Sign in with
Your question

XFX 5770 & windows7 64

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 28, 2010 10:55:52 AM

Hello all, I know this has been asked and a simple google search will yield hundreds of posts on the subject, however like most threads they just end without final thoughts or solutions.

I have an I5 750
MSI P55 GD65 mobo
XFX ATI HD 5770
2x2g gskill 1333 ram

I have the vertical line crash problem that seems to be all over the place. I have installed the lastes 10.2 drivers and still have the issue when playing Wow. I run the entire system at stock speeds. It does not appear to occur when doing 2D type things. Anyone know if ATI has confirmed what the problem is? Is it windows 7? ATI? Would i just be better off RMA'ing the card? Any cards known to work? Im fed up with this!

Please help :) 

Aaron

More about : xfx 5770 windows7

a c 271 U Graphics card
February 28, 2010 11:37:12 AM

The Ati fans that frequent this forum won't even acknowledge that the problem exists, so good luck with that.
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2010 12:23:30 PM

That's because the problem doesn't exist. What you need to do if it wasn't a fresh build is uninstall your older drivers properly, and make sure that your graphics card is getting the power it requires. I have three 5770s now in two computers and have never encountered this issue.
Related resources
February 28, 2010 12:47:34 PM

well.. it was was a brand new build with a brand new install of 10.2. I did not upgrade to 10.2 it was the first driver i installed.

If the problem exists or not I just want to figure out how to get it to work on my PC. Driver install is rather dummy proof so i dont think i installed the driver improperly. I have an 650w crosair power supply (TX650w). How do i check to make sure its getting the proper power?
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 28, 2010 12:49:10 PM

nrnx said:
That's because the problem doesn't exist. What you need to do if it wasn't a fresh build is uninstall your older drivers properly, and make sure that your graphics card is getting the power it requires. I have three 5770s now in two computers and have never encountered this issue.

Interesting that you would say that, so why then do ATi not agree with you? I refer to this line from the release notes of the 10.1 & 10.2 Catalyst drivers:-

Quote:
Intermittent grey screen or vertical line corruption may randomly appear on the screen

Source
February 28, 2010 12:54:07 PM

Hey guys, theres no doubt ATI knows that there IS an issue. I doubt there would be countless threads about it if there were no issues. Can we try to keep the thread non-argumentative?

I can start up a new thread to debate the existence, but for this thread im just looking for advice on how to fix it.
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2010 3:37:20 PM

I have the same PSU as you. Make sure you have the 6pin connector all the way into the PCI-E card.
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2010 4:10:46 PM

Your most likely going to have to rma the card. they are trying to tackle a hardware issue (IMO, in some cards) via drivers, that rears it head more than others in some configs. in some cases maybe its downclocking/changing voltage ~states that defects happen. You shouldn't have to tinker with bios/clock/voltage tweaks with a brand new card , just to have it perform normally , stock.
February 28, 2010 9:10:06 PM

notty - I totally agree with you! I think thats what I will do... I just got it from new egg. I guess its time to figure out which card to replace it with. Thinking ill back to nvidia. This is my first ATI card and im not impressed to say the least!
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2010 9:45:09 PM

I have a 4770 that I picked up for 105.00 back in Nov. , I was on the fence with getting something more powerful then myself, a gtx 260 was 140.00 at Best Buy back then, but decided I could only justify what I bought budget wise. There is not a lot of options at 140.00-200.00 right now. The 5770 IS the best card for the money. Just have to maybe try your luck at another one? Or go Gts 250 for 110.00ish .......
We need a Fermi/GTX 260 type model from Nvidia YESTERDAY !
a c 164 U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 3:18:21 AM

I'm an AMD fan, and I know there is a problem. It seems not with all of them, just some. Why this is no one seems to know right now. HardOCP claims they are working with their members and AMD to get bad cards back in the hands of AMD so they can test them. I suggest if you have this problem, RMA the card and try again. Most of them are good, so odds are you shouldn't have to do this more then once or twice. As Nrnx said, he's got three that work just fine.

Not sure what else is out there right now that you could switch to. GTX260? Maybe a 4850/70 if you can find one. Nothing else right now that compares to the 5770 however.
March 1, 2010 11:24:02 AM

nrnx - I will double check that tonight thanks!

I agree notty, the price point on the 5770 is perfect so the decision to give up on the card is a hard one. I think i will RMA back to New Egg as its within 30days. OR go with XFX hoping that they have a different batch of cards. Seems like if New Egg has 1 they most likely have more.

March 1, 2010 1:24:31 PM

I am in the exact same boat. I took sometime to decide on the 5770 and really disappointed in this problem. Right now my new PC is nearly unusable...So, do I keep it and hope that ATI/XFX get this fixed asap or RMA to NewEgg (and swallow the ship/restock fee). If so, I am looking at the 250GTS or 260GTX to replace it.
March 1, 2010 8:42:13 PM

Yeah i hear ya! One thing in for sure though.. There should be NO restocking fee. I have an email into ATI and XFX to get a reccomendation. If either one of them comes back and says to clock differently or change the voltage the card is going back.
a c 235 U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 9:03:51 PM

wb4c said:
I am in the exact same boat. I took sometime to decide on the 5770 and really disappointed in this problem. Right now my new PC is nearly unusable...So, do I keep it and hope that ATI/XFX get this fixed asap or RMA to NewEgg (and swallow the ship/restock fee). If so, I am looking at the 250GTS or 260GTX to replace it.

from my personal experience, if you call newegg rather then go online for an RMA and state the product is no good they will give you a full refund and not take out a restock fee
March 2, 2010 12:24:28 AM

I did the RMA online just after I posted. I will contact them, perhaps they will waive the fee since I will be buying another card. Regardless, adunne let me know what you hear from XFX/ATI, I haven't heard back on my own XFX inquires.
March 2, 2010 10:38:14 AM

I will keep you updated. You havnt heard from XFX? That kind of crushes my hope for hearing from them. We shall see. What is it with customer support these days? Between XFX and ZALMAN im ready to shoot myself! These 2 companies are going to end up on the dont by from list!

As an update I ran some Heaven benchmarks lastnight. I had 1 crash but this time the screen went black instead of the usual blocked vertical lines. Also the benchmark would not even load in DX11 mode. DX10 ran fine most of the time with the exception of 1 crash. I think eitherway I will be rma'ing the card. I will give another 5770 a shot. I am going to hold off 1 more day to see if i hear from either ATI or XFX.
March 2, 2010 12:35:46 PM

Can anyone reccomend a BIOS flash utility for the 5770? It was recomended by AMD that i do this. They said there is a utility on XFX's website that will do this however I have spent the last hour on there and cannot seem to find it.
!