Sign in with
Your question

Tried to overclock Intel CPU's with no luck

Last response: in Overclocking
January 13, 2013 3:26:43 PM

I tried to overclock my CPU's, but it seems like something is running correctly.

I have a intel i7 930 with a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

Perhaps it could be a voltage issue? I followed some youtube instructions, but I also modified the ram in the past to 12GB. 8GB are Corsair, the other 4GB are off brand but they all should be the same type. It seems when I try to Overclock from the standard 2.8 to say 3.4, it'll want to adjust my ram, but it won't boot after that.

If I leave my ram set to how it is now, it'll boot extremely slowly.

(I'm very new to overclocking so I'm not sure how this works)

I just need higher CPU's to Render projects a bit faster. Was thinking about buying a 4.2GHZ Amd Quad Processor or perhaps a 6 Core, but it'll likely be too hard to install with water cooling already in place, and I've been told Intel i7's are the best...but too expensive for me to buy a new set atm with not much of an upgrade.

If anyone could run me through exactly what I'd need to look for when overclocking CPU?

I made sure everything was set correctly besides the RAM, and the Voltage which I know nothing about when overclocking, so perhaps that's the main issue.

(Currently I just set it to Turbo default, with Extreme setting on Ram, no idea what this really does, but hopefully it's okay)
January 13, 2013 4:17:41 PM

well it is triple channel, just 1 channel is not the exact brand as the other two.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 6:13:05 PM

yep and that tends to cause trouble i bet if you take out the one thats a different brand and do your overclock there won't be any trouble
January 13, 2013 10:35:02 PM

That's a big trade off....a higher CPU clocked CPU or 4GB less Ram...which would be like $25+ to buy more...*sigh* I suppose I'll just wait until I need a new motherboard or when someone of experience can set the Ram manually. Honestly, no matter the brand, if it's the same type it should work theoretically.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 10:55:57 PM

tends to cause problems is a little of an overstatement.

if memory serves me well, when you raise the clocks on that processor you are change the clocks of the ram and other components. i suggest reading up on some overclocking guides.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 11:16:48 PM

Desolater said:
That's a big trade off....a higher CPU clocked CPU or 4GB less Ram...which would be like $25+ to buy more...*sigh* I suppose I'll just wait until I need a new motherboard or when someone of experience can set the Ram manually. Honestly, no matter the brand, if it's the same type it should work theoretically.

lol your the one who can't overclock
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 11:20:29 PM

cbrunnem said:
tends to cause problems is a little of an overstatement.

if memory serves me well, when you raise the clocks on that processor you are change the clocks of the ram and other components. i suggest reading up on some overclocking guides.

When he says the ram is the same i assume he means it has the same speed otherwise I don't know how he has guaged that
!