Formatting for system build

Questioning

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
hey all,
I recently purchased a mobo/ram/cpu on the suggestion of this forum and it arrives today. My question for you, I know in the past it was not an option you had to format everytime something like the MOBO/CPU got switched. I'm wondering if that's still the case with windows 7?
Thanks, I'd like to avoid a format if possible as this one is pretty fresh anyway.

Solution

When you repair the Operating system, it changes the hardware config file, (this file contains the information about the mobo etc) most of the time, if ur hardware does not match the info in this file, it wont boot.

For instance, if i put a SDD in my pc, format it, install windows on it, then put it into a laptop, the laptop will not boot into windows.

I'm not sure what this will do with updates, as it may overwrite files which have been updated.

The best bet is always install a fresh copy of windows when you change mobo. As it assures no problems/conflicts/Fk Ups

lindley010

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
If you have a windows disk you can repair the installation, (boot from disk, Repair)

haven't tried with windows 7, but i know it worked with XP.

p.s if this works though, make sure you remove all your old drivers for your mobo and install the fresh ones.

lindley010

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

There isnt anything else to say, although since you havent got the parts yet, i would insert ur windows disk and boot from it, and see if u can find a repair option. at least then you will know before you put the new stuff in, instead of after.

lindley010

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

When you repair the Operating system, it changes the hardware config file, (this file contains the information about the mobo etc) most of the time, if ur hardware does not match the info in this file, it wont boot.

For instance, if i put a SDD in my pc, format it, install windows on it, then put it into a laptop, the laptop will not boot into windows.

I'm not sure what this will do with updates, as it may overwrite files which have been updated.

The best bet is always install a fresh copy of windows when you change mobo. As it assures no problems/conflicts/Fk Ups

Solution