Article Request: Best Workstation CPU

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Just wondering why there are regular best gaming CPU articles but not workstation CPU's? I'm not the biggest tech nut but i do understand that gaming is more about your graphics card than your CPU and so the gaming CPU articles are not so helpful when you are building a workstation with audio and video encoding in mind. Couldn't find a contact to ask so thought i would put a request here.

arterius2

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
without treading into Xeon/Opterons territory, either the Intel I7 980X or the AMD X6 1090T will be one of the best CPU's to put into a workstation. (for audio/video encoding)

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Saw this on the front page and wanted to let you know that I have a story comparing the Xeon 5500s to the Xeon 5600s in the works, Meta. Stay tuned. Might be a couple more weeks before it's done.

Best,
Chris Angelini

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

ok will do

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

I'm sure as they are the most expensive :??: but would like to see an article with best in price range like the gaming articles.

There is not that big of a difference anymore between desktop/workstation rigs. Asus AMD desktop motherboards even work with ECC RAMs.

In fact, because of the difficulties associated with the NUMA arch, these days a multi-core in a single socket can pack quite a wallop in memory intensive applications when compared to a 2p system with multiple DIMM banks.

Years ago (LOL-it hasn't been that long) workstation cards required extended AGP-Pro slots with supplemental molex power connections. Not any more.

Motherboards with multiple PCIe Gen2 x16 slots are $100. Motherboards with quad PCIe Gen2 x16 slots are less than $150.

SATA 6Gb/s with RAID and USB3? Check.
Multiple 1394a and eSATA? Check.
Dual GLAN? (you get the point :D )

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

well an article for best desktop/workstation would be great

Depends on what kind of workstation your talking about.

Workstation could mean anything from using word documents to typing letters to Autocad or Video editing.
Imo, I usually consider a "workstation" to be a PC that's using a 2P (or more) with a more than normal amount of RAM that will be running Maya, Inventor,etc.