Sign in with
Your question

Serious problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 27, 2010 7:02:03 PM

Elo guys, i have some serious problems with my computer.

BSOD, blue screen, black screen, stripes, computer freeze, computer restart... whatever.

This can occur when computer is starting up (even before bios loading), in windows (idle) and while playing different types of games.

Ive been having this issues since December. So its about 3 Months now.

I am using the 10.2 driver. Allso tryed 10.1 and a few of the earlier ones.

I have tryed to uninstall the CCC but it doesnt solve anything.

Allso tryed to install the ATI Tray Tools 1.6.9.1472 (Is this the latest version?) but it just caused even more problems. Cause when i installed it, i suddenly would get error when trying to enter games by clicking on ''game-icon''. So to say, the exe-file of the game crashed when trying to use it :S
So i uninstalled ATI Tray Tools and then i could enter the games again.

I tryed to Underclock the graphiccard with CCC, but that didnt solve anything.

I allso actually raised the voltage when using Ati Tray, but i couldnt realy see if it did any difference since i couldnt enter any games when having it installed.

I have stress tested the RAM Memory withmemtest86+-2.11 , and it shows 0 errors found.

I have stress tested the Graphiccard with Video Memory Test, and i allso shows 0 errors found :

'' WARNING: Your card can be not compatible with this test! If multiple errors will found, try test with onscreen buffer usage or wthout of ignoring colors bit mask.
Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[2010-02-16 16:36:02] Test started for "Primary Display Driver (ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series)"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...OK
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
[2010-02-16 18:00:24] Pass completed (0 errors found).''

I am using the latest drivers for the computers all parts and the latest bios for the motherboard. Alltho, i am not sure im using the latest BIOS for the graphiccard.

The Temperature on the graphic and motherboard is all normal. Around 50 in Load and 35 in Idle.

I have tryed to reinstall windows, but that didnt solve the problem either.

I have tryed to take on of the graphiccard, and it helped for 1 day, but then the problems came back again. The card i took off, was the 1 i i didnt stress test yet.

I looked in BIOS to manually set the RAM-Memorys Volt, but i cant rly find it there. What is the usually name of the RAM-Memory in bios using an ASUS motheboard?

Some of the things i've mentioned might have helped for a maximum of 1 week, but then the same problem came back again.

Ok... so this was loads of information i just typed and i will probebly type even more into it when i remember and finds out more.

Below here i will write the computer Spec and even further below i will copy-past in some of the ''blue screen error messages'' ive had.

My Computer:

System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Motherboard: Asus M4A79T Deluxe

Graphiccard2x) Radeon XFX HD 4890 (Using Crossfire).

PSU: Chieftec Super Series 650W Modular

RAM: (4x)Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 2GB (8GB) CL9 (1.65V)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

HD: WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA, WD Caviar Black 1TB 3.5'' SATA

Chassi: Antec Twelve Hundred Big Tower Black

Fans: ''loads of fans''

Gonne ask a quick question in-betveen here. Is my PSU to weak for this computer? Does any of these part doesnt fit together?

Ok, So here comes the Blue Screen information. I know that some of them arent having the ''ati driver disconnection'' thing, but instead they seems to contain some information about error in the RAM-Memory and even the HD. Why? I realy cant tell...

Ok.. so for some funny reason the computer has only saved the 3 first Minidumps of the blue screen crashes after i reinstalled windows, alltho ive had hundres of crashed. But here they are anyway!

---------

Ok, there we go. A few of the Blue Screen error dumps.

As far as i can see, the last one is the only Blue Screen error dump with (atikmpag.sys) in it. But maybe the other ones are an indirect cause of the graphic problem. But who knows rly...

Just installed the 10.3 Beta Driver. Gonne see how it works.

Nope, 10.3 doesnt work either. Getting stripes on screen after 1 min of gaming.

And once i restarted the computer, it crashed again and i had another error message on blue screen ''A clock interrupt was not recieved on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval''...

More about : problems

a c 130 U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 7:06:09 PM

Run a memtest, or just remove all sticks of RAM and use one at a time.

Disable crossfire.

Use only one card.

Install OS on another HDD.

Only things I can think of.
February 27, 2010 7:40:17 PM

Ok, i have allready done 5 passes in memtest without any sign of errors

I am only using 1 card atm

Ill try to reinstall windows on another HDD, allto, ive reinstalled windows once on this HDD and it work for 1 week, but then the problems came back.

Thanks for your help!
Related resources
February 27, 2010 7:42:45 PM

Yes, see if your system is OK with only one graphics card and be certain to check that they (it) is seated correctly. I've just had problems similar to you that I fixed by making doubly sure that my graphics card is really into the motherboard. Sounds simple but that is what was causing my problem.
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 8:03:39 PM

Okay wow that was a lot to read.

First thing is first your PSU should be able to handle your setup, with 52a combined on the 4x 12v rails. Chieftec's are pretty good with the super series/turbo series as far as I know. (The 1000w Chieftec super series performs in the league of the Corsair HX1000 for a cheaper price). With an HD 4870x2 however I would recommend thinking of upgrading to a 750w, not exactly a critical upgrade but definitely something to look into in the future.

Let's see minidumps are useless it appears since most of the issues are attributed to the below.

The ATI drivers are what appear to be failing. This can be commonly caused by two things: RAM/GPU.

I would like you to check BIOS, and manually set the ram latency's, clock, and voltage to the manufacturer settings.
I know that many ram kits on AM3 motherboards have to be manually set for DDR3 1600 mhz ram because the motherboards enter incorrect settings cuasing BSOD's.

Here's the settings if you need to recall the information on your Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3:
Voltage: 1.65v
Latency's: 9-9-9-24
Speed: 1600 mhz (duh)

Quote:
Update: I should mention I had similar issues with 1066 ddr2 ram, due to incorrect default settings. Memtest passed like 13 times with 0 errors but would still BSOD.
February 28, 2010 1:12:31 PM

doive1231 said:
Yes, see if your system is OK with only one graphics card and be certain to check that they (it) is seated correctly. I've just had problems similar to you that I fixed by making doubly sure that my graphics card is really into the motherboard. Sounds simple but that is what was causing my problem.

Yeah, ive checked so that both of the cards are put into the motherboard correctly. I allso tested to lay down the computer on the floor, thinking that maybe the cards went out of place cause of their heavy weight, but that didnt solve the problem either.

Thanks for your help!
February 28, 2010 1:22:21 PM

AsAnAtheist said:
Okay wow that was a lot to read.

First thing is first your PSU should be able to handle your setup, with 52a combined on the 4x 12v rails. Chieftec's are pretty good with the super series/turbo series as far as I know. (The 1000w Chieftec super series performs in the league of the Corsair HX1000 for a cheaper price). With an HD 4870x2 however I would recommend thinking of upgrading to a 750w, not exactly a critical upgrade but definitely something to look into in the future.

Let's see minidumps are useless it appears since most of the issues are attributed to the below.

The ATI drivers are what appear to be failing. This can be commonly caused by two things: RAM/GPU.

I would like you to check BIOS, and manually set the ram latency's, clock, and voltage to the manufacturer settings.
I know that many ram kits on AM3 motherboards have to be manually set for DDR3 1600 mhz ram because the motherboards enter incorrect settings cuasing BSOD's.

Here's the settings if you need to recall the information on your Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3:
Voltage: 1.65v
Latency's: 9-9-9-24
Speed: 1600 mhz (duh)

Quote:
Update: I should mention I had similar issues with 1066 ddr2 ram, due to incorrect default settings. Memtest passed like 13 times with 0 errors but would still BSOD.

Ok, ive checked out my BIOS looking for the RAM settings there. And what i found was something called DRAM. Is that supposed to be the RAM?
Well, anyway, there was 2 DRAM settings. 1 called DRAM Frequensy and another 1 called DRAM Volt.
So, i set the DRAM Frequensy at 1600Mhz and the DRAM Volt at 1.66V. I had to set the Volt at 1.66 because there where no 1.65 option. Just only 1.64 and 1.66 where the closest ones. Well, i exited and saved the changes in bios, and went on to windows. But the system hanged even before entering windows. So i restarted it, and once again it hanged, but now even before the BIOS..

I am using the latest ASUS BIOS.

Can u change the latency of the card in BIOS?

Thanks for your help!
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2010 2:47:42 PM

Snorki said:
Ok, ive checked out my BIOS looking for the RAM settings there. And what i found was something called DRAM. Is that supposed to be the RAM?
Well, anyway, there was 2 DRAM settings. 1 called DRAM Frequensy and another 1 called DRAM Volt.
So, i set the DRAM Frequensy at 1600Mhz and the DRAM Volt at 1.66V. I had to set the Volt at 1.66 because there where no 1.65 option. Just only 1.64 and 1.66 where the closest ones. Well, i exited and saved the changes in bios, and went on to windows. But the system hanged even before entering windows. So i restarted it, and once again it hanged, but now even before the BIOS..

I am using the latest ASUS BIOS.

Can u change the latency of the card in BIOS?

Thanks for your help!

Latencies don't apply to the GPU they apply to the RAM.

Yes Dram=RAM also called DIMM RAM (Dual in-line memory module ram).

Look for DRAM Settings, Configuration, or manual stuff. You need to change the latencies to manufacturer setting.

If this doesn't work can you check the CPU configuration, make sure it's receiving the proper voltage/stock clock. Sounds like it may be a PSU or Motherboard issue.

Wait wait you have HD 4890 crossfire not HD 4870!? dude change the PSU asap to 750w~. The HD 4890 uses 30w~+ more then the HD 4870. This pushes you outside the 650w boundary.
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 28, 2010 4:20:36 PM

He's very fine on power.
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2010 5:12:57 PM

He's using a HD 4890 crossfire configuration

This is using a bare systems requirement:
7200 RPM HDD, no CD or DVD rom, motherboard/i7 920 stock clocks, 2xsticks DDR3, minimum case fans (2 fans, heatsink/1 noctua fan)

Guru3d recommends using at least 750w-800w as a MINIMUM. Tweak town also recommends an 800w+ PSU.

This is his setup:

System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Motherboard: Asus M4A79T Deluxe

Graphiccard2x) Radeon XFX HD 4890 (Using Crossfire).

PSU: Chieftec Super Series 650W Modular

RAM: (4x)Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 2GB (8GB) CL9 (1.65V)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

HD: WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA, WD Caviar Black 1TB 3.5'' SATA

Chassi: Antec Twelve Hundred Big Tower Black

Fans: ''****loads of fans''
March 3, 2010 9:09:34 PM

So, i've now tryed to raise the DRAM and CPU Voltage but i didnt help at all.
I allso tryed to set the Speed Manually on the DRAM and CPU but that didnt work either. So i set the Speed on 1600Mhz for the DRAM but then i tryed to set it at 1333Mhz because i read on the ATI forums that it could help making the system stable. The CPU i set on 3200Mhz, but funny enough that just restarted the computer and made the screen blue until i manually restarted the computer and put it back at Auto.

Anyway, i allso tryed to find where the Latency settings where to be found in the BIOS. But to be honest i couldnt realy find it, and the manual didnt tell me where to find it either. So i kinda gave up on that part.

I have ordered a new PSU, and this time its a Chieftec Super Series 850W PSU.

Link to it here:

http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=386813

(It's a swedish site.)

Thanks for your help!

a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2010 11:17:26 PM

Cool. The 1200w version of Superseries received good reviews (the 850w version apparently is the same design as the 1200w).

I am at a loss at what may be causing the issue. Let me revise the mini dumps again tomorrow, I'll let you know if I find anything.

Do you happen to have another system where you can test the parts? In particular GPU's, HDD and RAM?
March 11, 2010 8:00:25 PM

Yeah, ive now putted the 850W PSU into the computer and it's been working like charm for 1 day now. No crashes or errors.

Thanks for your help
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 12:54:53 AM

Snorki said:
Yeah, ive now putted the 850W PSU into the computer and it's been working like charm for 1 day now. No crashes or errors.

Thanks for your help

I see. Well glad to help, have fun.
!