Which of these corsairRAM is better?

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
here we have the dominator vs the XMS3

Both made by Corsair however the dominator costs about $35 more and has what seems to be higher

latency... so this as you can imagine is confusing to me as dominator is supposed to be more

expensive for a reason however the XMS3 seems superior here.

both are also 6GB 1600 DDR3 so here are the links:

Corsair Dominator
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

Corsair XMS3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145286

Help me out guys. explain this to me as its always been a mystery for me.

Not even close - TR3X6G1600C8D I use them for my builds.

Regarding the CAS, see below, it's more about the consistency and quality of IC's used 8-8-8-24 vs 7-8-7-20. In addition the TR3X6G1600C8D OC easy to 1800 MHz and can keep cooler. Note CAS speed and Rated Speeds vs "Benchmark" results.

This set is GREAT!!! :love:

Comparison Module #1: Mushkin Redline 996805 6-8-6-24 1600MHz
Comparison Module #2: G.Skill Pi Series 7-8-7-24 1600MHz
Comparison Module #3: Mushkin 998687 8-9-8-24 1866MHz
Comparison Module #4: Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 8-8-8-24 1600MHz
Comparison Module #5: Kingston HyperX T1 9-9-9-27 1600MHz
Comparison Module #6: Mushkin Blackline 998677B 7-7-7-20 1333MHz
Comparison Module #7: Patriot Viper II Sector 7 9-9-9-27 1800MHz
DDR3__Bench.jpg

DDR3__Bench_RES.jpg

Charts ;)

The G.Skill Pi Series 7-8-7-24 1600MHz are close enough to the 7-8-7-20, and I have ZERO doubt the TR3X6G1600C8D are superior in both speed and cooling. I've answered this exact questions so many times, and to prove it would be best suited to say Google both P/N and benchmarks.

With so close timings, both the modules are going to perform identically.. However, even timings are always a better go and as such, the dominators are the better pick here.. They also look better with that black and blue color scheme and tall heatspreaders..

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
no worries happens to me as well. can you elaborate on why dominator > ripjaws?

currently i decided to go with 4GB dual channel (because everyone tells me more then 4GB is unnecessary) and now these 2 are my options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303&cm_re=4_gb_ripjaws-_-20-231-303-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145290&cm_re=corsair_dominator-_-20-145-290-_-Product

latency looks better for the ripjaw, yet the graph says consistency is better so 8-8-8 is better than 7-8-7? hmm

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
i also want to add im would be using a 1156 MSI Big bang fuzion mother board
and using the OC genie on it in the future. i heard something about it recommending 1.65V so just food for thought, im not the pro here :p

Nice find.. Assuming these and the dominator modules use the same chip/IC's, i'd love to go for these over the dominators and in the process, save on some precious dollars.. However, I still feel that the dominators look cooler (literally)..

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Thanks :) but i disagree Those rip jaws are oh so deadly lookin :D

however the Dominator GT beats them both with its red fins mhm :)

But i take it by what you say that those ripjaws (8-8-8) are better than the other ripjaws(7-8-7) ?

both are 4GB and 1600 DDR3

however the 7-8-7 cost a little more and it is advertised as faster ?

whats the deal here? haha

again here are the links to compare for yourselves...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231278

Like I said before, with so close timings, they are going to perform identically.. You are better of going for the cheaper set.. The deal here is more linked to marketing wherein majority might get lured by a lower number along the timings column..

Posting here in Memory & MOBOs 'I use to' have the similar assumptions about CAS & Speed. Until I dug deeper and came to determine the 'X-Factor' which is the IC's used in the production of the DIMMs which plays a critical role in the overall speed of RAM. There are ~ a dozen different IC's. The 'tightness' of the CAS plays a part and often provides a strong indication but not the final measure.

'We' often look to GPU benchmarks and 'I' rarely gave RAM a second look above the Speed, CAS, Voltage & Spreaders -> BUT it's time to look at RAM benchmarks. Take a close look at the Speed, ans CAS in the graphs and 'explain' the 'logic.'

@Jaquith - your posted graphs show more of synthetic results which, am sure you too would agree, count for less.. Its the real world tests which amount for a more conclusive analysis.. As for the use of different IC's, I too am aware of that.. But since in real world scenario it counts for a very minute difference, we tend to ignore it while suggesting or recommending memory.. I care more for stability and as such, highly regard the Kingston Memory modules.. I just love the Hyper-X series though their high price keeps me of from recommending..

The second {1280x1024} graph is not synthetic and is gaming, but Synthetic is about the only way to achieve 'consistent results especially with RAM. In the real world I do not build with Kingston, I use only: Corsair Dominator, Corsair Dominator GT, Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback, Mushkin Enhanced Redline, or Mushkin Enhanced Blackline. I have looked into Kingston HyperX H20 & Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive.

Corsair Dominator OC very easily and I have very little issues with 20%+. Mushkin is a roll of the dice, but otherwise perform very well.

I have no problems with Kingston, but the modules tested were the Kingston HyperX H20.

20-104-214-TS

Water cooling makes very little sense to me especially in cases like the above.. Water cooling ram modules surpasses even enthusiast category.. It may sound cool (literally) but IMO, is totally unnecessary.. And yeah, I too love the Corsair DHX and Dominator series.. I've a 4GB (2 x 2GB) XMS2 DHX CAS 4 model installed on my secondary pc which has been nothing but solid and stable for the past 2 years inside a case with just a single exhaust 120 mm fan, a highly overclocked cpu and an untidy setup with wires floating all over and around the ram modules.. My primary pc however sports the Kingston Hyper-X T1 6GB ram with timings tightened to 8-8-8-24 (did as an experiment but no problems till now).. I could not however recognize any performance difference between CAS 9 and CAS 8 timings..

I stated an over-site, I forgot that that I too am looking at G.SKILL Flare Series http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231409 for a ASUS C4E build.

However, where the CAS 8/9 and particularly faster RAM comes into play, excuse the pun, is FPS frame rates. The difference can be 2-5+ FPS loss on slower RAM. Also, in my everyday rig i7 930 I test compile huge relational databases {hundreds of thousands of data records} and the mere differences of using TR3X6G1600C8D properly set shaves-off 10-15 minutes {3 hour flattening/export}.

The average Joe will not 'feel' the difference unless their frame rate is borderline choppy otherwise.

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
okay so im still not certain should i go for 7-8-7 or 8-8-8 ? i mean i have OC genie on my MOBO but im not sure what it will do to either of those...

after i hear some more answers about that..then i will decide which brand to go with, as i have heard many great things about both ripjaws and corsair.

CAS in reality, is about as fast as the slowest number. While 7-8-7 'looks' faster in reality 8-8-8 is 'tighter' and is a sign of a good IC; 7-7-7 however would be clearly faster and a sign of an even better IC -- assuming the SAME speeds.

The most knowledgeable people in the Memory section all tend to agree that, for now, the Corsair's are indeed the RAM of choice {Speed per Speed}.

ANS -> Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 8-8-8-24 1600MHz.

The problem is 2000 MHz rated RAM has such a disparity over the 'stock' CPU that UNLESS you OC the CPU including BCLK / [FSB other chipsets] that it creates an 'unstable' environment and typically requires 'under' clocking to remain stable ~ 1600~1800 MHz. Keep in mind the CPU Memory Types DDR3-800/1066.