Would getting an external Sound Card increase CPU performance?

nazmaz

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I have a laptop with an AMD Athlon X2 64 at 2.2GHz, the audio tends to do a poping noise sometimes when i have several apps open, maybe like youtube, sony vegas and facebook. I was wondering if i got an external sound card like this one from creative labs or this one from sabrent would make a difference in CPU performance, also between these two sound cards, is on really better than the other? I know Creative's a really good brand, Ive never really bought a Sabrent product, nor do I know much about the company. The one from creative costs more, and looks good too, but is it really worth the extra cash, or should I just go with the Sabrent one?

Solution
Makes sense, although this goes against what I said, I would suggest the Creative because it will be much more efficient with headphones. Not only that but the creative has dolby support as well as dts. For the price and by the looks of the build quality, plus the others I mentioned. I would definetly go with the creative one.
hope this helped.
BTW what kind of headphones are you using? Its not important, Im just curious...

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Audio processing, although isn't dependent upon, is generally done on a seperate mCPU made for audio processing. Unless you have an ancient processor, audio shouldn't hinder cpu performance.
Also, my personal oppinion is that creative, although high quality, you are mostly paying for the drivers which allow you to customize the sound, which is pretty cool. But if you want sound that trully doesn't need to be messed with, but have the option I would suggest something allong the lines of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001
It has dolby digital and dts encoder onboard, which are as high quality as your going to get for a budget sound card.
btw sorry if this post is really long. :)

nazmaz

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Im using a laptop, so I'm limited to external solutions. Do you think the sabrent one is good? I pretty much only use my earphones, the line in port, and the microphone jack. I usually have situations when im watching youtube, have wmp open, and also sony vegas and the audio just gives up on me or crackles and pops. Thats why im looking for an external sound card.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Makes sense, although this goes against what I said, I would suggest the Creative because it will be much more efficient with headphones. Not only that but the creative has dolby support as well as dts. For the price and by the looks of the build quality, plus the others I mentioned. I would definetly go with the creative one.
hope this helped.
BTW what kind of headphones are you using? Its not important, Im just curious...

Solution

nazmaz

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I'm just using some sony ear phones that cost me like 10 bucks. I use the line in to plug in the audio for my ps3 and use the earphones to play games. I'm satisfied with the quality, don't really need any Sennheisers.