Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GA EX58-Extreme CPU reaching 100degrees! problem?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 9, 2010 1:49:16 PM

hey guys,

i'm getting about 61-63degrees celsius when my computer is not doing anything but with a stress test using Everest 100% load, my cpu core temperatures reach 100 degrees celsius! Is that normal? Even when i play a game such as Battlefield bad company 2, the temperatures shoot up to 100degrees.

My specs are
Mobo : Gigabyte EX58-Extreme with standard everything including fans
CPU : Intel Core i7 920
GFX : ATI HD 4870 X2

Everything is stock and i didn't change or overclock any of the settings. My system is about 1.5yrs and i've never really paid much attention but about 2 months ago, while playing battlefield, i would get black screens or white pixels all over my screen. Same happens when playing starcraft 2. Could this be a reason for the high 100 degrees Celsius?

Thanks.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a c 111 V Motherboard
November 9, 2010 5:31:02 PM

Welcome Newcomer. There could be several reasons for the high temps, and by the way, those temps are very dangerous.

First thing you should do is clean out the dust (if any) built up on your fans and heatsink.

Second thing you should do is make sure all of your fans are working.

Next, if the problem hasn't been fixed yet, remove your heatsink and reapply thermal paste to the bottom of the the heatsink. Carefully reinstall the heatsink while applying even pressure.

Lastly, if you need to, get an aftermarket heatsink.
November 10, 2010 6:04:47 AM

thanks for the help!

my thermal paste apparently melted and got slightly burnt. There was a brownish burnt mark and the thermal paste was a little runny/gooey.

I did replace my cpu fan to a Noctua NH-D14. Now the cpu temps are about 33degrees C without load and about 48 degrees C with 100% load. Luckily there wasn't any damage down to my cpus! Thanks for your help!
Score
Related resources
November 10, 2010 6:05:10 AM

Best answer selected by loxyz.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2010 6:24:20 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!