Your question

4 sticks of 2GB or 2 sticks of 4GB ??

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Corsair Dominator
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
November 8, 2010 9:53:18 PM

Currently i just realised my big bang fuzion MOBO only supports duel channel :( 

after further researching and re assessing my options now i see that i wont be hitting the 6 GB i was aiming for. so it will have to be 8 GB total

so im going for corsair Dominator memory. and the options i see are that i get 4 sticks of 2GB or 2

sticks of 4 GB and i want to know what will be better? i noticed the 2 GB sticks may have lower cas

latency but maybe having more memory per stick is superior? im not to well learned on RAM so feel free to help out guys.

here are some links for the ram i mentioned

note(if i go with the 2X2GB i would double the order so i wind up with 8GB total either way)
2x2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2x4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

help me out guys

More about : sticks 2gb sticks 4gb

a b } Memory
November 8, 2010 10:09:32 PM

The 2x4GB is better, lower latencies (and lower cost/GB). If you are using Windows, you should be using a 64-bit version to use more than 4GB of RAM because the 32-bit versions can only see and use about 3.5 GB of memory.
m
l
November 8, 2010 10:21:26 PM

i will be using 64-bit but i thought 2x2GB has lower latencies. compared to the 2x4GB
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
November 8, 2010 10:29:53 PM

Could always do 2x2GB and 2x1GB to get the 6GB you were wanting ! -- just make sure they are same voltage and latency.
m
l
November 8, 2010 10:39:52 PM

i dont think dominators come in 1's but thats okay im good with 8 gigs, still not sure though so any other input would be helpful
m
l
November 9, 2010 12:08:14 AM

Quote:
yes but you don't really want to use up all four slots if you can avoid it.
that configuration will run in dual mode but just go 8GB(2x4GB) in dual mode and be done with it..
all four slots can lead to voltage issues first and who wants the extra though slight heat.

Did not know that about the voltage issues - thanks.
m
l
a b } Memory
November 9, 2010 2:28:19 AM

treefrog07 said:
The 2x4GB is better, lower latencies (and lower cost/GB). If you are using Windows, you should be using a 64-bit version to use more than 4GB of RAM because the 32-bit versions can only see and use about 3.5 GB of memory.

^+1. Go for 2x4GB, if money can afford. Two sticks of 4 GB memory gives the motherboard less strain than 4 sticks of 2 GB. But if you're more budgetive, go for 4x2GB.
m
l
a b } Memory
November 11, 2010 4:33:55 AM

I don't which one is better:

Ripjaws are cheaper than Dominator and still gets overclocked quite good, although not as good as Dominator.

Dominator is slightly more expensive, but it gets high overclock ability.

... that's uh... you can't go wrong with either.
m
l
!