Ga-x58-ud3r rev. 2 or the P6x58d-e

firstimr

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Hello,
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I am considering the ga-x58-ud3r rev. 2 or the P6x58d-e. This will be the first computer I have ever built. I read a thread where Jaquith had trouble with an ssd plus raid 1 on the ud3r. I hope to at some point raid two or more ssd drives and have one or two regular hdds either as stand alone drives or possibly raid 1. Does anyone know if the issue Jaquith had was isolated or if it is an issue that pertains to all the ud3r boards. The ud3r has a pata connection which I need and it has more connections overall. The p6x58d-e is approximately forty dollars higher on newegg at the moment counting shipping costs but I have read that it is more stable overall, has an easier bios for a beginner and it has q connectors which as I understand it make installation easier which would be a plus for me. Thanks in advance for any advice.

GA-X58A-UD3R-10-l.jpg

26162758777l.png

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
P6x58d-e

if you go with the ud3r - you should find religion (if you haven't) and start praying all your parts will be compatible/ recognized/ fully utilized...

pay a lil extra and go with asus P6x58d-e or r3e or msi equivalent

god help you

firstimr

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Thank you very much for the reply. That sounds real bad for the ud3r. Your response and other things that I have read on forums is exactly why I am leery of the ud3r. I almost jumped on ud3r immediately after reading a few reviews that were positive and also because it had a few i/o ports that the asus didn't. Also I was thinking at first that the ud3r was the best overall deal but it definitely would not be if it is incompatible with the hardware that will be used with it.

Can you be more specific as to personal experience or were your statements general in nature and pertaining to things you have read that others have experienced?

Also is true that the Asus bios is easier for a beginner to deal with?

Thanks again I will check out r3e and msi.

firstimr

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I sent Jaquith a private message concerning this as well. This was his response to me. Maybe it will help someone else as well.

jaquith wrote :

"The issue is hardware related, and there are countless posts besides my own about both the UD3R and UD5 MOBOs. The solution would b to purchase a dedicated RAID Controller, or simply to get the ASUS P6X58D-E.

The Quick Connects make it easier, but it's no big deal. As far as the BIOS there are Pros & Cons to each, but normally there are not too many changes needed.

Actually, it is a shame that the GA MOBO had these problems -- but they are UNREPAIRABLE. Maybe in the revision 3?!

I have had 0 problems with the 9 ASUS P6X58D-E MOBOs in my office, and they all are SSD + RAID configured; I mean ZIP issues - flawless!

Good Luck!"

firstimr

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Thank you Jaquith and the others that have responded so much. This has been a real help to me. I have really agonized over which motherboard would be the right purchase. I really want to stay below the 250.00 level. The P6X58D-E seems to be one of the best at the price level I am at. As of now my plans are for the following:

Antec P183 Case
Core I7 950
Gskill Memory Not sure one this???
P6X58D-E
ATI Radeon HD 5570 (I am not a gamer. I am going for good HTPC performance.)
Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 Heatsink Fan (Maybe mild overclocking but nothing serious.)
500-850W PSU Not sure???
Ceton TV Tuner Card

I will be using this system daily as my work pc and it will double as a HTPC as well.
If anyone has any further suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.