Useing IC Diamond on GPU's

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I would like to try the IC Diamond on my GPU's (GTX250's) as they run far to hot for my likeing, but i have never removed a GPU heatsink so have a few questions before i do.
A, Would removeing the heatsink and replaceing the TIM void the warranty?
B, Has anyone done this on the same/similar gfx card's and could tell me exactly what to look out for?
C, Will i see that much of an inprovement with IC Diamond 24 carrot over the standard TIM?
D, How easy is it to dammage components on the GFX card's?, I am a model maker (building the victory in wood atm) and usually good at handleing delicate things but can sometimes be a little ham fisted.

Im asking this question here as not to congest the IC Diamond results thread.

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

Ok im still kind of tempted tho, Im sitting here with 3 IE windows open and one word doc and the temps on my gpu's are 63 and 58 degrees respectively. When im playing games if i forget to turn my fans to full they get to hot and crash my pc. Even with the fans @ full when playing they hit 80 degrees. Also when i turn my fans up to play games i get moaned @ because the mrs says she cant hear the TV.

If its not to hard to do and I can get a good result and cure the above problems then i dont think i would mind voiding the warranty. At least it might be the lesser of two evils, I certianly dont want the crashes to take out my raptor, other drives or cause any other dammage.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Improve the airflow in your case then - the cards are starved for air it seems as they're more than capable of running at those temperatures without problem.

And a computer crash isn't going to damage your other components unless the crash has come from a significant hardware issue (like a *** PSU).

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

Thanks for your suggestion but, i cant realy inprove airflow im useing an Antec 1200 with side door fan fitted and central HD cage cofig as wind tunnel blasting air @ my gpu's. Crashes only ever happen if im playing games without turning my fan's to full power witch keeps the gpu's around 80 degrees @ load. Which rules out PSU prob as with 8 fans @ full speed its drawing a bit more power than if i forget to turn em up. God know's what temp they hit if i forget to turn up the fans ive no been looking at temp moniter @ the right time to see.

I never had this prob with my old gpu's, i hate these 250's wish i had never bought em

I thought crashes were bad for your hard drives as they dont get chance to park properly?

^ Have you looked in to an Antec Spot cool to improve air flow near the GPU area?

WRONG! It depends on the manufacture. XFX/EVGA allows you to swap out the heat sink assuming you have registered it for warranty in the first 30 days after purchase. Other manufacture, I don't know. So OP, what manufacture do you have?

See: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/xfx_amends_lifetime_warranty_gives_green_light_to_oc

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

well im XFX and reged so no prob there then