Sign in with
Your question

Will this SSD work for my laptop

Last response: in Storage
April 4, 2012 12:20:02 PM

Hi Everyone,
Looking to upgrade my HD on my Acer Aspire AS7551G-5821. I'm looking at a Mushkin SSD from newegg
I see this is a SATA III. Is this compatible with my laptop? If not, can someone recommend one that is. Also, any tips with installing? When I purchased this laptop it didn't come with the Windows 7 install CD. I did however make a backup image (6 discs). Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

More about : ssd work laptop

a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
April 4, 2012 1:19:43 PM

yes that ssd should fit since its a 2.5"
i would suggest doing a clean installation on the new ssd
m
l
April 4, 2012 1:25:43 PM

No issue with it being SATA III? I can't do a clean install. My laptop didn't come with the Windows 7 install CD.
m
l
Related resources
April 4, 2012 2:50:55 PM

moosky13 said:
No issue with it being SATA III? I can't do a clean install. My laptop didn't come with the Windows 7 install CD.

oh that could be an issue. doing a clean install in my opinion is alot better than cloning a drive. you could download the iso file for you windows os version and just use the product key on the bottom of your computer to activate it.
m
l
April 4, 2012 3:22:52 PM

Can I use the windows 7 install cd from my desktop and then use the product key from the laptop?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 353 G Storage
April 4, 2012 3:40:47 PM

^ Yes.
Do not enter the "key" during installation. When installation is complete, windows updates are complete, drivers and software loaded. Test system, If happy activate using YOUR laptop key. And yes I've done that.

After activation, then redo your image using windows 7 backup for future reinstalls.

Added: if your desktop win 7 disk is a "upgrade" copy, just use the custom install.
You will need to do a quick regisry edit and send a dos cmd (re-arm):
Method:
A true geek has never been intimidated by the registry, but lets face it, it's a mess in there. To access the registry you will first need to open up the start menu and type "regedit" into the search field, followed by enter. To find the proverbial needle in this haystack, you will need to navigate through the tabs listed on the left in the following order:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ . If you don't like doing it the hard way just click Edit then Find and type MediaBootInstall into the search field, and press enter.

then
simply open up the start menu and type cmd but instead of just pressing enter, you need to press "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "Enter" to run it as an administrator. You can also accomplish this by clicking the start menu, typing cmd into the search box, then right clicking the command prompt application and selecting Run as administrator.

Once the command prompt appears type slmgr /rearm and press enter. Next simply type Exit and hit enter again, after which it will ask you to restart your machine.

THEN ACTIVATE
m
l
April 4, 2012 3:51:27 PM

Perfect!!! Thanks for the info. I must be a geek then because I'm not afraid of regedit.

Is the regedit part ONLY if I have an upgrade copy?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 353 G Storage
April 4, 2012 5:07:23 PM

^ Yes, believe so. Reason is that the upgrade will:
1) reguire a qualifing OS already install OR
2) a Custom installation and in that case it set the flags saying that NOT a qualified upgrade was performed. uSoft added they way around this, ie a HDD crash wipes out your HDD and you have to re-install. Only cavet is that you must OWN the qualifing OS which you do (laptop OEM version).
m
l
April 4, 2012 5:50:29 PM

thanks forr your help
m
l
!