I7 temp skyyrockets

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Hey,

For the past year since I built my PC, my i7 has never gotten over 82C on full load.

Now, I run Prime95 for 5 seconds and it's getting over 90C, before I shut it off because I don't want to let it get any higher.

What's happening? It can't be dust since I just cleaned it out like 2 days ago.

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'd check and make sure you didn't bump the case and the pushpins on the heat sink didn't get displaced from the motherboard. You're HS may not be seated properly for some reason or another. You don't mention it, but have you checked to make sure the fan on the heatsink is spinning when fired up?

fusion_gtx

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
I know this is sort of like asking the same question but do you keep an eye on the fan to make sure it keeps spinning?

If nothing else you could always try removing the heat sink, use some thermal paste remover, and apply new thermal paste.

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
NewBitmapImage-11.jpg

And that's after about 12 seconds of Prime95. Prior to this week it would never get above 83 and 84 on Cores 1 and 2 no matter how much Prime95 I ran.

Yes, the fan is on and is always at 100%. It just cleaned it of dust.

Any other suggestions? I'm really reluctant to removing or checking the heatsink since it involves removing the motherboard and that's very time consuming.

Also, I am overclocked to 3.5GHz @ 1.275V, the same as it's been for nearly a year now. I am using OCZ Freeze and have the XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm cooler, which is supposed to be very good but kinda sucks. :(

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Alright I'll check the heatsink and replace the thermal paste if necessary, but I don't have time to do it until tomorrow so I'll post back here later when I'm done.

Thanks for the suggestions!

And honestly, there more I think about it the more I know that something has to be drastically off, since I'm barely overvolted at all, and running with an awesome heatsink and great cooling, yet getting near 100C after just a few seconds of load.

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Quick Question:

Is there any specified length of time for regular replacements of thermal paste? I hear some people telling me it lasts 3 months and some say it lasts 10 years. I built my PC last June and I haven't changed the paste since then.

Could this be my problem?

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Here's what you get for a 14 year old messing with $2,300 worth of technology . . .

______________________________________________________________________________________________
I removed the heatsink and replaced all the Thermal paste with my year-old OCZ Freeze (old=bad?). I put it all back together, and started it up. It rebooted itself around 6 times before posting and saying that it reset the BIOS because of a bad overclock. I started it up, and booted into Vista. Just as it was about to reach the login page, the screen went purple at the edges and the PC Shut off. I rebooted, and made it into the BIOS. The current CPU temp said 105C!!!! Yes, 105C. Anyway, I shut it off for a bit, rebooted, and then it said 56C, which is what it had always been before. I tried to boot into Vista, it reset halfway through boot. Now every time I get into the BIOS, it says 85C.

WTF did I do? I'm pretty sure I did the thermal paste and heatsink correctly although obviously I couldn't have . . .

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Well, I reapplied the heatsink, and thermal paste, again.

After about a minute of Prime, it climbs to 69C (EasyTune6) or 80-89C in CPUID Hardware monitor.

So the temps are about 6 degrees lower than when I first started, hopefully they will continue to go down as the break-in period happens.

Also, when people say that 70C is a safe limit, which temperature program should I trust?

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Well, from what I've heard 100C is the max for the i7, 80C to be safe.

After 20 minutes of Prime, it's at 92C on Core 1 and 83C on Core 4, with EasyTune reporting 72C, so I guess I'm okay.