First build- Family computer htpc $700-900

miamimetro

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 3/19

BUDGET RANGE: 700-900 After Rebates (willing to spend around 1000 if it would make build better)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Playback bluray and highres media to tv via HDMI ,general web browsing, gaming is NOT important.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: monitor, keyboard,mice, etc.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Whichever gives me the more bang for the buck

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe but not now

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920*1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This computer will be for the mom and dad. It wont need to run any games, but it should have a video card capable of outputting 1080p resolution for movies on the tv while at the same time letting work be done on the pc. Not many programs will be on the comp(MS WORD, Rosetta stone..), basically a multimedia computer.

Would like to be/have
-quiet
-usb 3.0 for faster backups.
-Bluray drive for reading and writing blurays
-quadcore
-4gig ram
-1tb hard drive

This was the path i was going, unsure of the mobo (thats why i have 2)
bOcWb.png

My friends advice
uTQQY.jpg

Any advise is greatly appreciated

mahalie

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

miamimetro

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

I like this build whitefang, just a couple of issues. I do need more space (1 TB), and just to future proof I rather get a quadcore. Also can you recommend a bluray drive?

Whitefang is on the right path - for the tasks above i dare say a dual core is fine and an X3 especially with a wee bit of under volting done either in BIOS and/or PhenoMSRTweaker/K10Stat is a nice cool running snappy rig for the folks :bounce: The IGP these days are fine for the above tasks as well and why not go with the latest 890GX?
liha-1.jpg