Solved

Best Thermal Compound?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooler Master
  • Thermal Compound
Last response: in CPUs
May 20, 2010 2:42:34 PM

Everyone has recommended the CoolerMaster 212+ as the heat sink of choice on this forum and so I wanted to see if I could get an opinion on what will be the best thermal compound to use with my shiny new fan and CPU (an i5-750 or 1055T). I'm looking to finish building my PC by the end of the week, but it would be nice if I could finish buying all my parts by tomorrow. Any advice is greatly appreciated, especially since this is my first time building my own PC.

More about : thermal compound

May 20, 2010 5:21:42 PM

Well IC Diamond is getting dam good results on their giveaway here on toms. Most people are getting @ least a 2 or 3 degree drop in temps compared to whatever they were using before. I’m not sure it’s commercially available yet tho. Artic Silver 5 seems to be popular and considered good by allot of people tho I have never used it myself.

Hope this helps
m
l
May 20, 2010 5:55:46 PM

Arctic Silver 5 obviously is a crowd favorite, if you want to be different, try OCZ Freeze as its the next best thing, IC Diamond 7 is also an excellent choice <--- however there are not enough reliable reviews for this compound for me to justify recommending it freely.

on a side note, I really dont understand why there are so many CoolerMaster 212+ fanatics on this forum, I mean OK, its cheap, but its far from the best, for enthusiasts looking for the best OC, there are plenty of coolers on the market that will out perform the 212, to name a few, Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (AKA. TRUE), Zalman CNPS10X Extreme, Prolimatech Megahalems, Thermaltake Frio etc... the list goes on.
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2010 6:02:09 PM

I ordered IC Diamon from NCIX. That's the only place I found it.
m
l
May 20, 2010 6:03:23 PM

Well I'll try to get a tube of IC Diamond if I can. In the meantime I guess I'll pick up a tube of arctic silver 5.
m
l
May 20, 2010 6:51:58 PM

still waiting for any REAL reviews on this diamond compound before I can officially drop my skepticism
m
l
May 20, 2010 7:49:45 PM

So far it seems to be out performing AS5, yes like you say I would like to see some real reviews on it but some of the people that have tested it on toms seem quite technically competent.
Slayer697 said:
Well I'll try to get a tube of IC Diamond if I can. In the meantime I guess I'll pick up a tube of arctic silver 5.

yeh like i said im not sure you can get the 24 carrot version yet and AS5 is better than the older version of IC Diamond
m
l

Best solution

May 20, 2010 8:09:30 PM

Eithelwulf said:
So far it seems to be out performing AS5, yes like you say I would like to see some real reviews on it but some of the people that have tested it on toms seem quite technically competent.

yeh like i said im not sure you can get the 24 carrot version yet and AS5 is better than the older version of IC Diamond

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

And I've been told the 24 carrot tube is just a bigger tube. The carrot number replacing pounds or whatever =/
May 20, 2010 8:19:36 PM

Hummm ok i know this off topic sorry OP but, How do i get the cpu-z frurm banner to show?
m
l
May 20, 2010 8:22:28 PM

I think it's quite common that a lot of people think product X is the best while a more unknown product Y is slowly taking over the marking until everyone know product Y is the best.

And of course you always have fan boys :) 
m
l
May 21, 2010 12:42:54 AM

You have to also consider that forums are a powerful tool. If enough people keep recommending arctic silver 5, then people will just assume that it's the best even if they haven't used it. The average forum goer doesn't actually test out different thermal compounds first hand. They base it off either reviews or the opinions of other forum goers.

Every discussion about the system I'm building has had people recommend the Cooler Master 212+ as my HSF, but I'm starting to wonder whether or not that's really the best solution. I'll probably make a thread about it soon, these threads I've made have taught me a lot about what's available and what's worth paying attention to.
m
l
May 21, 2010 12:53:20 AM

AS5 has a curing time of about 200+ hours, and require many reboot + shutdown cycles to complete the curing, so while reviews dont quite show AS5 at their best, you can expect that over time, you are going to get better results with this stuff.
m
l
May 21, 2010 1:31:33 AM

arterius2 said:
AS5 has a curing time of about 200+ hours, and require many reboot + shutdown cycles to complete the curing, so while reviews dont quite show AS5 at their best, you can expect that over time, you are going to get better results with this stuff.

If you go look at the IC Diamond results thread you will see results from cured AS5 vs un-cured IC Diamond. they speak for themselves aand this i belive was one of IC's motives for doing the giveaway to get results vs cured AS5 that the reviwers cant do.
m
l
May 21, 2010 1:43:57 AM

Eithelwulf said:
If you go look at the IC Diamond results thread you will see results from cured AS5 vs un-cured IC Diamond. they speak for themselves aand this i belive was one of IC's motives for doing the giveaway to get results vs cured AS5 that the reviwers cant do.

just bought a tube of this stuff and will give it a go
m
l
May 21, 2010 1:45:45 AM

arterius2 said:
just bought a tube of this stuff and will give it a go

it can be a little tricky to apply go look at the giveaway thread for best method/results
m
l
May 21, 2010 3:33:58 AM

Best answer selected by Slayer697.
m
l
!