Hello !

I have self custom built PC having following configuration:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU @ 3.2GHz
GSkill 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA HDD
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Motherboard
PowerColor ATI Readon HD 4850 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Cooler Master Gemini II S CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Gladiator 600 Chassis with 4 Fans (2 at Side, 1 at Top, 1 at Front)

System has Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit OS.
My machine was running fine.
As days passed, it started to become slower.
I can understand that Windows gets slower as we add stuff.
But considering a Quad Core & 4GB DDR3, it shouldn't.
I tried by using softwares like Tune Up Utilities, but didn't made much difference.
Once I even reinstalled Windows, but after some weeks, same situation.

Furthermore, once when I removed my Graphics Card for cleaning purpose, and ran machine on Onboard graphics, I noticed that graphics performance is the same one. All games were running nicely even on onboard graphics. Only the ranking in Windows changes.

So all I wanted to know is, is there anything wrong with my machine hardware?
How can I make it faster by software/BIOS/Hardware Tweeks ?
Why Graphics performance is almost same with or w/o dedicated card ?
I observed that machine consumes much power, obviously.

Is there any way by which I can reduce its power uses, when I don't need performance or running on UPS during power cut? I tried by lowering Clock frequency but power usage was same.

I am looking forward for expert advice guys, help me and my sluggish system !

More about : sluggish system

a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 8:41:43 PM

Whilst it is true that Windows generally slows down over time, this shouldn't be happening after just a few weeks and you definitely shouldn't have to reinstall Windows that regularly. It should run pretty smoothly out of the box with your setup and you shouldn't really need to do much system tweaking with 3rd party software to see good performance with your setup. There are a few things that could cause a sluggish symptom. However, can you just clarify what you mean by sluggish? Are there any apps in particular that feel slow or is it just Windows in general that seems slower than it should be?

Firstly, I would ensure that all of your drivers are up to date with the latest versions available from the manufacturer's websites. Also, it may be worth your while just checking and keeping an eye on your temperatures during use. HWMonitor from CPUID is a good utility for monitoring all of your hardware and will also show you the temperatures of most of your components:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

As far as your graphics card performance goes it really depends how you're measuring it. With your motherboard, your onboard solution would be the Radeon HD 4200 which is a very capable solution and can even play some newer games on lower resolutions. It may be that on games that aren't particularly demanding you're not really noticing too much of an improvement since there isn't an improvement to be had over your onboard solution. However if you were to play GPU intensive games that would really put your card through its paces then you would likely see a huge difference.

There are several ways to reduce power consumption, the most common and applicable of which is undervolting. However I would recommend that you concentrate on ensuring your system runs properly as it should and then we can concentrate on reducing power output.

Post back with info on your temperatures and the other points I mentioned above and we'll go from there.
May 20, 2010 8:58:35 PM

You may need a wee defrag, Im asumeing you have installed all your games/software on your new pc and transferd you files from your old pc (music/vidio/pics etc). If you have and havent defraged your hard drive this can seriously slow down your pc as its trying to find the data from diff parts of your hard drive.
Related resources
May 22, 2010 6:57:46 PM

Thanks for the reply.
The thing I wanted to say by sluggish is very slow startup.
Though desktop appears, I am not able to do anything until next 30s or so.
How can I opt for undervolting ?
moody89 said:
Whilst it is true that Windows generally slows down over time, this shouldn't be happening after just a few weeks and you definitely shouldn't have to reinstall Windows that regularly. It should run pretty smoothly out of the box with your setup and you shouldn't really need to do much system tweaking with 3rd party software to see good performance with your setup. There are a few things that could cause a sluggish symptom. However, can you just clarify what you mean by sluggish? Are there any apps in particular that feel slow or is it just Windows in general that seems slower than it should be?

Firstly, I would ensure that all of your drivers are up to date with the latest versions available from the manufacturer's websites. Also, it may be worth your while just checking and keeping an eye on your temperatures during use. HWMonitor from CPUID is a good utility for monitoring all of your hardware and will also show you the temperatures of most of your components:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

As far as your graphics card performance goes it really depends how you're measuring it. With your motherboard, your onboard solution would be the Radeon HD 4200 which is a very capable solution and can even play some newer games on lower resolutions. It may be that on games that aren't particularly demanding you're not really noticing too much of an improvement since there isn't an improvement to be had over your onboard solution. However if you were to play GPU intensive games that would really put your card through its paces then you would likely see a huge difference.

There are several ways to reduce power consumption, the most common and applicable of which is undervolting. However I would recommend that you concentrate on ensuring your system runs properly as it should and then we can concentrate on reducing power output.

Post back with info on your temperatures and the other points I mentioned above and we'll go from there.

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2010 8:48:48 PM

Well if its only at startup that you're noticing these problems then it may be due to too many processes being loaded at startup. How much stuff do you have installed that starts when you log into Windows? On my Windows system I only have my antivirus and and an IP filtering utility which runs at startup. I have seen some systems where so much stuff loads at startup that it can take 20 mins until the desktop is usable. Unfortunately this seems to be the case in the majority of average users. A good utility I always recommend is StartupCPL by Mike Lin. It's a freeware utility that adds a 'startup' option under the normal Control Panel in Windows and you can disable/delete all of your startup entries including items embedded in the registry startup controls. I've posted a link to this utility below:

StartupCPL: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Underclocking/Undervolting: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article37-page1.html

Disable anything in your startup that isn't necessary or you don't often make use of at startup. Windows Live Messenger is a good example. By default it installs itself to launch at startup. I personally think this is wrong to begin with since the majority of users won't know how to change this setting during install. The majority of systems I have worked on have WLM running at startup but most users won't use it as soon as they start the system. Most programs are only a mouse-click away so I don't really see the need to have a huge list run at startup.

You may also wish to have a look at BlackVipers services guide for Windows7 which is a guide showing which, un-needed Windows services can be disabled. Stick with the safe setting if you aren't sure. These tweaks may save you a bit of time at startup and general system usage:

http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

I've also posted a link to a good, basic underclocking/undervolting guide which should serve as a decent start-point:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article37-page1.html

Although I would concentrate on getting your system up to speed before worrying about this. Best of luck!
May 26, 2010 5:50:55 PM

Thanks a Lot Moody89
!