New System Build for a small business

Hi all,

Im just designing a system for my parents small business. I do have build experience.
Im just looking for some advice on the comonents, that is cheaper alternatives etc.

Case: Gigabyte GZ-X2 Black
CPU: i5 650
PSU: 550w Gigabyte Superb
GPU: XFX G210
HDD: 2x Hitachi 500GB
RAM: 4GB 1333mhz Corsair
Mobo: Asus P7P55-LX P55
Optical Drive: just some average one.
Win 7 64bit

All of these parts are from foxcomp.com.au

So basically I was wondering if all of these components will work together nicley. I know the PSU might be a little much, however I am reluctant to use other less known brands that are available at the lower end of the spectrum.

Anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
20 answers Last reply
More about system build small business
  1. Theyll work together fine... what are they using it for?
    Id recommend dropping to a i3 530/540 CPU, antec/corsair PSU and you should be good.
  2. It will be used mainly for property mangament, so storing photos and editing them. aswell as MYOB and a couple of other managment programs whcih would need to run together. Would the i3 be able to cope well with this? and given that we want it to last for a while should I just stick with the i5?
  3. Those links lead to some kind of messed up car commercial.

Socket 1156 i5-560 is just fine, for business. All related SW will know what to do with it. Don't see a monitor. Some small speakers might be a good idea, out of the way. Not seeing the power supply but 400W~480Watt GREEN (80+Certified) should be plenty, quiet, and energy efficient. SLI ready would be good, just so you have the right GPU connectors. That's plenty of RAM.

Fix the links and we'll confirm the RAM/mobo compatibilty.

Try a Samsung DVDR .... $25 (goin rate for all of them).

The Smsung Spinpoint 500GB drives are better performance and longevity (JMO).

Win7-PROFESSIONAL 64 is appropriate. OEM is fine.

You *might want to try a Kingston 64GB SSD as the boot/apps drive. Very fast and extremely reliable ... something like a 12 second boot and Kingston is really a "repackaged/re-branded" INTEL Mainstream SSD ... would be best to do this NOW (while setting up) than later (after your mechanical drive crashes). They cost $150 and TOTALLY worth it (reliability alone!). When they DO fail ... they just stop writing ... You can still read/save data, save a few corrupted files. It takes more than 5 years till they start to degrade and this happens very gradually. Lots of warning! I would not trust my business to a mechanical drive ... not now that SSDs have come of age and are mainstream.

= word =
  4. Perhaps falcon look at a athlon quad am3 build, would be a bit cheaper and if anything perform a bit better for what you need it for
  5. Well, the compute-core (on an AM3 Quad) would save him what? $50 .. $75?

... all else being equal ?? ...

Of course, if he went with the latest chipset and the HYBRID INTEGRATED GRAPHICS that would make the savings something like $130, on just the mobo/cpu. He could drop the nVidia card cause the HYBRID graphics are very substantial on the AM3 boards ... nothing at all like the INTEL variety.
  6. Thanks, guys. given that all my other builds are intel based, i will probably go with another intel system. thanks though p1n3apqlexpr3ss. Alvin, I think that the kingston drive would be good.I have one in my personal rig. do you think I should still have mechanical drives aswell. and if so should, i have them in the mirror RAID setup?

RAM: http://www.foxcomp.com.au/ProductDetail.asp?ID=12454
    mobo: http://www.foxcomp.com.au/ProductDetail.asp?ID=12218

thanks
  7. ^ lolwut? the 785G performs just as well at intels new IGP... if anything it outperforms...

Falcon, on your current build, drop to i3, get spinpoint or barracuda 7200.12 drives, and perhaps a 5570 and a antec or corsair psu
  8. thanks guys. the savings on the AM3 sound good as well as the performance increase. hower I have absolutley no idea when it comes to AMD, so if you wouldnt mind telling me that part names, given that they have to be bought from
    www.foxcomp.com.au

thanks
  9. falconerh92 said:
    Thanks, guys. given that all my other builds are intel based, i will probably go with another intel system. thanks though p1n3apqlexpr3ss. Alvin, I think that the kingston drive would be good.I have one in my personal rig. do you think I should still have mechanical drives aswell. and if so should, i have them in the mirror RAID setup?

RAM: http://www.foxcomp.com.au/ProductDetail.asp?ID=12454
    mobo: http://www.foxcomp.com.au/ProductDetail.asp?ID=12218

thanks

yeah, RAID1 is good but I sure wouldn't use it as a boot drive. Personally, I'd rather have them in mobile-racks (hot-swap trays) for rotating backup but, why complicate things for your folks ? If I have a mirrored drive, I surely want each one to be readable as an independent drive (after RAID failure). Still, you should be able to read a failed mirror long enough to jack an external usb drive in and make a "free-back".

There really needs to be a weekly backup stored off-site (fire/water/theft) ... Just make that part of the "friday Routine". Mobile Rack drives are great because they plug right into the south-bridge at full speed (unlike USB which can become a drag, when you want to bolt home.

= Alvin =
  10. OK. fair enough. So do you think I should go intel or AMD?
  11. Well ... It *IS* a business and this system would be coming off the DEBIT side of the ledger ... It will not be over-clocked so should be no heat/cooling stress or ventilation issues. ... Go with an AM3-X3 (Latest Socket .. Latest series Phenom X3 3-core) ...
    ... The 3 cores are inexpensive but plenty for simple photo retouching and "fixing" ...
    ... A fast 3 core ... An "under $100 mobo" ... REALLY GOOD PSU !!! (~$130) ...

Yeah ... a really excellent Corsair 80+ rated 480W~580W and the Kingston 64GB SSD will ensure the requred reliability.

So .. AMD Phenom-II X3 @ ~2.8GHz~3.4Ghz~ and a good (but inexpensive mobo)

A Samsung DVDR ... A caviar Black 1TB HDD or TWO (mirrored). A 300GB+ USB HDD for off-site backup.

A larger, 24"~27" Wide LCD (old eyes .. bad light .. longer distances .. spreadsheets).

Cost reduced case (ANTEC 300 or Coolermaster Centurion)

Wired optical mouse ($20) ... (Full KB with 10-key digit entry and dedicated cursors)

... do not get media type KBs ...

Small (under the counter) 2.0 spkrs (logitech).

webcam/security ? Security DVR functions?

Point of sale peripherals? (cash drawer .. Labels Printer ...)

Photo printer.
  12. Thanks so much for the input guys. I think i will go with the AM3
    p1n3apqlexpr3ss will the 400w be enough though?
    considering possible future upgrades.
  13. The 400w will be enough for most things, its a high quality unit, if you want a bit more juice for future go with the corsair vx550w
  14. thanks for all of your help guys.
    really appreciate it
    thanks
  15. No problem, just glad we can help :)
  16. What HE said.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product