How to increase the speed of wd hard disk?

AzizAhmad

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Hello,
I bought a WD HDD but it does not have the speed I expected or better to say it is too slow. I asked a friend of mine about the problem and he told me to attach a jumper in it but does this method result? I will be happy to have your Ideas about it. Thanks

RealBeast

Titan
It would help if you provided a model number so we know what drive you have. Internal or External?

Applying a jumper will not improve your HDD speed. It sounds like you bought a green drive, instead of a higher performance drive like a black caviar. If that is the case, then there is not much that you can do, other than to use it for storage only.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Tell us what you expected to see, and what you do see. What are you using to measure the drive's performance?

In general, although many SATA drives have a small jumper block of pins on the back edge, you should NOT change any of them. The old need to set a jumper for Master or Slave roles applies only to IDE drives, and you never have to do this for a SATA drive.

There is ONE special case when a jumper adjustment might be needed on a SATA drive. This is when you are using a SATA II (more correctly now, SATA 3.0 Gb/s) unit plugged into certain older mobos that have only the original SATA (SATA 1.5 Gb/s) ports. In some of those cases, the automatic negotiation between drive and controller fails, and the drive cannot communicate with the controller properly. Setting one jumper to force the SATA II drive to slow down its communication rate to 1.5 Gb/s can solve that problem. But it is only necessary in that situation, and it does NOT produce any speed improvement.

On some SATA drives there is one particular jumper setting that puts the drive into a special mode used almost exclusively with server drive controllers. In this mode the drive's motor is left turned off until the controller issues a command to start up. Later the controller can shut down the motor if the drive is not in use. But a standard controller on a mobo does not do this, so the drive never starts up, and appears (wrongly) to be faulty. So, setting this mode with the special jumper position makes your good drive appear dead! This is a good reason NOT to change a jumper setting unless you are sure of what you are doing.