Sign in with
Your question

Fan face up or down?

Last response: in Systems
March 12, 2010 6:42:34 PM

Ok, stupid question, but I want to make sure i do this right.

I have the earthwatts 650. It has an internal fan (its not where the plug is but on the side). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have the Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

When installing the Power supply, does the fan face the top of the computer or the bottom? if installed on the bottom, there's only abotu 1/2 inch opening before the bottom of the case.

Thank you

More about : fan face

March 12, 2010 6:44:57 PM

Id have it facing towards the top of the case, as the case fan at the top should blow out the warm air. if it blows the warm air down, the warm air will just raise back up, making the psu quite hot, and probably quite noisy as the fan will need to work harder.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
March 12, 2010 6:54:05 PM

The fan on the PSU sucks air out of the case, it doesn't blow warm air into the case.

You can install it either way. You'll get differing opinions on which way it should face, but it really doesn't matter. I know some people argue that the PSU doesn't get enough air input when facing down, but the spacing gives it enough IMO. I would rather have it not fighting the airflow inside the case. The top and rear fans are exhausting air out the top and back of the case, so if you have the PSU at the bottom sucking air down it disrupts the airflow IMO.
m
l
March 12, 2010 6:55:53 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
The fan on the PSU sucks air out of the case, it doesn't blow warm air into the case.

You can install it either way. You'll get differing opinions on which way it should face, but it really doesn't matter. I know some people argue that the PSU doesn't get enough air input when facing down, but the spacing gives it enough IMO. I would rather have it not fighting the airflow inside the case. The top and rear fans are exhausting air out the top and back of the case, so if you have the PSU at the bottom sucking air down it disrupts the airflow IMO.

Ah, thanks for that.

m
l
!