Sign in with
Your question

Case fan help?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 20, 2010 7:54:17 PM

Hi guys, trying to learn a bit more about computers and stuff here, so bare with me a bit...

I replaced my vid card and my power supply for more powerful ones, running two monitors now. it's great and worth it!

Now, my computer gets pretty hot and sometimes I get the system fan failure and I have to fiddle around with the wire a bit to get it to work again, but I think it's high time to replace the bloody thing. I don't care much about noise, I'm more concerned about the airflow and whats the best for the dollar?\

Also where would I put another if there's no room for it? I see people with mulitple but I can't exactly see where they'd put the thing!

thanks in advance!

More about : case fan

May 20, 2010 8:10:53 PM

Quote:
Hi guys, trying to learn a bit more about computers and stuff here, so bare with me a bit...

I replaced my vid card and my power supply for more powerful ones, running two monitors now. it's great and worth it!

Now, my computer gets pretty hot and sometimes I get the system fan failure and I have to fiddle around with the wire a bit to get it to work again, but I think it's high time to replace the bloody thing. I don't care much about noise, I'm more concerned about the airflow and whats the best for the dollar?\

Also where would I put another if there's no room for it? I see people with mulitple but I can't exactly see where they'd put the thing!

thanks in advance!

What case are you useing so we know what size of fan youneed to better help you.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 20, 2010 8:27:48 PM

Different fan configurations depend largely on your PC case. If you don't have the capacity in your case for multiple fans then there's not an awful lot you can do other than a case mod. However, if you mean you don't have enough connectors then there are several ways around this. Most modern PC case fans come with a standard molex power connector so you can plug them straight into your PSU.

For more information on different fan configurations, I can point you to my guide which is linked to in my signature below. Post back if you need anything else. Best of luck!
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 20, 2010 8:45:19 PM

Since it's an OEM case you're pretty limited on your cooling options but you should still be able to achieve sufficient cooling nevertheles. Can you see any spare grills where fans could be fixed or are all of your spaces used already?
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 20, 2010 8:47:19 PM

I don`t see any spares no, just the one really.

So the best thing to do would be get the best fan available right?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 20, 2010 9:46:29 PM

You can't go wrong with most brand-name system fans. You will have to make sure it's the same size as your current one though. Measure the length of a side in millimetres. Chances are it will 80mm but it may be 90 or 120mm etc. This is the size you'll need to purchase. Ensure that when you fit it you mount it so that air will flow in the correct direction and you're sorted. Best of luck!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 21, 2010 3:14:07 AM

Does the case only have the one rear exhaust fan?

As moody suggested I would replace that with a better performing model. if you don't have a metric scale, measure it in inches and convert.

There really should be another case fan added to that case if heat is becoming an issue. If you are comfortable with making a hole for a new fan that might be your best bet. From the images i've seen it almost looks like there is a solid square in the center of the side panel that might be a good spot for an inlet fan. if you could fit a low rpm 120mm fan here that might be just what the doctor ordered.

m
l
May 21, 2010 3:47:09 AM

I was hoping to be able to see technical drawings or be able to find em. Some cases have extra front mounts for fans but hidden behind plastic. It’s a bit daunting for some ppl even to think about cutting a hole in the case, I know I felt that way some years back not now tho lol.
I can’t see any extra grill on the back of that case for fan mounting but like ssddx suggested cutting a hole in the side might be your best option.

If you decide to do this get some low tack masking tape and cover the side of your case with it. This will allow you to mark out where you want to put the hole without marking your case and offer some protection to the finish while you are working on it. Don’t worry as long as you use low tack masking tape (the paper type usually) it will come off easy and without leavening nasty sticky bits. You can put the new fan you buy onto the case side once you have done this if you draw round the fan with a pencil where you wish to install it mark the screw holes at the same time. Now you will need to find the centre of the square you will have marked on the tape just draw two lines from corner to corner diagonally where the two lines meet is the centre. Now to cut the hole you can use several methods to cut but I suggest a hole saw be careful of the size of hole saw you use a little too small is no prob to big tho is bad, after you have done this drill out the screw holes you marked earlier. Use a half round file to remove and burring, rough edges and then use some rubber trim to cover the cut edge and make it look neat >> http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5096/mol-04/Slim_C-St... something like that. Now you’re ready to install the fan ;) 

And replace that old fan to
m
l
!