Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2010 11:26:11 AM

Alright here is what I have:

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
PSU Antec Earthwatts EA-750
MoBo ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
HDD Samsung Spinpoint 3.5"
DVD Lite-on IHAS324
GPU Power Color ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB(will be using two, through Xfire)
Case Enermax ECA3162 Phoenix NEO
RAM Kingston HyperX

Any advice or thoughts will be welcomed

Thanks
-KM

So sorry for not putting in models and makes etc.

More about : thoughts build

March 13, 2010 2:58:05 PM

You don't really expect us to click each link to figure out what your build is, do you?

Please edit your post and provide details about each part, e.g., CPU AMD Phenom II X4 Processor Black Edition 955
m
l
March 13, 2010 3:08:50 PM

The PSU is OK but I would go with a Single Rail design. What is the exchange rate to USD? ... seems very steep in price.

Try a corsair 750W (80 PLUS) rated SLI ready PSU (if you can get them)

The mobo looks good but you should know that mobos are available with USB3.0 and SATA-III (future ports).

HDD looks perfect and the price seems "nominal"

DVD, another good choice ... they go for about $25USD, over here.

GPUs ... Your choice is most definately a bad idea (cost/fps) ... Go with ONE SINGLE 5870 ... you will be better off !!! ... And be good WAY down the road (when you get a second one at half today's cost ??? Hmmm ?)

Case is fine but cost is high. Just compare to ANTEC 300 and CoolerMaster Centurion (for price/feature) ... It is a personal style and budget decision, tho.

RAM? ... I look for CAS7 ... yours says "CL9" and the specs mention "Programmable CAS Latency", ... first time I've seen that. Not exactly sure what they mean by that.
... What you chose is compatible, tho.

You might want to get a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 CPU Fan/HeatSink (cooler) and some Arctic Silver Thermal Paste.

Enjoy ... It is just fine as you spec'd it out (except for the GPUs). So long as the price and features are acceptable.

= Alvin =

m
l
March 13, 2010 3:15:10 PM

GhislainG said:
You don't really expect us to click each link to figure out what your build is, do you?

Please edit your post and provide details about each part, e.g., CPU AMD Phenom II X4 Processor Black Edition 955

I clicked each link ... Man my fingers are KILLING me !!!

... It DOES help if you paste the Model and description (specific) rather than to just say CPU ... Folks around here can see your specific info and (believe it) they know (at a glance) exactly what your timings and specs are and how your components stack up (cost/perf).

It is kind of a pain to have to wait for each load, just to get some idea of what you are doing.

Anybody here (pretty sure) will tell you that 2x5770s (at first build) is NOT the way to go, as far as Frames-per-second-per-dollar.

= Alvin =
m
l
March 13, 2010 3:33:23 PM

To put it another way ...

Those two 5770s will be dead, in two years ... You will have to toss them both and do something better/faster.

One 5870 does kick ass at respectable/competitive frame rates with "today's" most popular and demanding fps games. ... In that same two years. There will still be 5870s available, but they will be MUCH cheaper and a 2nd 5870, in two years, might actually extend your competitive longevity for another two years (or more).

Worst case is that, in two years, "3D Feelaround" game tech may require something we have not yet imagined. In that case, you will have a nice 5870 to put in yer toddler's kinder-system. (That or neural enhancements).

= chipped =
m
l
March 13, 2010 10:11:25 PM

Alright I have a Sapphire Radeon HD5850, $80 more, I looked for some CL7 DDR3 RAM but NZ is so slow that it will blow my budget out of the water but I have found a CORSAIR TX750 and,warning noobish question, if it is SLI certified will it still run Xfire without exploding? (I want to get another graphics card in the future). Also I cant get any of thoses coolers as I am currently at $1746.62 (After GST - Goods and Services Tax) and that will be pushing it very much.

The PSU:
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentvie...
The Graphics card:
http://www.oczone.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=40&produ...

Cheers
-KM

Also do I really need a 750W PSU, cand I get a 650W and still do Xfire in the future?
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentvie... Found this PSU, 650W TX, CORSIAR 80+ and SLI Certified
m
l
March 13, 2010 10:13:38 PM

And the exchange is 1 NZD gets 0.701600 USD (XE converter)

So I am at 1,225.70 USD
m
l
March 13, 2010 10:52:57 PM

Yes the 650TX is perfectly fine for two 5850s.
I'd stick with the RAM you have and just have a go at lowering the CAS Latency to at least 8-8-8.
m
l
March 13, 2010 11:34:48 PM

Crossfire Ready ... SLI Ready ... Same thing.

Crossfire is SLI .. Like FireWire is 1394.

m
l
!