Sign in with
Your question

Questions about core i7 voltages

Last response: in CPUs
May 21, 2010 3:54:40 AM

I have: Intel DX58SO mobo | Intel Core i7 930 D0 | 6GB DDR3 1333 |

I would just like to know a few things involving core i7 voltages when overclocking, I have read a few guides but they don't give me a direct answer to my questions.

1. What is the default Vcore of core i7 930? (mine is set to auto)

2. What would happen if my Core i7 does not have enough Vcore? (eg. 0.5 volts), Would the computer boot or crash at Windows startup?

3. What are the symptoms of very low Vcore and very high Vcore?

4. What is CPU PLL? (I don't see it my Intel BIOS)

5. Do I need to adjust the QPI voltage and DRAM voltage when overclocking upto 3.48 Ghz? (my DRAM settings is set to auto and has a voltage of 1.54v)

Thanks in advance.
a c 131 à CPUs
May 21, 2010 4:36:22 AM

1. 1.375V: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41447

2. Instability. Bluescreen at startup is a sign of major instability. Even more major instability is shown by the computer not booting at all. To ensure full stability, run Prime95 for at least 8 hours without errors.

3. See question 2. You could also get a bluescreen just randomly. In games, for instability of the CPU, random squares of colours that aren't supposed to be there are a sign of instability.

4. Never heard of "PPL" before. http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=cpu+PLL&aq=f&aqi=g1...

5. Not necessarily. You could change the DRAM multiplier instead. Lower it to make it run within specifications. There is probably something similar with the QPI. I recommend you lower them first anyway, then see how far you can push the CPU. Then lower the CPU to stable. Then increase the other multipliers one at a time and see how far you can push them stable. You will need to run memtest86 to determine RAM stability.

Hope that helps. Any more questions or if you need clarification, just ask.
m
l
May 21, 2010 6:00:47 AM

Is there a possibility to overclock Core i7 930 from 2.8 Ghz to 3.2 Ghz without increasing Vcore?

I know that very high Vcore can damage the CPU by having temperatures over 100 degress, but does insufficient Vcore damage the CPU as well?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2010 12:23:35 PM

it will depend on the quality of the chip you get but a 3.2GHz overclock is nothing for the i7 so you should be able to hit that easily on stock voltage.

Truth be told you could probably hit it on less than stock voltage - I overclocked a i7 920 recently to 3.6GHz on 1.25V

Pumping too much power through a CPU will damage the silicon yes, but I don't see how putting too little through it will cause damage - the chip just won't work properly.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
May 21, 2010 1:46:14 PM

^ yep.
I don't have experience with the i7, but my Athlon II x4 620 can go to 3.25GHz from 2.6GHz without any increase to the Vcore.
m
l
!