom.
PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD processor, 4GB RAM, good graphics.
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080p HD +.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm not looking to blow every other computer out of the water, but I want a solid rig that wont go out of date tomorrow.

I've already posted a topic(s) about this build and received loads of help from the forum (thanks guys/gals!), but I've made a few small changes... Please find below the current specification (as on http://www.ebuyer.com/ ). I'm pretty sure that everything is compatible but since this is my first build I'd like that second pair of eyes :lol: . I promise I'll stop posting about this build at some point - it's not my fault I'm a n00b (well, it is, but whatever) :p :lol: .

2hfkjde.png

ulysses35

Distinguished
FSX loves fast CPU's and is one the few games that really makes use of 2/4 cores. Why the AMD choice ? with the current i5's and i7's out there which are quicker than the old C2d's (AMD struggle to keep up with the C2D's) just seems the more logical choice ?

I would be tempted to skip the 80mm case fans - as the smaller the fan the greater ther noise.

You could swap the case for the Antec 902 and have no need for the extra case fans.

Other than that the specs and parts are good choices.

andymcdougal

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

I agree. Well, I've been advised in more than one place to go for AMD on a budget build as there is a slight overall difference in price/performance. Other than that, I've not looked as deeply into Intel parts as AMD parts.

The case has one large 120mm on the front and a small 80mm on the back. It also has a side panel with space for a fan so I thought it would be worth £1 extra just to fit that extra 80mm fan to keep things cool.

I've looked into the Antec 902 but I'm not too keen on paying that much for a case (although I will if it's the best choice). Is the cooling on the Antec 902 not overkill for my specifications?

andymcdougal

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Also, would it be possible to match these specifications on an Intel framework for the same price? The Intel processors seem to be more expensive...

andymcdougal

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

I would consider overclocking, but it is possible on a retail boxed processor?

andymcdougal

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Thanks for the links, but that last one is just nasty to look at. LOL

I'll probably decide the case last so your advice has been taken. :sol:

andymcdougal

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

I heard ya buddy. :)

I'm still not decided on the case. :/

A Deneb at 3ghz is plenty for any/all games so if u aren't familiar with OCing learn slowly and if aiming for higher clock get an after market HSF down the road

andymcdougal

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

That's good to hear. It's also good that it's possible to do this in the future. I'm not confident enough to do it now anyway. I've seen people I know blow up a motherboard in this way so I'm gonna leave it for now. :lol:

andymcdougal

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

I had a look at Intel processor for the same price but they are less future-proof (L2 instead of L3) and had less cache (4MB instead of 8MB).

andymcdougal

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Fair enough. I wasn't sure about the Antec 902 due to price but I've decided to get it to make future upgrades/builds cheaper. :sol:

^ I would rather suggest the Antec 300 Illusion over the 902...Instead spend the extra cash on better components like the X4 955 - Its easy to overclock, has unlocked multiplier and also that 300 Illusion has good number of fans with very good airflow...
Other options - CM 690/ CM 590 Lian-Li K58...

And if you are still sure of spending that much money on the case, then the HAF 922 will get my vote over the 902 anytime - Very spacious, HDD access is the easy as they face sideways unlike in 902...

And planning for an overclock, then an after market CPU cooler will be a very good investment...
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/198976
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190542

Although I own three Antec 900 cases, I wasn't recommending a 902. However, you might want to look at the HAF cases also.

However, if you decide on the 902, be aware that it does not come with a case speaker.

andymcdougal

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

I will look into those cases. Would you advise me to stay very clear of smaller brand named cases?

Another day. :p Good advice though. hehe

andymcdougal

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Fair enough.

Thanks for that. I didn't realise that as the advert conveniently fails to mention this. :lol:

I will look into those cases. Would you advise me to stay very clear of smaller brand named cases?
Which brand are you referring to ? The cases that has been discussed here are all of very good quality except that some are costly - including the HAF 922 which I was referring to...