Memory instability problem

zachrnz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Hello,

I'm a noob at this, trying to build my first system. Some of you might remember I posted earlier looking for advice on the parts I was choosing. Anyway, after assembling my parts, the computer was unstable and would freeze. No BSoD, it would just stop accepting input with a frozen screen. It did this a couple of times during Windows 7 installation. I Thought it might be the memory, so I checked the BIOS and set the timings to match those from Newegg for my memory (7-9-7-24), but then my machine would not even boot. I also experimented with setting the voltage (1.65). I used the MemOK! button to get back to the BIOS when these changes prevented me from booting. Finally, I set the memory to run at 1066, leaving everything else set to the default "auto", and I have been stable ever since. However, I have 1600 memory, and I plan on experimenting with overclocking. Obviously, I don't want to run at 1066 forever. I really don't know where to start in troubleshooting this problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Here's my system:

ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
i5-750
Mushkin 4GB 1600 RAM
OCZ 600W power supply
Seagate 7200.12 500GB
Gigabyte 4870
Antec 300

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

You may have a bad ram. Try testing one stick at a time and see if your system becomes stable at the rated speed. Run on one, than switch to another.

zachrnz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

Thanks, I had to call it a night before trying the stick swap, but before I went to bed I started memtest. It ran for over 7 hours and completed 5 passes without an error.

Here is the memtest output:

walltime: 7:04:45
cached: 4087M
RsvdMem: 8788K
MemMap: e820-Std
cache: on
ECC: off
test: STD
pass: 5
errors: 0
ecc errors: [blank]

I don't know much about memtest except that I have seen it recommended elsewhere to people with memory problems. Does this eliminate the bad ram possibility?

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
you may just have to work with it. back in may i got some ocx platium rated at 7-7-7-21 at 1600mhz, I've later come to learn that these rating are usually not achievable a too good to be true kinda thing.

But it would boot but i would get random freezes and testing on prime 95 the test that uses the most memory, would cause my computer to crash, so i had to just play with the setting, until i got to 7-8-7-21 so that it would run stably, and it took a few ours to get to that point. But another point, for me the 7-7-7-21 would run in memtest but would not pass prime 95 just a heads up

zachrnz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Ok, so I've been trying these suggestions. I swapped the RAM in and out, tried both sticks alone and found the exact same problems (also learned they don't work if you don't seat them all the way...). I also tried relaxing the timings to the slowest settings, thinking I would work my way down and see how fast I could get them, but it seems that if I take the timings off of "auto" at all, I can't post.

zachrnz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I just noticed something odd. I tried running my board's automatic overclocking feature, and it was able to take my processor a little over 4Ghz and the memory just over DDR3 1600. Stress testing works fine (Prime65) at these levels, so I'm thinking I might not even bother with the manual overclocking. Back to the point though, why is the auto system able to speed up the memory, but I can't do it manually?

BTW I do have aftermarket CPU cooling (Cooler Master Hyper 212).

I should also stress that the original problems I posted have nothing to do with the overclock. Those problems came first.