Wireless WEP connection HELP!

Justin_71

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Hello everyone!

I'm attempting to set up a WEP connection for the computers in my home. The connection is functioning fine for the wired computer, and is being broadcast and in range for my other wireless ones. However, when I connect to the network it appears to work - I have the green bars in the upper right corner, it tells me upon double clicking that I will disconnect, the little star is there in the right corner, etc. Next to the star says 'not connected' and I can't use the internet. I know that I need to change something, especially since is doesn't ask for my WEP key... but what do I need to fix?? Please reply ASAP!

Thanks!

Try adding the network to your Preferred List - fairly simple in XP but not quite so in Vista or Windows 7. In XP, when you click the icon and go to View Wireless networks, Preferred networks are in the left hand pane. Click on that and then on Add, fill in the SSID or network name, untick "This key is provided to me automatically" and key the key in twice - once in each of the boxes provided. Click Apply and OK your way out then give it a few moment to decide whether or not to connect. Post back if you have Vista or W7.

rdc363

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Why are you wanting to use WEP? WPA2 is so much more secure and is easier to setup. WEP is broken PERIOD. Any highschool kid who knows has novice level knowledge of Linux can get into your network in under 15 minutes.

Even if your equiptment only supports WPA, use that. If the manufacturers never made updated firmware for your stuff get new equipment. If not one day you might get a bill for some odd thousands of dollars because the kid down the street used your internet connection to p1r8 movies and music