i need straight answers about ram timings and speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
im trying to understand speed and timings with ram and everytime i google or ask someone i always get a lengthy unnecessary answer
i want to know if lower or higher is better and on what, for example which would be better regardless of speed x-x-x-24 vs x-x-x-27 and 9-9-9-X vs 8-8-8-X

i also read that 1333 speed ram is the so called "sweet-spot" for i7 processors does this mean that for gaming 1333 does the exact same as 1600? if so would it be a good idea to look for ram based on timings alone when only searching through 1333/1600 speed ram?

Solution
Hellstorm did answer the question, you want a simpler version though,
lower numbers=better, 8-8-8-24 better than 9-9-9-27. it means the ram works faster.
however as he also stated to know more you must read more,
one stick of ram in the system may not like the lower timings so you have to balance the timings to what all sticks WILL work on,
insofar as bearing timings in mind when purchasing ram, you would most likely desire the fastest ram you can afford, and remember that motherboards and processors both have their own limitations on which speed ram they will support, which to be honest is more important than timings,
Moto
There is nothing called a sweet spot in RAM's. The 1600MHz will provide marginally better performance than the 1333MHz in the real world. But the higher frequency of 1600MHz would help when overclocking. It would provide a lot more room to the user than the 1333MHz. About the timings i would say it would be better if you had read all the long nonsense that people told you, you would have got it by now. The first value is the most important one. Which is called the CAS Latency (CL).
According to Wikipedia CL is :
The time between sending a column address to the memory and the beginning of the data in response. This is the time it takes to read the first bit of memory from a DRAM with the correct row already open.

For more info:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/26/

I know its long, but to know more you would have to read more.

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

could you please just answer what i asked?

Hellstorm did answer the question, you want a simpler version though,
lower numbers=better, 8-8-8-24 better than 9-9-9-27. it means the ram works faster.
however as he also stated to know more you must read more,
one stick of ram in the system may not like the lower timings so you have to balance the timings to what all sticks WILL work on,
insofar as bearing timings in mind when purchasing ram, you would most likely desire the fastest ram you can afford, and remember that motherboards and processors both have their own limitations on which speed ram they will support, which to be honest is more important than timings,
Moto

Solution

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010

Did you even read the detailed answer you were given before you answered the way you did?

FYI - You will get much better results in the future if you treat the people who know more with respect.

G

I do see his point about wanting a short answer, but if he had given the Wikipedia article even just 5 minutes he would know everything he probably wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.