Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Recommended Heat Sink for CPU

Last response: in CPUs
May 21, 2010 1:55:04 AM

In my nearly completed quest to build the perfect system I've heard a lot of advice about what to get an what to avoid. One of the few things everyone has recommended consistently is the Cooler Master Hyper 212+:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've noticed that the price on this particular part has gone up recently and so my budget range for a heat sink has also changed to be much more ambiguous. I'd like to one final time turn to the forums for advice for the last essential part of my new PC in the hopes that someone may provide some useful input into which heat sink will be the best investment.

I'm going to be buying either an i5-750+ASUS P7P55D-E Pro or an X6 1055T+ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB 3.0 (or alternatively Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5)

Any advice is greatly appreciated and I look forward to building this PC over the next week.
May 21, 2010 2:09:20 AM

Slayer697 said:
In my nearly completed quest to build the perfect system I've heard a lot of advice about what to get an what to avoid. One of the few things everyone has recommended consistently is the Cooler Master Hyper 212+:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've noticed that the price on this particular part has gone up recently and so my budget range for a heat sink has also changed to be much more ambiguous. I'd like to one final time turn to the forums for advice for the last essential part of my new PC in the hopes that someone may provide some useful input into which heat sink will be the best investment.

I'm going to be buying either an i5-750+ASUS P7P55D-E Pro or an X6 1055T+ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB 3.0 (or alternatively Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5)

Any advice is greatly appreciated and I look forward to building this PC over the next week.

Hello Friend,

what would you think about TRUE(copper) or H50?
m
l
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
May 21, 2010 2:22:47 AM

212+ is a great cooler, but I don't know if I would spend $40 on it, I got mine for $20 from Microcenter.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2010 2:36:35 AM

If you want something that performs very well and it's cheap, go for the 212+.
If you want to take the cpu to the limit, go for the NOCTUA NH-D14. Impressive cooler with very very quiet fans. It's expensive but it worth.

Here you have a review:
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/noctua...

The PROLIMATECH MEGAHALEMS is always a very good option too and is not as expensive as the D14.

Here you have an interesting article about this matter.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
May 21, 2010 3:42:00 AM

ketrab said:
Hello Friend,

what would you think about TRUE(copper) or H50?

I'd like a heatsink which comes with its own fans. The H50 does seem interesting though. Is it better than cooling with air?
m
l
May 21, 2010 4:35:59 AM

If you're really short on budget and want a CPU cooler that can stand your
overclocking needs and has an option for a 2nd fan?..

I suggest buy the Thermaltake Contac 29 Cpu cooler. here's why..
http://www.thermaltake.com/product_info.aspx?PARENT_CID...

And oh, check out the reviews and the ratings it got. A friend of mine bought one to replace his Coolermaster's V8
coz it cannot stand much to his OC'ed i7 920 procie @ 3.7 ghz. And after installing Contact 29 he's so satisfied and
happy with its cooling performance because its way way better than the V8 specially when he installed a 2nd fan
(same brand and model as the one currently included in the box of the contact 29).

Thank god for the direct contact heat pipe technology, It really makes a difference
when cooling hot i7 and Black edition AMD procies..

In addition:
For just 30$, this cpu cooler rivals the performance of those TOP Thermalright pricey coolers. Im sure
you wont regret buying one like my friend did. its up to you dude...

m
l

Best solution

May 21, 2010 5:17:50 AM

Asking a question like this is not going to get you a definite answer, If you really want a satisfying answer, I suggest you do some research of your own, you can start by picking a reputable cooler, for example, the Noctua NH-D14 or the TRUE, and go on a search engine such as Google, and search for its reviews, there are few reputable reviews sites where I generally prefer over others, for example, Tomshardware, Anandtech, Xbitlabs, Guru3D, Bjorn3D, Tweaktown, Overclockers etc. I would in fact read all their reviews and come to a conclusion myself.

Generally you will notice a patern that certain "Good" coolers will consistently be placed at the top area of their charts, and those "Really Good" cooler will consistently be placed in the top 3 position.

I was in the same situation when I wanted to build the "Ultimate Dream Rig" for myself, and I have to admit I've spent more time reading about CPU coolers than anything else in my rig, mostly because this piece of hardware is controversially subjective. It is common human behavior to over-rate one-self and devalue the others, so most people will simply recommend the cooler they have as "BEST" even when its not.

Now back on topic, I can tell you that during my days of search for the "perfect" cooler for my rig, I stumbled across few "top contenders", to name a few, the Zalman CNPS10X Extreme has been consistent in the top 3 of all the (newer) reviews I've read, so does the Thermaltake Frio, and TRUE had the crown for king of the coolers for a long time, and this was outdone by the Prolimatech Megahalems (which is the cooler I finally bought). Recently, I've noticed that the Noctua NH-D14 has been posting scores better than that of the Prolimatech Megahalems in certain reviews, so I'm going to come out and say, if you have the money Noctua NH-D14 / Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B is probably the most optimal choice here.
May 21, 2010 5:55:05 AM

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/lga-1156-heatsink,review-...

I would go for the Thermalright 120, it does come with fan, also it is much smaller than the noctua and performs similarly so it will fit in more PCs and you will most probably get future compatibility because thermalright always release a bracket separatley.

The cheaper heatsinks like the coolermaster might seem good value but they will probably only work with this generation of motherboards and when intel and amd bring out a new socket, the heatsink will be useless whereas with the thermalright you just need to buy a new bracket for a few dollars

http://www.ultimatepccooling.com/thermalright-mux-120-s...
m
l
May 22, 2010 3:29:11 AM

Best answer selected by Slayer697.
m
l
May 22, 2010 3:40:19 AM

arterius2 said:
Now back on topic, I can tell you that during my days of search for the "perfect" cooler for my rig, I stumbled across few "top contenders", to name a few, the Zalman CNPS10X Extreme has been consistent in the top 3 of all the (newer) reviews I've read, so does the Thermaltake Frio, and TRUE had the crown for king of the coolers for a long time, and this was outdone by the Prolimatech Megahalems (which is the cooler I finally bought). Recently, I've noticed that the Noctua NH-D14 has been posting scores better than that of the Prolimatech Megahalems in certain reviews, so I'm going to come out and say, if you have the money Noctua NH-D14 / Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B is probably the most optimal choice here.

This is the best advice you've given me yet. I've actually come to a similar conclusion that the Noctua or Prolimatech Megahalem is the way to go, but many reviewers keep focusing on how large they are and I've started to wondering about whether or not they'll be the right fit for my case (Cooler Master HAF 922). That aside, I've also been reading really good things about the H50, but for some reason it's not recommended all that often here on THG.

Realistically I will be buying one of these four:

Noctua NH-D14 (or similar cheaper model)
Prolimatch Megahalem
Corsair H50
Scythe Mugen-2 SCMG-2000 (budget choice to tide over until real purchase)

I really like the look and style of the Megahalem and the H50.
m
l
May 22, 2010 7:18:35 AM

Slayer697 said:
This is the best advice you've given me yet. I've actually come to a similar conclusion that the Noctua or Prolimatech Megahalem is the way to go, but many reviewers keep focusing on how large they are and I've started to wondering about whether or not they'll be the right fit for my case (Cooler Master HAF 922). That aside, I've also been reading really good things about the H50, but for some reason it's not recommended all that often here on THG.

Realistically I will be buying one of these four:

Noctua NH-D14 (or similar cheaper model)
Prolimatch Megahalem
Corsair H50
Scythe Mugen-2 SCMG-2000 (budget choice to tide over until real purchase)

I really like the look and style of the Megahalem and the H50.

my impression of the H50 is that while its a quieter alternative to some air-cooling, its not going to offer much in the way of overclocking. I was once interested in the H50, but reading its review I came to a conclusion that cooling capability wise, its no-where near the best air-cooling solution, some reviews concludes that the H50 is a quiet solution, if you don't plan to overclock much, the H50 is a good choice.

another thing is that Corsair instruct the the fans of the radiator to be placed so that it blows into the case (where normally these fans should be blowing out of the case).and this would really destroy any decent airflow you had going inside the case, so consider this too when purchasing the h50, its a great product, dont get me wrong, i'm just nitpicking here.

GURU3D Quote:
"For optimal performance the radiator fan needs to be pointed inwards, meaning it needs to blow cold air into the system. Typically this is an exhaust point. Now remember this, if you have a somewhat limited chassis where you cannot flip around another fan so it'll blow air outside (exhaust) the PC. That would be an issue. Warm air would be blown inwards to your PC components everywhere, heating up the system. And that's just not okay."
m
l
May 22, 2010 6:18:56 PM

arterius2 said:
my impression of the H50 is that while its a quieter alternative to some air-cooling, its not going to offer much in the way of overclocking. I was once interested in the H50, but reading its review I came to a conclusion that cooling capability wise, its no-where near the best air-cooling solution, some reviews concludes that the H50 is a quiet solution, if you don't plan to overclock much, the H50 is a good choice.

another thing is that Corsair instruct the the fans of the radiator to be placed so that it blows into the case (where normally these fans should be blowing out of the case).and this would really destroy any decent airflow you had going inside the case, so consider this too when purchasing the h50, its a great product, dont get me wrong, i'm just nitpicking here.

GURU3D Quote:
"For optimal performance the radiator fan needs to be pointed inwards, meaning it needs to blow cold air into the system. Typically this is an exhaust point. Now remember this, if you have a somewhat limited chassis where you cannot flip around another fan so it'll blow air outside (exhaust) the PC. That would be an issue. Warm air would be blown inwards to your PC components everywhere, heating up the system. And that's just not okay."

The reviews on newegg all seem to point to it as an excellent solution even for overclockers, but maybe I've just misunderstood some of the reviews. Finding Megahalems or Noctua's might actually prove a pain. Maybe my HSF will be the one component I actually buy online.
m
l
May 22, 2010 6:51:20 PM

Slayer697 said:
Finding Megahalems or Noctua's might actually prove a pain. Maybe my HSF will be the one component I actually buy online.

In fact I buy all my components online. Where I live, online-shopping is very convenient, I could literally pay for something and it'll be at my door the next day, haven't had any mishaps so far. So I don't really see the problem of buying your HSF online.

Back on topic with the H50, you are going to get varying results with this, some reviews use 1 fan configuration, some uses 2, some faces the fan towards the case, some turn it outside the case, with this you are going to get a bunch of mix-and-match results. You are going to see some really good numbers, and then you are going to see some pretty bland numbers. With this, you need to step back, and see the "BIG picture"

Allow me to explain, some reviews sites - for the sake of "convenience" takes the stronger competition out of the picture, to make the said product to look like it actually performs better than reality. lets say, for example, we the take numbers from legitreviews and guru3D. Both showing consistent results.

Here we can see that the H50 didnt do so well - in relative terms of course, considering one of your option was the Noctua NH-D14, the H50 in this case was having trouble out-performing its smaller sibling, the NH-U12P.

Now, lets say, another review sites, posting the same results, but - "took a few things out of the picture"

Then, we are going to see really good results, when you see this you are going to think, wow H50 leading the pack, great cooler!

Now with that said, I could also make the H50 look like a complete failure:

Anyways, what I'm saying is, don't read too much into the those reviews, especially not the ones on Newegg, half the people there doesn't know what they are talking about. Get the Noctua NH-D14 if the price isn't an issue, I know I would if I were into building my next PC.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 2:43:51 AM

arterius2 said:

Anyways, what I'm saying is, don't read too much into the those reviews, especially not the ones on Newegg, half the people there doesn't know what they are talking about. Get the Noctua NH-D14 if the price isn't an issue, I know I would if I were into building my next PC.

I can't agree with you more, there are many crazy reviewers out on the loose in newegg space. haha. Amongst my favorites are "This cpu blew out two of my motherboards" "This heatsink is worse than my intel stock" "1 Egg because the heatsink on the motherboard is too hot." most of these that i'm quoting supposedly have high tech level. A laugh at these obsurdities...

Also I do agree that noctua has a great line of heatsinks, that is if you can afford it.
m
l
!