Sign in with
Your question

4850 Immediate Black Screen on Videos and Games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 28, 2010 1:41:50 AM

Hello,

I've been struggling with this and would appreciate some help.

Everytime I try to open a video file or game, I immediately get a black screen, and I have to hold the power button until shut
down. Youtube now works though.

FX6800-01e, refurbished, recently bought
Intel Core i7 920
ATI Radeon HD 4850
9 gig RAM (upgrade)
Windows 7 Pro 64 (upgrade)
Antec EA650, 650W power supply (upgrade)
SyncMaster 2333SW Monitor
3 hard drives (power drain?)

ATI Catalyst Control 10.2, Latest video card drivers
Windows Update up to date
Gateway BIOS flash done
DirectX 11, came with Windows

I can play mp3 files. Youtube (flash) used to go a few seconds and then black screen. Later it lasted longer and then black
screened if I tried to do full screen. I went to flash settings and disabled hardware acceleration, and now fullscreen youtube
works.

But if I open any video file, whether I use Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, or VLC player, I immediately get a black screen. Same thing if I try to start a game (Fallout 3). There's never even 1 second of video.

In ATI Catalyst 10.2 I tried turning down the settings, though maybe I didn't understand what the minimal settings are. How do I set it to minimum?

Google mostly points to overheating, but I really don't think that's the case. At my computer's warmest, I can run youtube fine. But running the next morning with the side panel off, fan on full, and temperature significantly lower, trying to run a
tiny video file still black screens immediately.

Tried earlier drivers. Tried driver sweeping first.

If I completely uninstall the video card, I can play these video files with the default display adapter, though of course its horribly slow.

I heard I should check out PCI express in BIOS, but this BIOS appears to not have that option.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you
February 28, 2010 7:17:52 AM

It would appear you have two PCIE slots, maybe try putting your 4850 into the second slot to see if the first is faulty. After that I might try to see if the RAM was bad by taking out all but one stick and testing a few by running a game to see if your computer continues to black screen. If that fails then Id get a cheap graphics card to test the system out with or if you can borrow another from a friend.
February 28, 2010 5:26:23 PM

Last night I ran memtest86, and all of the RAM passed without error. Does that rule out RAM being the problem, or can it still be an issue? I have three sticks of F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ (1600MHz and CL 9-9-9-24 ) and I believe it came with 3072MB DDR3 1066MHz Three Channel Memory (3-1024MB modules).

I also downloaded more codec packs, and using weird video players I twice played a few seconds of video files before black screens. It's not always reproducible though. I started to think it was just a codec issue, but still nearly everything gives me a black screen.

Those are good ideas about shuffling cards around paperfox.
Related resources
February 28, 2010 6:52:13 PM

I switched the card to the other PCIE slot. I reinstalled the drivers. The card was recognized. I tested videos and the same problems occurred. I moved the card to the original slot again.

I don't have another graphics card handy, so I haven't tried swapping cards yet.
March 6, 2010 8:59:36 PM

i'm having the same problem, everytime i try to run something my screen goes completely back and i too have to hold the power button to restart it. but the first time mine went there were black and white vertical lines on my screen and from then on it always went black.

Specs:
AMD 965
ASUS 5770
4 gig ram (1333 value ram)
crosshair formula III mobo
640 wd blue hdd
windows 7 home 64bit
thermaltake evo blue 750 psu
ASUS 23.6" 1920X1080 full hd monitor
March 6, 2010 9:13:09 PM

I talked to AMD tech support and ran through a long checklist of possible issues. They concluded that my card was probably bad. I called the refurbisher tech support. They decided I'd done what I could and sent me a return label. I shipped off the machine and I'll be getting a replacement. I'm going to set up the computer right out of the box, test the video, do one upgrade, test the video, and repeat.
March 6, 2010 9:21:07 PM

awww man if thats true thats gonna suck. disassembly time for me i just got it too maybe i'll call em up too just to see if its something else first :( 
Anonymous
April 3, 2010 7:19:36 PM

i had same problem but then reinstall c++ redistri.... goto control panel and check to see in programs if you have c++ 2005 x86 , x64, and the update for 2005 so 3 of those then get the 2008 c++ x86, x64 and its update then uninstall and reistall 10.2 or 10.3 catalyst suite... this fixed all problems for me let me know if this works for u incontrol6253@yahoo.com
Anonymous
April 3, 2010 7:21:38 PM

kelan said:
i'm having the same problem, everytime i try to run something my screen goes completely back and i too have to hold the power button to restart it. but the first time mine went there were black and white vertical lines on my screen and from then on it always went black.

Specs:
AMD 965
ASUS 5770
4 gig ram (1333 value ram)
crosshair formula III mobo
640 wd blue hdd
windows 7 home 64bit
thermaltake evo blue 750 psu
ASUS 23.6" 1920X1080 full hd monitor

i had same problem but then reinstall c++ redistri.... goto control panel and check to see in programs if you have c++ 2005 x86 , x64, and the update for 2005 so 3 of those then get the 2008 c++ x86, x64 and its update then uninstall and reistall 10.2 or 10.3 catalyst suite... this fixed all problems for me let me know if this works for u incontrol6253@yahoo.com
Anonymous
April 3, 2010 7:21:55 PM

!