The Sims 3 Graphic Card and Requirements

Lela

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hi,

I would really appreciate some help! I'm thinking of buying a new computer because mine is pretty old, and I wanted to get one that would play The Sims 3 game. Bellow I will put Sims 3 minimum requirements and the information about the computer I'm thinking of buying. I would appreciate if somebody could look over the information and tell me if it meets the requirements. Thank you. :)

Sims 3 requirements: http://www.thesims3.com/game/systemreq
* 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
* 1 GB RAM
* 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
* The latest version of DirectX 9.0c
* Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
* At least 6.1 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games

Computer that I'm thinking of getting:

Gateway SX Series Desktop Computer featuring Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 (SX2800-01C)

Processor Type
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300

Processor Speed
2.5GHz

RAM
6GB DDR3 SDRAM

Hard Drive Speed/Capacity
640GB SATA

ptical Drives
16X DVD+/-R/RW

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT220

OR

Gateway DX4300

AMD Phenom II x4 805, 2.5GHz, 6M Cache
8GB DDR2 SDRAM
1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard drive
16x DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive
Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 graphics card
High-definition audio with 7.1-channel audio support

THANK YOU!!! :D

newbi123

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
i think you list wrong thing up there sx does not have gt 220 if with gt 220 if would be better. otherwise two are similar but it depends on your use. if you do many muti task buy second one but but first would be better due to cheaper price. if you dunt do muti task much, quad is not neccessary. but best is making your own system it will cost you more but if you planned wise you will end up saving money later when you upgrade and stuff. go barns and nobles buy pc magazine they list all sorts of pc ranges budget pc to high performance gaming machine.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
A computer with a GT 220 graphic card is enough to play Sims--however the small case is a real negative if you ever want to consider upgrading in the future to play more demanding games.

How much did these cost, and where are you buying? we may be able to suggest some alternatives.

Lela

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
There are 3 stores that I was looking at, best buy, staples, future shop. I live in Canada so I don't know if there's staples or future shop in US. The computer is around 750 and at future shop it's around 850.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me a computer that would be good to play The Sims 3. I'm not buying a new computer just for that, but since I need a computer I want to be able to play it. I don't play other games so I don't think I will have to upgrade later on, and the list that I put on here I got from the store sites so I have no idea what it all means or if its wrong or right.

Thank you everybody for replying to my post :)

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I cant get into the staples.ca store or the officedepot.ca store without a canadian zip code lol.. I dont want to ask for personal information, but I think office depot might be a good place to look. (maybe give us a town zip near you?)

An idea from newegg.ca (i3, 4gb ram, 9800GT) $719
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229171
(this is a very fast dual core instead of a quad core, but has much better graphics than any of the other options so far)

The other option I see is to get the bottom model Dell XPS or top model inspiron without a graphic card, then putting a better one in it yourself. (it would be very simple I promise) Dell is probably the only manufacturer using decent enough power supplies to upgrade like that.

Lela

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Thank you so much for helping me. I was researching all these computers and I might go with Dell. I was looking at Alienware but I don't think its for personal use as much. The computer that I like is Dell XPS 9000 with the monitor and everything. I read a lot of reviews and they say its good for games and general use, so I don't know if I will have to upgrade the graphic card with this computer. Here is the link, hopefully you can see it.

http://www2.dell.com/ca/en/home/desktops/desktop-studio-xps-9000/pd.aspx?refid=desktop-studio-xps-9000&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1

I'm also not comfortable getting it online and having it shipped to my house, and I don't think I can find it in stores and don't know what stores sell it. Do you recommend buying it online?

Here is the postal code for staples.ca website M6A 2T1, its a zip code for one of the stores so it might work. Thanks!

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Hey,

Dell doesnt sell very much in stores. Maybe best buy, but usually only laptops. Ordering online would be a pain if something went wrong (and has some shipping charges) but if you were to order online dell is a pretty reputable company.

You will much better prices online, but if something goes wrong it is more difficult.

That computer is a lot more than you need.. and seems to be out of your price range? Just to be clear, almost any computer could play the Sims... in the $800 and up range you are getting a performance computer.

If you want to spend more its not bad, but I think you would be just as happy with the Dell XPS 8000 series with the i5 750 processor and the GTS 240 graphics. (This is still a lot more powerful than your original suggestions)
(you would actually be ok with the 545 too if you upgraded the graphics)

I didnt see anything really worthwhile at staples or office depot unless you are willing to upgrade it yourself-- all of those business computers come with minimal graphics unless you get the fully loaded version--and those just cost too much to be a good value.

There are a few other good systems online at newegg.ca. the cyberpower pc company offers great performance for the price, but wont have very good customer service.. so it would be more of a risk. I dont know other good vendors in canada..