Convert extended partition to primitive using opensuse

Dhirendra

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I have by mistake converted all my partitions to logical partitions . So I am unable to install windows 7 now. Hence I were to install opensuse 11 so that I could use its partition manager ,but it only creates logical partitions .
Please tell me how can I convert one or more partitions to primitive /NTFS drives using Windows 7 /Vista bootable installation dvd or using opensuse .
Help me.

rabidtech

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007

Sadly, you are mistaken in your assertion that OpenSuse partition manager only creates 'Logical Partitions'. :eek:

Review the help for the partition manager under Yast again to see the options available to you.

IF you created only 'Logical Partitions', then you will only have 'Logical Partitions'.

At worst you may need to perform a new installation. Install Windows-7 FIRST!

Suggested installation for your environment -
- Wipe your current primary partition
- Install your Windows-7 there
- Verify the Windows-7 installation
---- THEN ----
- Use one of the 'Logical Partitions' as your 'root - / ' directory, as your installation target for OpenSuse

Before you install review the following web page, it's VERY helpful for new OpenSuse Linux users:
http://howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-opensuse-11.2-gnome

- Enjoy.....

I have been an OpenSuse user since release 9.x..... 11.2 is truly a stable, wonderfully productive, environment, whether KDE or Gnome.

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
I think you mean primary, not primitive.

- You can (usually) have up to 4 primary partitions.
- You can have up to 1 extended partition.
- You can (usually) have a maximum of 4 primary and extended partitions in total.
- You can (usually) have pretty much as many logical partitions as you like, all of which reside within the extended partition.

I'm not sure if LVM could have anything to do with it as I haven't really looked into that, someone else will have to answer that.