Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card "no signal detected"

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 27, 2010 5:17:14 PM

Hey guys.My problem is that when playing Starcraft 2 Beta or Bioshock 2 the screen goes black and a message appears saying "no signal detected".I've already read the other tomshardware posts about this problem but none of their soulutions did/could work for me.The interesting thing is i get this message after a while into playing AND it only appears at these games(for example i can play diablo, diablo2, HoN, Warcraft 3 without any problems).This makes me believe that the problem is with the graphics card and that it cant complete a task the "newer" game gives it so it shuts down.Also after getting the no signal message i have to press the restart button twice in order for the pc to restart.My sistem specs are:
Operating system:Windows 7 Ultimate
Motherboard:Asus P5KPLCM
Cpu:Intel core 2 duo e7400 2.8ghz
Hard drive:250GB Maxtor
Memory:2x2GB Kingmax
Graphics card:GeForce 9800gtx+
Power unit:Spire Jewel 550W
Thanx for the help in advance!
February 28, 2010 12:54:38 AM

Did you update your graphics card drivers for the new games? The first thing to do when playing anything new is to check if there have been updates for your drivers. Your specs for the PC are find, definitely able to play the games. Bioshock 2 JUST came out so the drivers may not have caught up to it yet. Why don't you try the drivers first, if it doesn't work just reply the thread and I'll try to help you figure it out again. =)
February 28, 2010 9:04:10 AM

mephiston1 said:
Did you update your graphics card drivers for the new games? The first thing to do when playing anything new is to check if there have been updates for your drivers. Your specs for the PC are find, definitely able to play the games. Bioshock 2 JUST came out so the drivers may not have caught up to it yet. Why don't you try the drivers first, if it doesn't work just reply the thread and I'll try to help you figure it out again. =)

Yes I updated my drivers to the latest version from official source (nvidia website, to version 196.21);
I also tried to clean the system with a fresh OS installation(I had the same problem using windows Vista Ultimate sp2 and did a formatting and installing Windows 7 ultimate but it didnt help at all)

Thanx for the help in advance.
Related resources
February 28, 2010 3:37:51 PM

plz guys any suggestions would help.aaaand as far as i know this problem doesnt have a solution which appears online so if anyone know a possible fix i would appreciate it!!
March 1, 2010 4:43:53 AM

plz heeeeelp!
March 1, 2010 6:42:20 AM

ok so the problem was overheating(it reaches 120C and shuts down)
!