Sign in with
Your question

BAD CPU / GPU or what else ???

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 21, 2010 1:51:46 PM

Guys dunno but after I thought my cpu is stable.... i encountered the same problem like before..... after playing a while the game crashes and its not gpu ... it totally freezes(video/audio).... I'm suspecting that this chip has something to do with that.....

FYI. I ran prime/OCCT 24 hours and CPU passed the stress tests. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282433-28-q9550-temp-...

update 1- So since it system started crashing after OC I thouth I will defaul all bios setting BUT bad company 2 is even crashing after default setting in bios..... dunno what that may be? CPU? GPU? MOBO???

What I don't understand that even after 24 cpu tests my PC was stable..... the freeze happens only when I run graphic applications such as games or I even I did furmark test the gpu at IDLE is at aprox 49-55, under load furmark test gets to like 85-87 and then is when I get freeze. Task manager doesnt work computer is totally freezed up.

I'm lost now.... cuz the freeze looks like it is OC problem but after default setting I still get the same problem, but it doesnt look like gpu though?!?!?!

Help me guys :( 

More about : bad cpu gpu

a b à CPUs
May 21, 2010 2:42:10 PM

Obviously it's a GPU problem. Do you have the latest display drivers?
Also the graphic card needs adequate breating space in the case, else it gets too hot (& nvidia cards already run hot), & crash.
m
l
May 21, 2010 2:46:42 PM

ksampanna said:
Obviously it's a GPU problem. Do you have the latest display drivers?
Also the graphic card needs adequate breating space in the case, else it gets too hot (& nvidia cards already run hot), & crash.

But don't you think the way it freezes its more like cpu problem than gpu... but than again my cpu works on default speed....... its gonna take me forever with xfx to get rma =(
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2010 10:33:49 PM

anybody else any clues?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2010 10:55:08 PM

A bad GPU can cause the whole system to freeze up as can a crashing driver. To eliminate any software as the cause I say do a clean install and see if the problem persists.
m
l
May 21, 2010 11:00:52 PM

Increase the fan speed.
m
l
May 21, 2010 11:02:50 PM

When it freezes in a game does it lock up with the sound repeating in a very short loop?

Video drivers or even sound drivers. refresh them both...

Heat. Take the side cover off. Get some air flow at the GPU.
m
l
May 22, 2010 2:34:35 AM

raybob95 said:
Increase the fan speed.

same thing it doesnt matter
m
l
May 22, 2010 2:35:45 AM

r-sky said:
When it freezes in a game does it lock up with the sound repeating in a very short loop?

Video drivers or even sound drivers. refresh them both...

Heat. Take the side cover off. Get some air flow at the GPU.

Exactly man... when the game crashes the video is frozen and voice is is stocked repeating it self
m
l
May 22, 2010 2:35:52 AM

megamanx00 said:
A bad GPU can cause the whole system to freeze up as can a crashing driver. To eliminate any software as the cause I say do a clean install and see if the problem persists.

this is a clean install....... GPU drivers are from April which is the latest.
m
l
May 22, 2010 2:54:41 AM

ketrab said:
But don't you think the way it freezes its more like cpu problem than gpu... but than again my cpu works on default speed....... its gonna take me forever with xfx to get rma =(

Not at all. It sounds entirely like a GPU problem. If the problem is persisting, with the latest drivers and with multiple different software, you might have to RMA. I'd first check to see if this is a common issue others are dealing with and if not don't hesitate in getting it replaced.
m
l
May 22, 2010 3:53:56 AM

ketrab said:
Guys dunno but after I thought my cpu is stable.... i encountered the same problem like before..... after playing a while the game crashes and its not gpu ... it totally freezes(video/audio).... I'm suspecting that this chip has something to do with that.....

FYI. I ran prime/OCCT 24 hours and CPU passed the stress tests. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282433-28-q9550-temp-...

update 1- So since it system started crashing after OC I thouth I will defaul all bios setting BUT bad company 2 is even crashing after default setting in bios..... dunno what that may be? CPU? GPU? MOBO???

What I don't understand that even after 24 cpu tests my PC was stable..... the freeze happens only when I run graphic applications such as games or I even I did furmark test the gpu at IDLE is at aprox 49-55, under load furmark test gets to like 85-87 and then is when I get freeze. Task manager doesnt work computer is totally freezed up.

I'm lost now.... cuz the freeze looks like it is OC problem but after default setting I still get the same problem, but it doesnt look like gpu though?!?!?!

This is a memory RAM problem, you never said what the motherboard is, but it's likely that the memory sticks could be installed in the wrong slots. The sound is repeating in a very short loop? The memory is out of balance. Is this an Asus board?
m
l
May 22, 2010 4:08:57 AM

ketrab said:

Just looked at your configuration. It's an Asus board, it figures. Install two memory sticks in the two slots closest to the CPU (never mind the instructions). Did the freezing stop?
Now download, install CPUID. Does the 3.3 volt power supply read .54 volts? If so you have a bad chipset.
m
l
May 22, 2010 4:03:27 PM

soundguruman said:
Just looked at your configuration. It's an Asus board, it figures. Install two memory sticks in the two slots closest to the CPU (never mind the instructions). Did the freezing stop?
Now download, install CPUID. Does the 3.3 volt power supply read .54 volts? If so you have a bad chipset.

OK i will keep you posted.....BUT what you think about trying another PSU.... mine is like 3-4 years old... ANTEC TRUE power 650?!?!
m
l
May 22, 2010 4:05:55 PM

Slayer697 said:
Not at all. It sounds entirely like a GPU problem. If the problem is persisting, with the latest drivers and with multiple different software, you might have to RMA. I'd first check to see if this is a common issue others are dealing with and if not don't hesitate in getting it replaced.

Man,

According to newegg many ppl has the temp problem with freezing... CHECK THIS OUT:

Rating + 1 Ugh.

Pros: Runs great when it doesn't crash and force me to reboot my computer

Cons: It crashes after 45 mins-1 hour of play. It runs so hot that I can't touch it for 5 minutes after I shut my computer off. I "upgraded" from a 5800gts, because my 5800 could only play TF2 on the lowest settings, but at least it didn't crash. My 260x crashes even when I play on the lowest settings. It still runs at 90-95 degrees celsius.

I'm ordering an online replacement NOT made by XFX right now, because my hard drive was corrupted after the last crash, and that was the last straw for me.

Other Thoughts: I'm never buying XFX again.

0 out of 2 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No
Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!

N/A
Tech Level: high
Ownership: 1 month to 1 year
This user purchased this item from Newegg

7/29/2009 3:04:08 PM

Rating + 1 7 RMA's

Pros: Realizing that XFX is just a bad company

Cons: I bought this card in dec 08 if failed on me in the begining of jan 09. i had to go through 7 diffrent GFX cards from XFX just to get a working one. finaly they sent me a 280. the 280 they sent me strted overheating. it would get to 107 c after 2 min of crysis!! so another RMA of that card and finaly im working. it took 7 moths from the first time i contacted XFX to get a working card. they never tested any of the card before they sent them to me. and one of them i recived was damaged. the bracket was bent!!!!!! ARRGGGG!!! oh and when they recived the overheating 280 from me they said nothing was wrong so watch out for XFX they may try and send you my bad card.

Other Thoughts: DO NOT BUY THIS CARD GO WITH A BETTER GFX CARD!!!!!!!!!

2 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

N/A

7/21/2009 4:14:36 PM

Rating + 1 Downclocks While in Game

Pros: card looks nice , specs are good "that is if they actually ran at that speed in game"

Also i will be posting all the info from XFX support so you can see what to expect when buying this product , once i completely done dealing with them on this !

Newegg is great guys buy from them just not this item

Cons: These cards DownClock when in game they change from the 3D Performance speed / 3D Low Power / 2D settings constantly while in game . All you guys need to download GPUZ and you will see what they do ! I had this card for over a month so i cant RMA to Newegg and had to deal with XFX the bad part is i had to purchase part by part of my build cause i put so much money into my system to finally get all my parts in hand and find this issue with these cards , and i have two of them so its not just one its all of them , XFX kept trying to blame Nvidia saying it was software issue , Nvidia kept saying no its XFX bad card . After spending over $500 for these two cards and weeks of troubleshooting with XFX and Nvidia they have come to the conclusion that it is the cards and to ship them to XFX for to Refurbished cards , good extange $500 worth of brand new cards for 2 re-manufactured cards that someone already had issues with .

Other Thoughts: If you plan on building a Gaming PC that runs correct and the GPU's work you better use your money somewhere else unless you like burning $500 .
Bottom line and final out come is these cards have a major issue while in game and staying at the set speeds , by the time you realize this you will get a used card from XFX to replace your new ones , hahaha nice deal ! Guess this is just how it works for us people who have to purchase part by part to get a good gaming pc cause were not rich !

2 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vaughn
Ownership: 1 day to 1 week

7/15/2009 9:51:02 PM

Rating + 1 Customer Support recommends Underclocking!!!

Pros: looks great

Cons: video card goes out before the game can load. EX i can't even get out of the plain on cyrsis. the settings are all on high(the game recommends) and no AA. I'd installed Riva tuner to turn up the fans and it does not help. placed a 120mm fan pointed right at it and between the two i can now land in the water before it crashes. Custumer support took almost two days to reply with 3 suggestions. One point a fan at it.(told them i had it in the first complaint. 2 install Riva tuner(told them i had it in the first complaint) 3 underclock the card. I was under the impression that the black edition got better service and such. Still waiting for reply. Will most likey return and get EVGA. My 9800GTX+ worked way better!!!! I may have just got a bad one.

Other Thoughts: Bought at newegg with company account.

My rig...
Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 with side panel and 2 140mm fans
EVGA X58 SLI X3 LE
12gb Corsair Dom 1600 ddr3
i7 920 watercooled
120 OCZ Summit SSD
Corsair 850W modular Power Supply
lg blu-ray and hddvd burner
Manufacturer Response:Sorry to hear you are experiencing such issues. If you have a support ticket please email it to neweggsupport@xfxforce.com and I can look in on the ticket to see whats going on.

External Link(s):
XFX Support|

Did you find this review helpful? Yes No

AznLite
Tech Level: somewhat high
Ownership: 1 week to 1 month

7/11/2009 6:58:19 PM

Rating + 1 TOO HOT!!!

Pros: work great at first ...

Cons: i bought those some week ago and both the 2 XFX black edition GTX 260 died in same time!! What Going ON??????

Manufacturer Response:Two video cards failing at the same time is extremely rare, please contact our support team with the details and we can help figure out what happened and warranty the cards if needed.

External Link(s):
XFX Support|

Did you find this review helpful? Yes No

N/A

6/23/2009 10:15:43 AM

Rating + 1 Another victim

Pros: Works when you downclock it.

Cons: Unstable, the card is clocked to high. I've already RMA'd the first one, and this one is almost worse than the first one was. Crashes in just about every game I own.
It took a couple weeks for the problems to surface.

Other Thoughts: Don't buy this card, get one at stock speeds or get a better card like a 280, 275, 285.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

N/A

6/18/2009 6:41:02 AM

Rating + 1 Buyer Beware - Unstable Factory OC'd Card

Pros: Outstanding performance when it works.

Cons: I've had this card since mid-December '08. COD4: MW started producing random crashes that produced a "checkerboard" like screen with looping sound in the background. Only a hard reset would correct the situation. At least one other reviewer has encountered this issue.

Suspecting that temperatures were a problem, I started monitoring the situation using EVGA's monitoring tool. Idle my card hovers between the low to mid 40's (C), and under load slightly under 60 C.

Downclocking the card seems to help, but if that is a permanent fix, why spend the extra dollars on a factory OC'd card in which XFX should have ensured its stability?

A stable card should not be so problematic.

From what I've read, the XFX RMA process is horrific.

Given the issues this card has, XFX should step up and offer customers a cross-ship option. Going without a working card for up to a month is simply unacceptable.

Other Thoughts: If you're lucky and get a stable card, it will be great. Otherwise, prepare yourself for random crashes.

2 out of 2 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

MajorSpittle
Ownership: 1 week to 1 month

6/18/2009 6:31:53 AM

Rating + 1 Gloom, Despair, Agony on Me

Pros: It worked while underclocked from the BIOS settings.

Cons: Factory overclocked too high. The thing has its fan set to 40% in BIOS and would overheat and crash. I set the fan to 100% and added another fan to my case (2 120mm fans) and it still crashes. Side of my case open with house fan blowing, still crashed. Turned down Memory clock to 2100 and no crashes anymore. RMA'd but by the time I get it I won't qualify for Rebate??? If the next one works it will have cost me 40 bucks more than expected due to shipping and no Rebate. This card uses the 65nm GPU according to GPU-Z.

Other Thoughts: If I had to do it over again I would have got a standard clocked 55nm card and overclocked it myself. I will be mad if I will have to underclock the new card to make it work. WTH XFX don't you guys test these things. Is it worth the added sales to have the highest clocked card even if it doesn't work and disappoints customers? Egg shouldn't carry junk that doesn't work, look at the reviews.

3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

antwon
Tech Level: somewhat high

6/8/2009 12:57:07 AM

Rating + 1 Dont Buy

Pros: This card would be great, and is in most games. But...

Cons: This card when playing crysis causes my system to freeze up and i have to do a hard restart to get my system back up. I did some research online and there is alot of people having the same problem with their cards. Do not buy if you are wanting to ever play any decent game.

Manufacturer Response:We are sorry to hear that you are having a problem. Please contact our support team at xfxforce.com and email me the ticket ID to neweggsupport@xfxforce.com so that I can review the case. Thank you.

External Link(s):
XFX Support|

2 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

not happy

6/4/2009 6:11:41 AM

Rating + 1 Rebate Scam

Pros: It is a good card no problems at all yet

Cons: I filled out the rebate thing goin on allmost 3 months i called them to check the status on the rebate...They could not find mine..they said they have a new rebate center and mine was probley through the old rebate center...He didnt have a number for me to call and i told Newegg about this and they have done nothing BUYER BEWARE!

Manufacturer Response:We are sorry to hear that you are having a problem. Please email a copy of your rebate form, invoice, and any correspondence with us or the rebate house that your rebate is through to neweggsupport@xfxforce.com so that I can review it. Thank you.

External Link(s):
XFX Support|

m
l
May 22, 2010 5:34:50 PM

I hope you get a working card soon. Those reviews seem pretty ominous. If not, maybe you should go with the ATI equivalent Radeon HD 5770 which will at the very least run cooler depending on which one you go with.
m
l
May 22, 2010 6:53:23 PM

ketrab said:

The memory sticks in the wrong slots is a classic problem with Asus boards. It causes the audio to loop just as you described. It causes the system to freeze just as you described. This is not a CPU or Video card problem, not even close.
The problem occurs when the system RAM becomes loaded up.
The Asus motherboard manual contains mistakes. It tells you to install the RAM in the wrong slots.
Something else you want to do with an Asus board is turn off all the power saver features in the bios, and don't install any of the Asus power saver applications. The power saver features cause mega problems.

As far as Asus service is concerned, they don't answer the phone, they do not return calls, and they don't answer email. They evade customers. You should buy a Gigabyte board, and start using your system instead of spending all your time trying to make it work. If you install a Gigabyte board with all of your current hardware, it will work the first time and keep on working.
m
l
May 24, 2010 3:51:38 AM

soundguruman said:
The memory sticks in the wrong slots is a classic problem with Asus boards. It causes the audio to loop just as you described. It causes the system to freeze just as you described. This is not a CPU or Video card problem, not even close.
The problem occurs when the system RAM becomes loaded up.
The Asus motherboard manual contains mistakes. It tells you to install the RAM in the wrong slots.
Something else you want to do with an Asus board is turn off all the power saver features in the bios, and don't install any of the Asus power saver applications. The power saver features cause mega problems.

As far as Asus service is concerned, they don't answer the phone, they do not return calls, and they don't answer email. They evade customers. You should buy a Gigabyte board, and start using your system instead of spending all your time trying to make it work. If you install a Gigabyte board with all of your current hardware, it will work the first time and keep on working.

hey,

So I just did intensive memtest for 12 hours without any errors... do you still think it could be ram issue??!?! Anyway I still have to get new psu and check this gpu at the different rig before doing any RMA just to be sure... Here is couple screen-shoots what you think?

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

m
l
May 24, 2010 3:10:59 PM

?!!?
m
l
May 24, 2010 3:26:07 PM

It's not that the RAM is bad, you don't need to test it.
It's the slots that the RAM is plugged into. Plug the RAM into the two slots closest to the CPU.
Then run the game and see if the computer freezes, the problem should be cured.

There is nothing wrong with the CPU, video card or RAM. You can stop testing them.

If the computer freezes again after changing the RAM to the slots closest to the CPU, then RMA the board. But do the test I told you first.
m
l
May 25, 2010 5:14:06 AM

Kk
m
l
May 25, 2010 3:31:34 PM

soundguruman said:
It's not that the RAM is bad, you don't need to test it.
It's the slots that the RAM is plugged into. Plug the RAM into the two slots closest to the CPU.
Then run the game and see if the computer freezes, the problem should be cured.

There is nothing wrong with the CPU, video card or RAM. You can stop testing them.

If the computer freezes again after changing the RAM to the slots closest to the CPU, then RMA the board. But do the test I told you first.

soundguruman,

first of all thats for all your input. I will check different slot today after work. Just wonder though... wouldnt memtest show any error if the slots are bad?!?!?! Just curious???! :) 

Thanks again. and I will keep you posted.

:) 
m
l
May 25, 2010 3:46:10 PM

The slots are not bad, you have the RAM in the wrong slots
Install 2 RAM in 2 slots closest to CPU
Then try using the game again, the problem should be fixed
No, memtest will not show this, there is nothing wrong with the RAM
m
l
May 25, 2010 3:59:19 PM

soundguruman said:

If this will fix my problem, you are invited to Chicago and I buy you a Polish Beer =)
m
l
May 26, 2010 1:20:12 AM

soundguruman said:

soundguruman,

man its the same thing even when I moved ram to single channel position after a while the game froze again..... I'm very convinced that it is GPU since wayy to many ppl had temp issue with this card.......

:(  ---- help me....
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
May 26, 2010 1:39:52 AM

ketrab said:
soundguruman,

man its the same thing even when I moved ram to single channel position after a while the game froze again..... I'm very convinced that it is GPU since wayy to many ppl had temp issue with this card.......

:(  ---- help me....

I havent read your full thread have you stress tested the GPU. Use Furmark you can check stability of the card it will log the temps and also has a built in benchmarking tool.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/#download
m
l
May 26, 2010 5:40:05 AM

saaiello said:
I havent read your full thread have you stress tested the GPU. Use Furmark you can check stability of the card it will log the temps and also has a built in benchmarking tool.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/#download

FINAL UPDATE:

After intensive tests this is what I discovered.

1) There was a possibility of having a bad PSU so I went to my friend house and used his cooler master 1200watts certified psu on my mobo with gpu to see if this could be an issue. With no luck the gpu crashed on furmark test somewhere around 79 C with 100% fan.

2) I thought it could be my mobo so i played with my rams, did memtest for 12 hours no errors, change from dual to single channel-no luck. I even plugged my gpu to his mobo to find out if I have a bad mobo... Same thing happened on his rig. GPU crashed after getting high temp's

3) lastly what I thought since this is a xfx gtx 260 black edition, factory overclocked I used EVGA precision to lower my clocks.

What I found out that not even at 100% the gpu was working on 85+ C and no crush for about 30 minutes vs 10 on her stock frequencies.

It appears that factory overclock is not stable. My question is now is that the legit reason for RMA??? Since I paid big bucks to have "black edition" and have it OC why would i down clock my GPU if I could buy cheaper gtx????

Don't you think that this card if faulty???!?! I'm tired of Nvidia and their freaking overheating.... what you think ... help---- im tired :(  its almost 1 am and I wonder why didn't I go with ATI but that freaking Nvidia ..........

once again... is this a legit reason to have it RMA and hopefully get a new GPU?!?!
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2010 7:47:49 AM

My 2 cents
I have an Asus engtx260 on an Asus Rampge2 mobo that did the same looping every hour or two. I was so pissed at the time and searched it up (it was a fairly common problem) and decided to hell with it. My only fix with it was play a 3d intensive game for 20 mins and then restart my comp which will usually let me play for a 5-6 hours without a hickup.

The real fix was when reinstalled my win 7 and it just went away. I messed with no ram, no video card, nothing. Just a clean reinstall and it never once crashed on me again.

Just a FYI :) 
m
l
May 26, 2010 1:48:10 PM

ketrab said:
It appears that factory overclock is not stable. My question is now is that the legit reason for RMA??? Since I paid big bucks to have "black edition" and have it OC why would i down clock my GPU if I could buy cheaper gtx????

Don't you think that this card if faulty???!?! I'm tired of Nvidia and their freaking overheating.... what you think ... help---- im tired :(  its almost 1 am and I wonder why didn't I go with ATI but that freaking Nvidia ..........

once again... is this a legit reason to have it RMA and hopefully get a new GPU?!?!

Well this definitely goes with the issues many of the reviewers were complaining about. I'd definitely get in touch with XFX and RMA the card.

Does the card operate normally if you downclock it to the normal factory clocks for a GTX260? If not don't even think twice, you need to get the card replaced.
m
l
May 26, 2010 2:01:44 PM

Slayer697 said:
Well this definitely goes with the issues many of the reviewers were complaining about. I'd definitely get in touch with XFX and RMA the card.

Does the card operate normally if you downclock it to the normal factory clocks for a GTX260? If not don't even think twice, you need to get the card replaced.

when I downclock to normal clocks for gtx260 it appears to look fine... no crushes........ but don't you think it doesn't matter since I paid extra for "factory overclocked?"
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
May 26, 2010 2:21:58 PM

ketrab said:
when I downclock to normal clocks for gtx260 it appears to look fine... no crushes........ but don't you think it doesn't matter since I paid extra for "factory overclocked?"

IMO you probably dont lose much performance by down clocking the card, but it is what you paid extra for so I would call XFX up and see what they can do for you. Ask about cross shipping so you dont have to wait months to get a new card back.
m
l
May 26, 2010 3:07:42 PM

ketrab said:

I do think it matters, it's just nice to have options if you can't afford to RMA (for example, you need the card for your line of work). The best of luck to you with this problem. I read countless reviews for the Radeon HD5850 I'm going to be receiving in the next week before I finally decided it was going to be the right fit for me.
m
l
!