GPU Choice?

Found all 3 cards available within the same price range (£65-£75), Likely to run mainly driving/racing games but also running some CAD applications so here is the choice:

GeForce GT 240
Radeon HD4850
Radeon HD 5570

or a different card?

Any suggestions or opinions appreciated....im fairly new to all this so any help would be excellent!
7 answers Last reply
More about choice
  1. If your PSU can handle it, the Radeon 4850 would be the best choice by far.
  2. Yes, the HD4850 is the best of those cards by a good margin and the best choice for the budget you mentioned.
  3. Out of those three cards I say the 4850 is you best choice. If you had a little extra scratch you could get the current gen 5750 or 5770 that would perform slightly better then a 4850, but as it stands with those three you'll win with the 4850. I used it for CAD and 3DSM / Maya / Lightwave just fine.
  4. OK, thanks people...price range came from having to factor in a new psu and case! thank nrnx, really useful to know it will run well with 3DSM especially!! Any suggestions on a good price/perfromance psu to go with the 4850?
  5. What is the budget for case and PSU?

If you could please list the rest of your system, it would help in picking a PSU.
  6. Card is £70
    Case around £30 (probably Coolermaster Elite 310 or Asus TA-D31)
    PSU hopefully something £40-£50 but a bit flexible!

Idea is to upgrade slowly, current spec is;

Intel core 2 Quad Q8200 - 2.33 GHz
    4GB DDR3
    stock mobo not sure what it is
  7. sneakywhale said:
    Card is £70
    Case around £30 (probably Coolermaster Elite 310 or Asus TA-D31)
    PSU hopefully something £40-£50 but a bit flexible!

Idea is to upgrade slowly, current spec is;

Intel core 2 Quad Q8200 - 2.33 GHz
    4GB DDR3
    stock mobo not sure what it is

Something like this might work for you

Antec Two Hundred Midi Tower Gaming Case - £35

OCZ StealthXStream 500W Silent SLI/Crossfire Ready ATX2.2 Power Supply - £44

I would have prefered the Corsair VX450 but they do not seem to carry that model.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Radeon Graphics