Problem with 9800gt ( i think)

G

Hello everyone!
I'm having a problem that shuts down the computer while playing games, and i need to turn off the PSU and on again to run the PC again. i thought that the problem was the PSU but now im pretty confused, didint change the PSU though.
my system :

CPU : DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 3233 MHz
MB : Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L
RAM : 2x2gb of ddr2 800mh a-data ram overclocked to 910mhz
VGA : Gigabyte GeForce 9800 GT (1024 MB)
PSU : Cobaking 420w

after you start telling that its becouse overclocking, well its not! :) it started happening when the system wasnt overclocked.
a funny thing, i thoguht you might wanna know i was playing yesturday battlefield : bad company2 and it did not overheat( if its overheating problem) and my pc didint shut down, then i tried overclocking the card, well it worked and it still didint shut down.Then i downclocked to stock and played.. uhm..Resident evil 5 and colin mcrae dirt2 it had shutten down playing both.Thats a mystery im willing to get help with :)

shubham1401

Distinguished
IMO your PSU is the problem.It seems to be an el-cheapo!
It can't provide wnough power to your system.

After the shut down just touch the cover of the PSU and check whether it is too hot...

G

Hehe, yeah thats was my opinion too, but then could you explain why this doesnt occur on a much more stressfull game like bad company 2 ? even with an overclock to the GPU ?

yeah il try touching the psu, ty for an advice :))

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Power supply issues are usually not consistent, and usually the no-name brands are more consistently over-rated, particularly on how amperage the 12v rails can provide.

G

I checked the stickers on the PSU from inside, and it says that it produses up to 300w @ 12v outputs, if i got it correct :D

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
According to the equation Power (watts) = Volts x Amps, I get 25a. How many 12v rails does it have? Something is telling me it is not enough, but let me check the PSU calc.

EDIT: Your system (depending on number of hard drives and CPU voltage, among a few other things) should be around 220w, needing 15a on the 12v rail. Still, it is a no-name brand, and I wouldn't think that they would be above over-rating it (basically saying it could handle more than it really can).

G

I have one HDD, and cpu voltage is at 1.37. so if its around 220w and this is 420W psu which as i understand gives up to 300W @ 12v rails it should be enough. right ? then whats my problem ? :D

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

Latest posts