Can i overclock this?

rikimanu

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
I have been wondering if i can overclock this system.

Pentium Dual core 3ghz
Radeon HD 6870
4 gig ram

What im trying to do is just push a little bit more my CPU. I feel it isnt going as well as ebfore even after taking it to the company to check it out.

The MOBO is a g41m-VGS3 r2 g41m-vs3R2.

Just to the point it will feel a lot better without worrying too much about overheating. I am changing it within the year along with the MOBO but i just not entirely sure.

Solution
Hello... I will try to explan your first snap shot... BUT to expalin more details would be just re-peating what is all ready been writen all over the Internet... But a look into your Bios is needed...

In the bottom left of your first Screen shot says...
1)your CPU is running at 1.2 GHZ ( when you took the GPU-Z screen shot )
2)the CPU Multiplier is 6.0
3)the Bus Speed is at 200 MHz ( current FSB speed )
4)the rated Bus speed of your CPU is 800 MHz

below is the INTEL spec sheet of your CPU.

http://ark.intel.com/products/42801/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E5700-2M-Cache-3_00-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

the above items can be viewed in BIO's screen... it is possible that the energy saving mode is turned on in you BIO's when you took your screen...
Hello... if the BIO's will let change the FSB numbers... you can overclock... But typically the Memory speed will also change along with the CPU speed... and can be the limiting componet in an OVERCLOCK... But the BIO's in your ASOCK motherboard should let you Down Clock the MEMORY SPEED as you increase The CPU speed.

Use the HWmonitor program to Monitor your CPU temps as you increase your FSB... your CPU FAN HEATSINK will be to working harder to cool your CPU.

rikimanu

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Unfortunantely i didn´t understand half of what you said. So maybe the question isn´t if i can but how to. All i know is that overclocking come thru forcing the system to work harder and can be done thru the BIOS. yet there are things there that i´m not sure if to increase or decrease.

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Given enough time and effort, I think it's possible to overclock a toaster. :D

If you can snap a photo of the BIOS screen that has to do with voltages and frequencies, I could probably offer some specific help. Not having owned your specific mobo, it's too hard to guess what the exact options on your screen might be...

rikimanu

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
2 things.

Is it possible that my cpu is underclocked? With this i mean it isnt giving it best and not even near that. Not sure if im right but can you tell by looking a tthe image?.

A few months ago my cpu was noticeable faster, noticed by the increased fps and perfomance in overall. Something happened with my HDD which had to be chnged and alogn with it ¨unblock¨the BIOS.
This is an image from CPU-Z hopefully you will understand it betetr than i did. Liek i said earlier my CPU is a intle pentium dual core 5700 or just 3.0 GHZ.

And just in case the timing table.

About overclocking that will be hard, i have no way to take a screenshot of it. I will post everything a later. But wanted to clear this first. Maybe i don´t have to overclocka t all and there will be a simple way to sovle this out.

Hello... I will try to explan your first snap shot... BUT to expalin more details would be just re-peating what is all ready been writen all over the Internet... But a look into your Bios is needed...

In the bottom left of your first Screen shot says...
1)your CPU is running at 1.2 GHZ ( when you took the GPU-Z screen shot )
2)the CPU Multiplier is 6.0
3)the Bus Speed is at 200 MHz ( current FSB speed )
4)the rated Bus speed of your CPU is 800 MHz

below is the INTEL spec sheet of your CPU.

http://ark.intel.com/products/42801/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E5700-2M-Cache-3_00-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

the above items can be viewed in BIO's screen... it is possible that the energy saving mode is turned on in you BIO's when you took your screen shot... cause your CPU multipler should be at 15.

With GPU-Z running can you run something in back ground and see if the Core Speed ever reaches 3000.00 MHz ? to determine this?

Or you can look in your BIO's screen to see if your Multipler is set to 15.

Your CPU multiplier x your FSB = your CPU clock speed
6 x 200 = 1200

Solution

rikimanu

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Changed it and in CPU-Z the Core speed is around the 3000. Can´t believe that could affect so much. The response and pretty much the perfomance in overall is noticeable faster. But now, is that overclocking or it is just working as intended?