Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel 520 with ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

Last response: in Storage
April 4, 2012 10:19:06 AM

I will be doing my first build and am trying to do adequate research. I plan to have the Intel 520/120GB as boot drive with a Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0 Gb/s 64MB Cache for file storage. In another thread, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/308790-30-p8z68-gen3-... someone said
Quote:
What happens is that when booting up the system the Marvell controller will come on stating no disk found. (I believe that the Marvell controller needs to be dis-engaged but I'm not sure - still reading up, and a newcomer). But apart from that both disks (SSD and HDD) works fine.
I downloaded the manual for the MOBO and for storage it said there is Intel Z68 Express Chipset with 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports, 4 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports, Marvell PCIe SATA 6.0 Gb/s controller with 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. If I use the Intel 6.0 ports for the SSD and the HDD would that eliminate the problem from the quote above? Another question just came to mind...with the OS (Windows 7 Home Premium) on the SSD and me wanting to save my documents to only the HDD, how do I set it up to do that? My current system is pretty old with a single HDD, so I know next to nothing about using multiple drives. Probably the wrong forum for this question, but it's probably a simple answer that most folks but me knows. I have read that when installing Windows with this kind of setup you should have only the SSD plugged in, then only after Windows and all the updates are installed should you connect the HDD. Any additional helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks.

More about : intel 520 asus p8z68 pro gen3

April 4, 2012 11:30:18 AM

The marvell controller can be enabled/disabled in BIOS. If it enabled and no disks are connected a similar message will display during post. This controller is commonly used for additional storage if all of the primary (X68) ports are in use

Your desired configuration, boot SSD and storage will work fine. When you same documents, etc there are two easy ways to send them to the HD. First when you save a dialog box pops up, just specify the path (location) where you want the documents to go.
Second, most applications allow you to specify the default location for all files. Change the default to your HD.

You do not need to disconnect the HD when installing windows to the SSD. It is a better practice to leave it connected. You may need to initialize and quick format the disk before you use it. All depends if the disk is new or used.

Enjoy your build.
m
l

Best solution

July 14, 2012 2:50:14 AM

I have just built a similar system with an Intel 520 SSD and a Seagate 2TB Barracuda.

You can change many of the oft changing folders by using the properties dialog, and select the Location tab (if it ain't present it can't/shouldn't be moved).

Click the move button and browse to the location you want to put it. (Suggestion - first create the folder you wish to move, i.e., Documents, Pictures, Favorites, Contacts, etc. on the Data drive and browse to that folder when using the Move button).

You can actually move quite a few folders to your Data drive - check any for Location tab in its Properties dialog.

I also recommend that you move the Windows Paging file from the C: drive to the Data drive.

Good luck!
July 25, 2012 8:23:41 PM

Best answer selected by nodellsplease.
m
l
!