Connecting a Domain client to a home Workgroup network

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi everyone,

I have a domain networked laptop used for work, which connects over the Inet to the office domain server and exchange server for outlook email etc. The domain name is for discussion "Officegroup". Works great (Vista Enterprise). I also have a wifi network at home (Win-XP SP-3) using a Peer to Peer config with a workgroup name of "MyLocalgroup". Works great, shares files and a printer connected to one of the desktops.

The Dell Latitude laptop accesses the local wifi router access point, gets an IP address from it, & connects to the Inet without any problems.

Is there any way to have the laptop domain client "Officegroup" "see" one of the desktop "MyLocalgroup" computers, to share the printer connected to it, without changing either of the workgroup names? The "MyLocalgroup" network is set to share files and folders, and works just fine. The wifi router uses DHCP to set the IP addresses for all automatically within the 192.169.1.XX subnet. I am using a D-Link 655 wireless router.

I have heard of Netswitcher, an app that might accomplish this, but wondered if there were a simpler way to have the domain client be able to share a printer with the home network.

Thanks.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi everyone again. Since there has been no response to this inquiry, thought I'd post it once more to see if anyone has any ideas.

I have a domain networked laptop used for work, which connects over the Inet to the office domain server and exchange server for outlook email etc. The domain name is for discussion "Officegroup". Works great (Vista Enterprise). I also have a wifi network at home (Win-XP SP-3) using a Peer to Peer config with a workgroup name of "MyLocalgroup". Works great, shares files and a printer connected to one of the desktops.

The Dell Latitude laptop accesses the local wifi router access point, gets an IP address from it, & connects to the Inet without any problems.

Is there any way to have the laptop domain client "Officegroup" "see" one of the desktop "MyLocalgroup" computers, to share the printer connected to it, without changing either of the workgroup names? The "MyLocalgroup" network is set to share files and folders, and works just fine. The wifi router uses DHCP to set the IP addresses for all automatically within the 192.169.1.XX subnet. I am using a D-Link 655 wireless router.

I have heard of Netswitcher, an app that might accomplish this, but wondered if there were a simpler way to have the domain client be able to share a printer with the home network.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS