Building a new system, first time build not sure what specs I need

jquarter06

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next month or two
BUDGET RANGE: Would like to stick under 1,000 for sure Before

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing the web, folding @ home on the side perhaps

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: monitor, peripherals, optical drive and possibly HDD. I DO need an OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: The US of A

PARTS PREFERENCES: none really, my first build with no real brand loyalty (yet)

OVERCLOCKING: Probably a mild OC in the future, but definitely nothing crazy
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1900x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like to use Windows 7 64 bit edition. I'm a student though so I'm not sure what the cheapest way to get into that would be.

Also, while the system specs need to be good enough to game on I'm really looking to see how much $$$ I need to spend to play the more modern games (Battlefield Bad Company 2, MW2, etc) at 1900x1200 at max settings on playable frame rates. I haven't been building systems long enough or gaming long enough to really know what kind of budget that requires.

CPU/Mobo: X4 955 and Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 $228 after rebate
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
GPU: HD 5850 $315
Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Earthwatts 650W $130
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $25
OS: Windows 7 Home 64-bit OEM. Check out Win741.com (I think). I'm not sure on the final price, but I think it's about $70

Total: $937.

You might want to kick in a little more to play everything at max settings at 1920x1080. The additional costs would be for these changes:

Case: HAF 922 $90
GPU: HD 5870 $380
PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ $100 after rebate

Total: $1,062.

jquarter06

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
In regards to the CPU/Mobo combination you suggested, obviously it is an AMD build but how fast is that particular cpu running at stock speeds?

Also, I may be able to save a bit by using my old HDD but then again the performance gains may be worth the cost of a new one.

My current system is ancient and a POS.

Running a p4 @ 3.06 ghz with 4 GB ram (not sure brand or CAS Latency), and a 9600 GSO. It has definitely been a while since I've upgraded :p

Also, I can remove the optical drive, I don't need one as I will just remove my current one. Looks like everything else I do need though...

Oh, and also is there a reason I would need to upgrade the case from the antec 300 to the HAF 922? Is the HAF just larger so the larger video card can fit in there or what?

The CPU is very fast at stock speeds. It is AMD's top of the line.

You could, but the newer HDDs are much, much faster than older ones. Using an old drive will make the new computer feel slow. I would recommend getting the new drive as the boot/app drive at least.

You got it on the case. The 300 can barely fit the 5870, and will likely require come case mods to make it more comfortable.

@Proximon: A 5770 in a $1,000 gaming build? That's drastically underpowered...

You may be right, but the build leaves open an upgrade path for a second 5770 to be added. I might have gone your route if I had known about the 770 board. That looks like a nice single video card solution.

I'm just here to keep up my skills a bit :) Have a lot of pots on the fire currently and not much time to put into this board... don't want to get too rusty.