Sign in with
Your question

MOBO for AMD Gaming rig...HELP!

Last response: in Motherboards
November 9, 2010 1:42:43 AM

Hey guys im building a new AMD gaming build and i need some advice on a motherboard.

Its a
($AUD)
$154 AMD Phenom x4 955 BE
$219 4x2gb 1600mhz Ripjaws CL7
$296 ECS GTX 470
$55 Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
$215 Superflower Golden Green 80+ Gold 800W
$135 Coolermaster HAF 912
$79 Coolermaster V6GT CPU cooler

This build will ideally last 1-2 years after the 1st phase of upgrades are complete (ie. Extra vga card + SSD) in about a years time.
I would therefore like it to have usb 3.0 and sata III, and be compatible with SLI for the second gtx470.
If it can also be managed i would like it to have full pcie x 16 bandwidth on both cards, with a lane or two spare for a 7.1 hd sound card later.
Can it also have good overclocking potential since i plan to run this puppy at 4.0ghz most of the time.

Max I want to spend is $250AUD(which admittedly is almost pound for pound US) Sorry dont mean to rub it in ur faces xD lol

Thanks in advance for your help, its much appreciated

Skorch

More about : mobo amd gaming rig

November 9, 2010 1:53:23 PM

Ill vouch for ASUS too
If you go 1 up from Malmental's suggestion and get the Asus M4A88TD-V EVO /USB3 AMD 880G you will get 2x PCIe slots for xfire, although you will get 1 @ 16x and 1 @ 4x............ But atleast you can xfire (Its the board i have and its very good)
m
l
Related resources
November 11, 2010 6:17:00 AM

Ahh ok, So next question...How do you hack a motherboard and is it/can it be a reliable form of SLI?

We are keeping an open mind with the Crossfire, just like 470's atm. Is it likely the 6950 or 6970 will give comparable performance at around the same price?

If so we'd be happy at going for them, and then getting a more budget AM3 motherboard with enough PCIE lanes to pay for other stuff :) 

Thanks for the good suggestions all
m
l
a c 296 V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
November 11, 2010 11:40:16 AM

scorcherfrog said:
Ahh ok, So next question...How do you hack a motherboard and is it/can it be a reliable form of SLI?

We are keeping an open mind with the Crossfire, just like 470's atm. Is it likely the 6950 or 6970 will give comparable performance at around the same price?

If so we'd be happy at going for them, and then getting a more budget AM3 motherboard with enough PCIE lanes to pay for other stuff :) 

Thanks for the good suggestions all

Here is all the info that you need for hack the mobo: http://xdevs.com/eplugins/content/content.php?content.3...

Keep in mind that I'm not recommended to you buy the AMD chipset mobo and hack it, the choice is yours. I only give you the steps that you will need to do if you still want the AMD chipset mobo with SLI

For the GTX 460 vs 6850 vs 6870 Crossfire you can check this two reviews:

1- http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/amds-radeon-6870-685...
2- http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-cross...

In easy words the GTX 470 SLI performs better that the 6850 ins most games, but the 6870 is the winner most of the times between GTX 470 and 6850.

Call me an idiot, but even that results I still prefer nVidia and a single high-end GPU that two mid-end GPU in Crossfire or SLI, more when the available mobos are limit you to Crossfire if you don't feel comfortable with hack SLI.

Obviously I'm talking for an AMD rig.

My point, your choice ;) 
m
l
!