Megahalems vs P7P55D & Dominator

trikein

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Update
Instead of a new HSF, maybe get different memory with better clearance? Found this. Same latency, 11$ less. Thoughts?

Ran into a little problem while building my first system from scratch. I have done alot of upgrading, and small builds of Micro-ATX boards, but this was the first time I jumped in with both feet on a serious build. Did alot of comparing and reading the of the forums, and found some really good reviews on Prolimatech's Megahalems rev. B. When I unpacked it and started my build, I noticed the clearance on my memory kept me from installing a fan on the back. Hardware is as fallows:

Asus P7P55D-E Premium
Intel i7 3.8Mhz (1156)
Megahalems CPU Cooler
Corsair Dominator 1600 DDR3
SilverStone TJ09 Full ATX Case
Thermaltake 120mm Case fan.
**Leaving out items not relevant to my issue.**

After reading more reviews on the HSF, I see it's actually a known and somewhat common issue. It's more a problem with the aluminum heat sink that Corsair puts on it's flagship memory that is keeping me from installing the fan. Some say you can remove the shield. Other just install 4GB of memory in slot b. Some hacksaw some of the shield off to make room. ::cringe:: Many others just get a new HSF. My question is what is the recommendation of experts here at Tom's Hardware. Long time listener, first time caller, so to speak, so I really trust the expertise found here. If the answer is get a new HSF, what would people suggest? I plan on over-clocking to 3.0, maybe 3.2, but nothing really above that. I do want something top notch though, but waiting to go water cooling until I have a littler more experience under my belt. Thanks for any help you can give.

Solution
Those modules are pretty much the same thing. I've never heard of a board with a CAS preference, beyond of course the memory table in BIOS.

Running at 1333 CL7 would be slightly faster than 1600@ CL8... but we are talking about small gains indeed. Just a few points on synthetic benchmarks. Your 1600 CL8 memory will likely run at 1333 CL7 anyway. It will probably boot up at a default of 1333 CL8 though, as that would be the default most likely.

So get whichever you like :)

I assume you are talking about the entire heatsink, not just the fan. Just a pet peeve... people call it a HSF but the fan is just a 120mm fan and is interchangeable. They really mean the heat sink.

The Megahalems is very strong of course... maybe the strongest...

trikein

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
But then I would be giving up 4GB of memory. Granted, with 2GB of video ram from my two ATI 5770 in Crossfire, the extra memory is over kill, but seems a shame to not use memory because of clearance issue.

As for your second question, no, turning it would only increase the problem. Right now its 3 3/4" from front to back with fan but its 5 1/8" wide. Good idea though.

trikein

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Ahh, you just get more processing power? Hmm, I should have known that. Ironically enough though, up till now, I haven't been big into PC gaming. Thats why I am doing this build, its a great learning experience.

Would that memory work even though its latency? The mobo suggests CAS 8. Maybe this?

And if I were to buy a new HSF, what would you suggest? Also, thanks for the help.

Those modules are pretty much the same thing. I've never heard of a board with a CAS preference, beyond of course the memory table in BIOS.

Running at 1333 CL7 would be slightly faster than 1600@ CL8... but we are talking about small gains indeed. Just a few points on synthetic benchmarks. Your 1600 CL8 memory will likely run at 1333 CL7 anyway. It will probably boot up at a default of 1333 CL8 though, as that would be the default most likely.

So get whichever you like :)

I assume you are talking about the entire heatsink, not just the fan. Just a pet peeve... people call it a HSF but the fan is just a 120mm fan and is interchangeable. They really mean the heat sink.

The Megahalems is very strong of course... maybe the strongest air cooler you can buy.

Here are two others that can claim to at least compete with that one though, that should have fewer clearance issues:

Zalman CPNS9900NT - Zalman was out of contention for a while but they seem to be back
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118054&Tpk=CNPS9900NT

Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme - Gabe likes it and it looks quite high in the air
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/932/4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154011&cm_re=tuniq_tower_120_extreme-_-35-154-011-_-Product

Solution

trikein

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Great information. Like I said before, still kind of new to the computer building world, but I am really enjoying the learning curve. As for the CAS, I was just looking at the recommended memory chart on Intel's site and the manual of the motherboard.

As for the HSF, I always wondered that too. I used to just call it a heat sink, but it was a friend who called it a HSF so I just assumed it was one of those things. Like calling a ATA drive a IDE. I will be sure to correct myself next time.

I actually went through what you suggested and compared it to some things I was looking at. I decided to go with this heatsink, from some reviews I read and the price point. Also at 77mm with a fan, I can add a second fan in a push pull if I want to. (May or may not, I will compare when I start benchmarking temps. Could be overkill) Yes, it's alum. fins, but for my purposes I think it will work out great. Your links for me on the right track though, and thanks so much for your help. Kudos, Woot, and all that is good. :D

trikein

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Yea, i considered liquid cooling for about 7 seconds. ::laugh:: The only CPU Block I could find in the 1156 was in the 70-80$ range, which would push the complete system in the 200-300 range, which just isn't worth it for my CPU. Maybe when I get the I9. But then I will have to get new...well..everything. ::grin:: Thanks again and good luck with your build. Respect