Solved

Power supply for M2N78-LA

Hello,
I have an HP P6404Y, and I would like to upgrade the graphics. The current power supply is too wussy (300 W). What is the correct PSU type for the Motherboard: M2N78-LA
HP/Compaq motherboard name: "Violet6-GL8E"
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power supply m2n78
  1. What graphic card are you thinking about buying?
  2. My primary game is an older affair, not too heavy on graphics requirements. The development team is releasing a client update that sort of bumps up the required specs. Since I don't really need a whole lot, I started searching for something that was cheap and surpassed the min. requirements and came up with this:
    GeForce GTS 250, I believe it is basically a 9800GT.
    (I avoid ATI because they have known issues with the game that I am upgrading for.)

It requires at least 400 W PSU.
  3. Best answer
  4. Thanks a lot!

My concern is that I will buy a PSU that won't meet the requirements of the motherboard. When I check the HP specifications page for the motherboard this is what I think might be relevant to the upgrade I am planning "One 24-pin ATX power connector. One 4-pin ATX power connector." and form factor "micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in"

Do I just look for a PSU that says 24/4 pin ATX that meets the form factor?

This is really great, and I appreciate your help!
  5. A PSU with a 24pin conector and another 4pin conector is enough. The form factor of the mobo has nothing to do with the PSU.
    All the PSUS, that I have recommend you, have those conectors. The PSUs have to be very old for not having them..
  6. Great! I can start searching immediately then. I really appreciate your explanation here. I was pretty paranoid about ordering a part and then finding that it wouldn't have the connections I need.
  7. Best answer selected by Nerp.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Hewlett Packard Motherboards Components