Phenom 965 vs Phenom 1055T

akiraQ

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ

vs.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 6 Core Processor AM3 2.8GHZ

They are the exact same price so I don't know what to think. The computer would be used for Photoshop, basic 3d modelling, gaming.
The rest of my system is already purchased and is as follows:

Ripjaws 12800 4GB DDR3-1333
Radeon HD 5770
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Motherboard
Noctua NH-U12P cooling
1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Corsair TX750W 750W PSU

Any help would really be appreciated!

Solution
Although this might be mentioned elsewhere (and it is no surprise) the 1055 will do better in highly threaded apps and the X4 will win in <4 threads, however in either case the difference will not be huge. Both chips are about the same power/temps as well. In gaming the X4 probably edges the X6 out. In 3-D modeling, often some parts are infinitely threading and some are single threading, so it would probably be a tie.
Although this might be mentioned elsewhere (and it is no surprise) the 1055 will do better in highly threaded apps and the X4 will win in <4 threads, however in either case the difference will not be huge. Both chips are about the same power/temps as well. In gaming the X4 probably edges the X6 out. In 3-D modeling, often some parts are infinitely threading and some are single threading, so it would probably be a tie.

Solution

vinniz

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
if you be using the computer for Photoshop, basic 3d modelling. then 1055t will be better choice as you have two extra cores. at the moment most 3d apps will use all the cores, beside i remember the days when games only used one core and then games like crysis came and utilized more cores,you never know what programmers will come up with. i guess what i am saying is if you can get more for your money and future proof your self then why not. i am getting 3 of these babies for a render farm i am making for a friend.