xixes

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Recently purchased Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II. Went to "Can you run it" (http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/intro.aspx) and it said that i meet and exceed the recommended specs. However when i play the game it is VERY slow. With everything turned to low i average about 9 FPS. Is the website wrong/untrustworthy or am I missing something...

Solution
You're using a laptop then rather than a desktop system? The first thing I would do is ensure that all of your drivers (particularly your graphics card) are up to date. You could also check your temperatures and see how they are looking. CPUID's HWMonitor is a good utility for this purpose:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

You also can't rule out the possibility that your laptop just isn't up to playing it. Most mainstream laptops aren't designed for playing games and don't have the hardware or even sufficient ventilation and cooling to do so effectively. A desktop system is much better suited for gaming. Try all of the above first however and post back with any progress. Best of luck!

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
This is a bit of a wildcard really since it could be any number of things that could cause slow performance. A full list of your system specs would help, including your OS. Also are you experiencing slow-downs with any other game or application or is it just Warhammer?

xixes

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Here are the specs. Mostly taken from a dxdiag

Processor: AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-75 (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 2814MB RAM
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
GFX card: NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G
GFX Display Memory: 1392 MB
GFX Dedicated Memory: 241 MB
GFX Shared Memory: 1151 MB
DirectX 10

@Moody89 Just Warhammer atm. most of my other games are older ones and work fine.

xixes

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Here are the results from "Can You Run It" with the recommended specs

CPU
Recommended: Intel Core2 Duo / AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+ or higher
You Have: AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-75
PASS

RAM
Recommended: 2 GB
You Have: 2.7 GB
PASS

Video Card
Recommended: Shader Model 3 video card with 256MB (NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT / ATI X1900 or equivalant) with latest manufacturer drivers
You Have: GeForce 8200M G
PASS
Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 256 MB 1.4 GB
3D Yes Yes
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 3.0 4.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0 4.0

Sound Card
Minimum: Yes
You Have: Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221
PASS

Free Disk Space
Minimum: 5.5GB of uncompressed Hard Drive Space
You Have: 393.5 GB
PASS

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
You're using a laptop then rather than a desktop system? The first thing I would do is ensure that all of your drivers (particularly your graphics card) are up to date. You could also check your temperatures and see how they are looking. CPUID's HWMonitor is a good utility for this purpose:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

You also can't rule out the possibility that your laptop just isn't up to playing it. Most mainstream laptops aren't designed for playing games and don't have the hardware or even sufficient ventilation and cooling to do so effectively. A desktop system is much better suited for gaming. Try all of the above first however and post back with any progress. Best of luck!

Solution

xixes

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Yeah I kinda figured. Well that's $40 out the window lol. I much prefer desktops but I just don't have the $$ to build a decent system atm. Well I have a plethora of other games that run just fine on here (not just solitaire marcellis22 lol) SO I will stick with those. Left for Dead and Guild Wars await! Thanks!

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

Well as I mentioned, try some of the things I pointed to in my previous post - you may be lucky. Unfortunately minimum required specs aren't very much to go by when it comes to games and there's nothing worse than buying a game and then not being able to run it. If you do decide you want a desktop system, you should consider building one yourself. You can build a much better quality system that is perfectly suited to your needs for far cheaper than you can purchase a pre-built system. Also, you're in the right place here - if you post your needs for your system with an approximation on your budget there are many members you will be more than happy to offer you advice. An adequate gaming system doesn't have to cost the world and even if you decide not to purchase it will still give you an idea on what you can get and how much it will cost you.

+1

If you decide to build a desktop in the future, just make thread. Plenty of people (including me) will help with it.

xixes

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
@moody89 - yeah all the drivers are up to date. I am always on that like white on rice lol.

@warmon6 - Thanks but I think i'll be all set. I have no problem building systems. Just don't have the $$ at the moment to get what i want lol.